California Optometry bill vetoed…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i-doctor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank goodness for Gavin Newsom! Just vetoed a very expansive O.D. bill. The bill would have allowed Optometrists to perform lid surgeries—including chalazion removal— and virtually all anterior segment lasers, including PI’s and SLT’s.
The main things excluded would have been LASIK and all surgeries in the O.R. I feel that had this passed, LASIK of course would then become the next target.
Their argument was that few MD’s see Medicaid patients because the insurance pays so little. And something like 40% of California residents are on Medicaid (Medi-Cal). So their pitch to the legislature was that 40% of Californians have no access to proper eye care, so if this bill were passed they promised that OD’s will now help take care of some of the surgical needs of these patients. That pitch and millions of dollars obviously worked there.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The fact that he had to veto such an obvious money grab is kind of ridiculous. I imagine California is one of the most saturated markets in the country, and I have trouble imagining anyone having substantial access to care issues. Just more evidence that our democracy is rotting from the inside out.

Reactions: 2 users