California Licensing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaximusGladius

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is California so difficult?

I have been accepted into a fellowship (current pgy3). The DO board is saying I won't get my Post Graduate training License in time (roughly 7 months away from start right now). And in order to apply for a full license I need 6+ months as others are currently experiencing. Whoever thought of starting a new law in the middle of an academic calendar is a *****.

My question is, wtf do I do? Board is telling me to get a state license for the state I'm currently training in and then apply for full license and my new program is not sure what to do.

Pls halp

Members don't see this ad.

Why is California so difficult?

I have been accepted into a fellowship (current pgy3). The DO board is saying I won't get my Post Graduate training License in time (roughly 7 months away from start right now). And in order to apply for a full license I need 6+ months as others are currently experiencing. Whoever thought of starting a new law in the middle of an academic calendar is a *****.

My question is, wtf do I do? Board is telling me to get a state license for the state I'm currently training in and then apply for full license and my new program is not sure what to do.

Pls halp
Are you the first DO your fellowship program has taken? Why on earth do they not know what to do?
Do what the board says...maybe having an unrestricted license in one state may help expedite your Cali license.

But would start now and hopefully the Cali board can get it done by June.

Unfortunately not having a license could allow the fellowship to pull the fellowship, but hopefully if it’s just a month late, they will just start you late.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you the first DO your fellowship program has taken? Why on earth do they not know what to do?
Do what the board says...maybe having an unrestricted license in one state may help expedite your Cali license.

But would start now and hopefully the Cali board can get it done by June.

Unfortunately not having a license could allow the fellowship to pull the fellowship, but hopefully if it’s just a month late, they will just start you late.

No it was a previous AOA program that turned into ACGME. But this new PTL is throwing a curveball.

At this point I've essentially applied and paid for the unrestricted state license I am in and the training license in California.

Odd. The CA DO board has always been more efficient than the CA MD board. Guess rule changes are screwing them up.

Just make sure your program is aware every step of the way and submit everything ASAP. Nothing else you can do. Worst case, they might need to start you on research. While they may be able to fire you due to not meeting full criteria for your job, if it's out of your control it's exceptionally unlikely the program would do so (the ACGME may require them to extend your fellowship though depending on the specifics of how long you're delayed).

Odd. The CA DO board has always been more efficient than the CA MD board. Guess rule changes are screwing them up.

Just make sure your program is aware every step of the way and submit everything ASAP. Nothing else you can do. Worst case, they might need to start you on research. While they may be able to fire you due to not meeting full criteria for your job, if it's out of your control it's exceptionally unlikely the program would do so (the ACGME may require them to extend your fellowship though depending on the specifics of how long you're delayed).

Thanks. Yeah everything I can do has been done as of right now. Time to sit back and attempt to relax.

With a full license in another state you might qualify for a temporary license in Cali. Usually you just show them your license and pay a fee and they give you a license for a few months. Might act as a bridge

The problem is Cali just changed all of its licensing laws and this has probably created this mess

Good luck! I don't know anything about Cali, but a friend of mine didn't get his license in time to start his endocrine fellowship out of state. They started him late by about 3 months and extended his training. So don't lose hope regarding the fellowship. They'll likely work with you, even if you don't get the license in time.

I just went through the licensing process here (this was for the Allopathic and not the Osteopathic board). It took about six weeks from submission to issuance (mostly held up by paperwork from my training programs. My initial review was about 21 days after I applied). Because of the new legal changes, I wanted to get my license before the end of the year, and luckily, everything worked out.

If you are out of state, I would highly recommend doing the live scan background check, which can take several weeks off of processing time when compared to the ink cards they send (there were several places around LAX for this purpose).

As for the new PTL, I cannot imagine it will take 6 months. This is uncharted territory for both the board and programs (with the associated growing pains). But I am sure if you diligently followup with your programs and the board luck will go your way.

