California Job situation

Started by minoos
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

minoos

Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a pharmacist in Phoenix and the market is getting pretty saturated here.I have a California license and was wondering how the California market is.It could be northern or southern.I would only move if I lost my job here and couldnt find another job.Thank you for your help
 
Welcome to the matter that all of us 2009 graduates are facing right now. I know how you feel because I'm in Phoenix right now. I don't know what most of our graduating class is going to do.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have fun finding a job in SF, OC, or San Diego. (the desirable areas)

You can find a job in crappy areas of LA or the armpit of CA, the high desert. Cities like Bakersfield or Palmdale/Lancaster. Lots of meth!

Not sure about Riverside but that place is a ****hole too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want a job you can get one somewhere in CA but it won't be in a "desirable" area. So have fun commuting I guess.
 
Have fun finding a job in SF, OC, or San Diego. (the desirable areas)

You can find a job in crappy areas of LA or the armpit of CA, the high desert. Cities like Bakersfield or Palmdale/Lancaster. Lots of meth!

Not sure about Riverside but that place is a ****hole too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want a job you can get one somewhere in CA but it won't be in a "desirable" area. So have fun commuting I guess.

That METH comment made me laugh. Is it really that bad????
 
Have fun finding a job in SF, OC, or San Diego. (the desirable areas)

You can find a job in crappy areas of LA or the armpit of CA, the high desert. Cities like Bakersfield or Palmdale/Lancaster. Lots of meth!

Not sure about Riverside but that place is a ****hole too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want a job you can get one somewhere in CA but it won't be in a "desirable" area. So have fun commuting I guess.

This is the truth. 👍
 
Yeah it is definitely true. If they offer you a job and the area code is 951, 909, or 661, run for the hills.


(I grew up in Palmdale, hehe. Like five miles from a state prison. Yeah.)
 
I am a pharmacist in Phoenix and the market is getting pretty saturated here.I have a California license and was wondering how the California market is.It could be northern or southern.I would only move if I lost my job here and couldnt find another job.Thank you for your help

Keep in mind, in CA we have quite a few new pharmacy schools that have opened up recently. That, plus a big influx of foreign graduates has created a situation where I don't think there's as big of a shortage as before.

You are definitely at an advantage if you are willing to go out to 'the boonies' if you are thinking retail pharmacy, but also hospital. (I'm talking about Northern CA here.)

As for SoCal, I have heard that it's quite hard to land a retail job- esp since there are so many recent grads down there (loma linda, western, USC, San diego- total of at least 500 new grads/year.) Of the people I know who have gone back to LA, 2 of them got jobs b/c their siblings were USC grads so they had an 'In'. The others are doing residencies... we'll see how the job market is when they look for permanent jobs.

Good luck!
 
Theres about 10 Dept of correction pharmacist listings in CA if your into that!

Considering the crap conditions of the prisons themselves, I have a personal feeling that they're just riot tinderboxes ready to explode.

I don't know about the pharmacy working conditions, but this is just the prison system in general. I believe a federal judge basically said we're housing prisoners illegally under the "cruel and unusual" punishment doctrine of sorts in terms of overcrowding and whatnot and ordered the release of several thousand.

AND with the state's inability to pay bills, it's best to do your research in the matter. Usually, state jobs are pretty cushy, but look into it first.
 
Considering the crap conditions of the prisons themselves, I have a personal feeling that they're just riot tinderboxes ready to explode.

I would also be careful working in a prison. If you accidently dispensed hydrocortisone 2% cream instead of 1% as prescribed, you can beat your butt that the prisoner will sue you and the prison.
 
meth :laugh:

i call it the meth-train

you see it everyday

one gang banger walks up to the counter........starts sniffling and coughing........asks for the generic pseudofed......"blue box".........occasionally they will get defensive and askwhy they are asking for ID.........go figure

after his purchase, you see him turn the corner then another 3 or 4 gang bangers are in line..........

we pretty much sell out within 4 hours........

i hate to stereotype........but u can spot the meth runners in a NY minute

i love working in the 661....$$$$$$$....but im so glad i live in the 818
 
Have fun finding a job in SF, OC, or San Diego. (the desirable areas)

You can find a job in crappy areas of LA or the armpit of CA, the high desert. Cities like Bakersfield or Palmdale/Lancaster. Lots of meth!

