California MSW programs, chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beachgurl9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to get a BA in Psychology from UCSD (comparable to UCLA for undergrad dificulty).

I want to apply to MSW programs at the Cal States for FAll 2011

Problem: I only have a 2.3 GPA

This was due to some serious health problems throughout college. Which are part of my motivation for becoming a Social Worker but I think a 2.3 is just too low to be accepted anywhere?

I read that csu's have minimum GPA requirements but do make some exceptions.

Any thoughts???

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say that if you're GPA is that low, your best bet would be to get very solid references. I think having gone to undergrad in Cali would probably help since grad school in Cali's would have a good idea of the level of your undergrad university.

So, before you finish up your undergrad degree, I would try as hard as possible to get on good terms with at least 2 or maybe 3 professor at your school so you have a good academic reference at hand. Think of a professor who might be fully aware of your ups and downs as well as your potential for the social work field.

Lastly, I feel that with your GPA, you would have to get some work experience/references under your belt. Your goal is going to be to make the low GPA look like a statistic that is inconsistent with the rest of your credentials, as opposed to defining it.

Best of luck with your journey. The people at this forum have been helpful and are extremely knowledgeable, so you should feel free to ask any additional questions.

MSW programs are not terribly hard to get into

with good references and a solid GRE score you will be fine as long as your personal statement reflects that your illnesses were a major cause of your GPA and are the main reasons for your desire to get into social work

don't rely on the fact you went to UCSD to factor into anything. The assumption that UC's are more prestigous than CSUs in california is all but gone. They are two totally different types of schools and many highly qualified students chose the CSU system over the UC system for many different reasons. A BA from UCLA in psych will not be looked at any differently than a BA from a CSU (unless its one of the really small CSUs)

goodluck

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm about to get a BA in Psychology from UCSD (comparable to UCLA for undergrad dificulty).

This was due to some serious health problems throughout college. Which are part of my motivation for becoming a Social Worker but I think a 2.3 is just too low to be accepted anywhere?

Any thoughts???

I think you should go for it but also consider a back up plan. You could take a year off, get A's in a few classes and then reapply. If you have some explanation for your low grades then I think you have a shot. but I also think that admissions committees need to see some sort of potential in your app like high GREs or something. if that's not there, you might need to demonstrate it before applying.

Any thoughts???

I think most Cal States require a minimum of 2.5 GPA for their MSW program and specifically, I know CSULB used to require a 2.5 but I was told during an info session that CSULB have now upped it to 2.75 to match with the university graduate requirement. Specific to CSULB, I was also told that they used to look at just the last 60 semester units or 90 quarter units but will now look at your overall GPA as well.

Some Cal States require GREs and some dont (like CSULB) so you should check to make sure. You can try to raise your GPA up by taking upper division course that are related to social work. You can also study hard and do well on your GREs...as well as gain some social work related experience.

I also graduated from UCSD but from 2008. I took some time off to work and I'm currently managing a non-profit program. The work experience has been helpful for me in terms of gaining some insight into the social work profession and whether or not I want to pursue this.

Maybe you can try to apply for Fall 11 but in the mean time still look at volunteer opportunities or job opportunities related to social work so in the event that you don't get in, the work experience will still be beneficial to you.

every school has GPA exemption forms you can fill out that help out students such as this one

you could look into that