Hey! I'm so glad this question came up and I have a different scenario that I'd like some people who is familiar with the situation to give me some input. I'm a third year PGY-3 going looking to go back to Cali as a PCP. I am planning on sitting for boards in August of this year and planning on starting on full time as an attending in Sept 2020 (as in I'm not doing fellowship). I am confused because it sounds like under the new licensing law changes, I can apply for full physician's and surgeon's license now (knowing it's going to take about 6 months anyway to get everything processed) so that I can start in September? I guess I'm confused because the infographic and wording is not clear... because I think it's meant for explaining the process for people who are going to continue their fellowship training in California.

Thanks in advance!

1578791459242.png

Hey! I'm so glad this question came up and I have a different scenario that I'd like some people who is familiar with the situation to give me some input. I'm a third year PGY-3 going looking to go back to Cali as a PCP. I am planning on sitting for boards in August of this year and planning on starting on full time as an attending in Sept 2020 (as in I'm not doing fellowship). I am confused because it sounds like under the new licensing law changes, I can apply for full physician's and surgeon's license now (knowing it's going to take about 6 months anyway to get everything processed) so that I can start in September? I guess I'm confused because the infographic and wording is not clear... because I think it's meant for explaining the process for people who are going to continue their fellowship training in California.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 292429

Most of what you posed applies to residents still in training.

In your case, you can go ahead and apply (get all of the time consuming stuff completed like the background check, med school paperwork, test scores), but they won’t issue your license until your 36th month of training is done.

There is a post graduate training verification form that your residency program has to complete. When you finish your 36th month of residency, you can have your program send in the form (literally 7/1). In my case, they issued my license the day after they got that last piece of paperwork.

I'm a DO so I would be applying for the California Osteopathic license but I can still take the ABIM since I've gone to a ACGME residency and have been planning on taking it, correct? I guess I am asking if I am forced to take the osteopathic version of it or I can still get licensed all the same as a DO but with getting board certified in IM through ABIM?

I'm a DO so I would be applying for the California Osteopathic license but I can still take the ABIM since I've gone to a ACGME residency and have been planning on taking it, correct? I guess I am asking if I am forced to take the osteopathic version of it or I can still get licensed all the same as a DO but with getting board certified in IM through ABIM?
The licensing people don't care what boards you take (ABIM vs AOBIM) - just as long as you took the whole COMLEX series (through 3). You can take the ABIM board just fine.

The licensing people don't care what boards you take (ABIM vs AOBIM) - just as long as you took the whole COMLEX series (through 3). You can take the ABIM board just fine.

Hey guys! Question (silly, I know), but if someone could please help answer this :) ...
All of this "36 months" lingo is confusing me... by July 1st I would have completed 3 years of ACGME residency (36 months) but obviously that includes vacation time during the three years, so its not really 36 months straight of non-stop "education" ... right? Do they just mean completion at minimum of 3 years of residency, including vacations? (Which would make it less than 36 months). Hopefully they do know that every resident gets vacation time. I ask because, I'm not sure how many months of "training" to put on the form, 36 or <36 because of the vacations. (Or rather, how my program should fill out that form).

Thanks so much!!

Well, I don't know this for sure since it appears this was a new law that was passed Jan 1st, 2020, but the impression I got when I talked to someone at the medical board was that I wouldn't be eligible for a license until after 36 weeks or for me, graduated residency... so I'm guessing that includes the vacation time. I would just assume it's 36 months. I think they included that for anyone who wants to moonlight on their own but are in a four or five year residency program.

Honestly, this new law is so stupid and I wish they would be clearer.

Hey guys! Question (silly, I know), but if someone could please help answer this :) ...
All of this "36 months" lingo is confusing me... by July 1st I would have completed 3 years of ACGME residency (36 months) but obviously that includes vacation time during the three years, so its not really 36 months straight of non-stop "education" ... right? Do they just mean completion at minimum of 3 years of residency, including vacations? (Which would make it less than 36 months). Hopefully they do know that every resident gets vacation time. I ask because, I'm not sure how many months of "training" to put on the form, 36 or <36 because of the vacations. (Or rather, how my program should fill out that form).

Thanks so much!!
Vacations weren't a problem with the old rules with 12/24 months, they won't be for these either.

Vacations weren't a problem with the old rules with 12/24 months, they won't be for these either.
Thank you! The form also says, had to have completed a minimum of 1 year with at least 4 months of “general medicine,” so I should be okay