Not sure about Riverside but that place is a ****hole too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want a job you can get one somewhere in CA but it won't be in a "desirable" area. So have fun commuting I guess.

This is true unless you have lots of connections in Cali....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard of some CA pharmacists getting laid off. Many hiring freezes and cutting back. It seems to be happening everywhere.

I really hope that things will get better when the economy improves (if/whenever that happens).
 
the meth thing is absolutely true. strong correlation between "extremely boring cities/areas" and use... i know bc i went to a 3-day meth conference in LA!
 
I think if CA high speed rail gets off the ground, I'd be more amenable to living in the bay area/OC/LA and working in the central valley. Makes no sense financially (you can buy a cheaper house with a closer commute), but I don't wanna live there.
 
I am surprised why they didn't hook up Las Vegas to the California region of the railway system. The casinos should lobby for it as the costs will quickly pay for itself!
 
I am surprised why they didn't hook up Las Vegas to the California region of the railway system. The casinos should lobby for it as the costs will quickly pay for itself!

I know...I hate driving I-15, not that it's a terribly long drive, it's just that it gets backed up during holiday weekends and usually I'm beat tired from the weekend in Vegas. I just pony up and fly most of the time now unless I can fill up my car with more than 2 people.
 
I know...I hate driving I-15, not that it's a terribly long drive, it's just that it gets backed up during holiday weekends and usually I'm beat tired from the weekend in Vegas. I just pony up and fly most of the time now unless I can fill up my car with more than 2 people.

i mean vegas right now is really suffering with lower room occupancy, having this infrastructure built will do wonders for the city. And with the new CityCenter opening up later this year, its an absolute no brainer for them to attract visitors from California
 
i mean vegas right now is really suffering with lower room occupancy, having this infrastructure built will do wonders for the city. And with the new CityCenter opening up later this year, its an absolute no brainer for them to attract visitors from California


Yeah, a highspeed would be awesome, but I'm sure there are some lobbyists that are fighting this. It wouldn't surprise me if the environmentalists and the Indian lobbyists would/are fighting this. If there was a train, then I believe the Indian casinos would lose business. One of the comments I hear from my friends is that they would go to the Indian casinos because they don't want to deal with the hassle of driving/flying. It's much easier to drive 1 hour rather than 4-5 hours to a Indian casino or even a state-sponsored casino (i.e. Commerce).
 
Yeah, a highspeed would be awesome, but I'm sure there are some lobbyists that are fighting this. It wouldn't surprise me if the environmentalists and the Indian lobbyists would/are fighting this. If there was a train, then I believe the Indian casinos would lose business. One of the comments I hear from my friends is that they would go to the Indian casinos because they don't want to deal with the hassle of driving/flying. It's much easier to drive 1 hour rather than 4-5 hours to a Indian casino or even a state-sponsored casino (i.e. Commerce).

Still, getting to Barona isn't an easy task either. I hate driving up there too, the roads just aren't brought up to par. I was in Vegas in January...that place has emptied out, but people are still going. Traffic is horrendous and will continue to be so on big holidays. The moment the economy roars back, that place will be packed.

The Indian casinos serve a different market and Vegas has diversified enough such that it doesn't rely on hardcore gamblers for as much of its revenue as before.

We'll see...if you can get the fed to pay $$$ in matching funds to develop that corridor, voters would see it has a nice deal. With 2/3 of the state voters in LA/OC/SD, I think it would pass. The amount of $$$ pumped in by Vegas into a ballot measure would dwarf what the tree-huggers and Indian casinos can raise.