• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

pokkinbubbles

2+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Podiatry
Hi everyone! I'm confused about the whole situation with transferring a pharmacist license to California/no reciprocity, and I've been searching everywhere for clear answers. I currently live in NJ and just passed the NAPLEX - I'm thinking of moving to California in the future, so I just want to make clear what the steps are in getting a license in CA?

1. Does CA really not allow for reciprocity? I looked at the CA BOP's instruction and application pdf (https://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rph_app_pkt.pdf) and there's a section for a license transfer application if CA is not your primary state, so I'm confused if CA actually does/doesn't allow for reciprocity.

2. If a do a score transfer for CA now, work in NJ for a couple of years, and then decide to move to CA -- is that score transfer still good and I can still apply for a CA license?

Thank you for your help!

Sine Cura

https://bit.ly/3q8zzca
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Supposedly the score transfer doesn't expire but there is a limited time to pay for a score transfer after you take NAPLEX.

May 31, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
It depends on your situation. If you’re not a licensed pharmacist at any state yet, you’ll have to apply as a brand new pharmacist in California. You’ll have to pass both the Naplex and the CPJE. Fill out and follow the entire application form.
If you’re already a licensed pharmacist in a state other than California, then you’ll have to apply for a pharmacist license through reciprocity. You don’t have to retake the Naplex but you still have to pass the CPJE.

Reactions: 1 users

Pachi808

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Score transfer for the NAPLEX portion is good forever... you apply to the CA BOP as a new applicant, but only select the CPJE portion on the application.

Currently the CA BOP is not accepting any applications for CPJE nor releasing scores as they found a possible compromise of their recent exams.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.