California Northstate- BioChemistry or Cell Molecular Biology REQUIREMENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlantMan

20something-transient
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking at applying to California Northstate Pharmacy school up by Sacramento. They require Biochemistry or Cell and Molecular Biology.

Unfortunately this class is not offered in at Solano Community College nor in the Los Rios CC network i believe.

Anyone with experience with fulfilling this requirement specifically here in Northern California?

The only options I see would be taking it at UCDavis (my undergrad) or Sac State. Any other alternatives? What have you people who applied to Northstate done to fulfill this?

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking at applying to California Northstate Pharmacy school up by Sacramento. They require Biochemistry or Cell and Molecular Biology.

Unfortunately this class is not offered in at Solano Community College nor in the Los Rios CC network i believe.

Anyone with experience with fulfilling this requirement specifically here in Northern California?

The only options I see would be taking it at UCDavis (my undergrad) or Sac State. Any other alternatives? What have you people who applied to Northstate done to fulfill this?

I was going to suggest San Fran State but it looks like that may be too far for you.

If you do decide to take it at SF take biochem 340 with either dr. Baird, Gassner or Martin, but she is the most challenging one. I've had all of them for various biochem classes and Baird is the best.

If you decide to take cell bio, take bio 350 with Light over the summer. I didn't take it with her ( but I have her for a different class ) - but she is really nice and almost everyone gets an A because her tests are very straightforward from her class lectures.

i'll be living in Fairfield, so the commute to SF might be challenging... as I'd most likely take BART.

is BART a viable transportation method to SFState?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'll be living in Fairfield, so the commute to SF might be challenging... as I'd most likely take BART.

is BART a viable transportation method to SFState?

Well you have to options, there is no BART directly to State, you'd have to transfer downtown from Bart to a muni train that goes directly to State, which isn't bad and only takes like a minute- you'd just go up the stairs, exit the bart and enter muni portion of the station. Or you can take bart to Daily city station and then take take 28 bus towards State. On your way back, you would just take the 28 again in the oposite direction or there is another option - from State to Daily city Bart, there is a free shuttle that takes you straight to be bart station in like 5 minutes, and it operates between like 10-7 pm.

Bart is reliable for the most part, but occasionally things happen - like medical emergency or something. In the case of accidents, they usually try to arrange something though - I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you ever need help about State - PM me, I've gone to that school since my freshmen year and I know it in and out.

thanks so much! I really like the positive and pro-active attitude everyone has on these boards... I've been a member of some other hobby-type boards before and man... some people are just rotten.

SF State is definitely a possibility especially if I could take the class during the summer. I actually email Northstate because at Solano CC the 2 courses in Biology are titled "BIO-001 Principles of Organismal Biology and BIO-002 Principles of Cell and Molecular Biology".... I'm hoping that the 2 courses of Biology will fulfill both years of BIO and the additional semester of CMB/BIOChem.

Crossing my fingers and that would help TREMENDOUSLY. Who doesn't love a 3-4-2. =)

just got an email from CA Northstate.

No go on the Biology II class fulfilling both bio and Cell Molecular Biology.

Dangnabbit. :scared:

just got an email from CA Northstate.

No go on the Biology II class fulfilling both bio and Cell Molecular Biology.

Dangnabbit. :scared:

I'm sorry to hear that, but I was pretty sure it wouldn't before you even brought it up. Take biol 350 at State, it's cell biology and it should satisfy the requirement.

One other option: Cal State East Bay (in Hayward) offers both biochem (intro and regular) and cellular/molecular bio (it's the first quarter of the year-long bio sequence).

So, when do they start interviewing? I haven't gotten any confirmation that they received my secondary materials yet. Although I did see that they cashed my check....

I believe that sacramento state also offers biochemistry. It's funny that you mention that because I also have the same problem. They threw that requirement in to get people who are more science related majors instead of people who just took the pre-reqs.