California License Transfer Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pokkinbubbles

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I'm confused about the whole situation with transferring a pharmacist license to California/no reciprocity, and I've been searching everywhere for clear answers. I currently live in NJ and just passed the NAPLEX - I'm thinking of moving to California in the future, so I just want to make clear what the steps are in getting a license in CA?

1. Does CA really not allow for reciprocity? I looked at the CA BOP's instruction and application pdf (https://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rph_app_pkt.pdf) and there's a section for a license transfer application if CA is not your primary state, so I'm confused if CA actually does/doesn't allow for reciprocity.

2. If a do a score transfer for CA now, work in NJ for a couple of years, and then decide to move to CA -- is that score transfer still good and I can still apply for a CA license?


Thank you for your help!
 
It depends on your situation. If you’re not a licensed pharmacist at any state yet, you’ll have to apply as a brand new pharmacist in California. You’ll have to pass both the Naplex and the CPJE. Fill out and follow the entire application form.
If you’re already a licensed pharmacist in a state other than California, then you’ll have to apply for a pharmacist license through reciprocity. You don’t have to retake the Naplex but you still have to pass the CPJE.
 
Score transfer for the NAPLEX portion is good forever... you apply to the CA BOP as a new applicant, but only select the CPJE portion on the application.

Currently the CA BOP is not accepting any applications for CPJE nor releasing scores as they found a possible compromise of their recent exams.