California Northstate Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgDoc95

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a California resident and took a tour of the school. I've been going to school out of state and recently submitted my app to amcas. What are my chances of getting in here with a 3.60 and a 502 MCAT on my first try?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

You are going to get a bunch of responses on here telling you to forget about Northstate and/or that highlight the problems with it

At the bare minimum really look into Northstate and the problematic areas/controversy surrounding it before considering to apply

You are a good DO candidate as is. If you wait a year and hit an MCAT retake to 511+ that makes you a reasonable MD candidate as well. Many would argue both are superior routes than going for CNU

In terms of Northstate your MCAT is low for them. Whether or not that's a total deal breaker I can't say, more importantly you should really think about whether it's a question that's even relevant(i.e. if it's even worth applying to)

Reactions: 2 users
I have no respect for a group of investors that put their own interests ahead of their students.
They should be ashamed of themselves. The LCME is already ashamed. Every representative that has become aware of their denial of basic benefits is appalled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So when is the LCME going to do something about it????

I have no respect for a group of investors that put their own interests ahead of their students.
They should be ashamed of themselves. The LCME is already ashamed. Every representative that has become aware of their denial of basic benefits is appalled.

Their lawyers are still confused.
Let's say CNU is shut down by the LCME. Do you think that the LCME would mandate that the students be placed into other medical schools? Or would those students just be absolutely screwed?

Let's say CNU is shut down by the LCME. Do you think that the LCME would mandate that the students be placed into other medical schools? Or would those students just be absolutely screwed?
LCME can't mandate placement.
Individual schools would need to be receptive.
The last time this happened (SJB), it was a mess.

LCME can't mandate placement.
Individual schools would need to be receptive.
The last time this happened (SJB), it was a mess.
What happened with SJB? I did some searching and found that a lot of students transferred to Loma Linda and Western. That was all, though. Do you have the full story?

What happened with SJB? I did some searching and found that a lot of students transferred to Loma Linda and Western. That was all, though. Do you have the full story?
Seniors who had already submitted their ERAS application were trying (often in vain) to find any school to take them in time to submit a rank order list. It was pitiful.

Reactions: 1 user

Is there a difference between Northstate and RVU? I've heard that RVU gets very good board scores, but aren't they for profit as well?

The controversy concerning RBU was identical to CNU in regards to the for profit status, but this was rapidly dispelled. CNU, on the other hand, advertised a "Faculty" member who was a PhD Anatomy candidate (unheard of for medical schools), and a distinct overpopulation of foreign-born, non-credentialed clinical and basic science faculty, which appeared to me that they had trouble attracting quality Faculty. The loans business went beyond the pale.

Oh gotcha! @Goro is there a difference between northstate and rocky vista? Did RVU cause controversy when it first opened?

Is there a difference between Northstate and RVU? I've heard that RVU gets very good board scores, but aren't they for profit as well?

RVU had the same controversy, but like Goro said it went away pretty quickly. RVU is honestly one of the best DO programs. CNU controversy has only gotten much worse as time has gone on.

An example, RVU gave its students access to federal loans as soon as it was eligible. They also have very solid faculty who have helped place their grads into some solid programs in multiple specialties.

Reactions: 1 users