California MD Schools with cut-offs!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT08

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know which california med schools have cutt-off scores specially with the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I spent a summer at Stanford Med as part of a program, and the Dean of Admissions told me that Stanford (along with a "group of elite" medical schools, including Ivies) has a minimum cutoff of 27 MCAT and 3.3 GPA (didn't say if it was science or cumulative). In terms of other "formulas", combinations or algorithms used... I have no idea.

Below those numbers... you'll be giving free money to the schools for secondaries while your application is tossed to the side. In terms of the UC's, USC and Loma... no clue.

Best of luck!

ahh my advisor said that the UC's probably have cutt-offs but the private schools (stanford and usc) most like view all applications.
Did you hear this from stanford recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
According to MSAR, all UCs screen pre-secondary.

Sometimes people respond to questions like this with phrases such as:

'Those that say, don't know and those that know, don't say.'

It's hard to know what's true and what's not. Anyone knows you need a LOT higher than a 3.3 and 27 (probably closer 3.6+ and 32+, at minimum) to have even a chance of being interviewed at Stanford and other elite schools.

Thanks!

does it mention what their cut-off scores are?

No. I thought about this too...like calling schools that screen pre-secondary what their cutoffs were but I don't think they'd tell you b/c I'm pretty sure they'd want your $. But has anyone else tried this?