California Osteopathic Licensing question and DEA Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsha03

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a PGY-2 who is applying for licensure. I was wondering if one is suppose to apply for a DEA number as well? Is there an institutional DEA I should be receiving?

Pardon my ignorance, I did my preliminary intern year out of state and am starting at a PGY2 position at a new hospital. How long does licensure usually take to process? Because I would like to start moonlighting ASAP too.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm a PGY-2 who is applying for licensure. I was wondering if one is suppose to apply for a DEA number as well? Is there an institutional DEA I should be receiving?

Pardon my ignorance, I did my preliminary intern year out of state and am starting at a PGY2 position at a new hospital. How long does licensure usually take to process? Because I would like to start moonlighting ASAP too.

Thanks
depends on the state...some are quick say 4-5 weeks (Pa for example), others can take upwards to 6 months...once you have your full license you will have to use your own DEA.

depends on the state...some are quick say 4-5 weeks (Pa for example), others can take upwards to 6 months...once you have your full license you will have to use your own DEA.
sorry, just noticed the cali part...cali can take a few months...its one of the stickier states to get a full license .

thanks. do I have to apply for my own DEA? can I do that now that i have passed comlex 3?

i'm hoping that since California has its own Osteopathic medical board, the process will be quicker.

thanks. do I have to apply for my own DEA? can I do that now that i have passed comlex 3?

i'm hoping that since California has its own Osteopathic medical board, the process will be quicker.
you will need the license 1st, though any state license will work. the DEA takes less than a week though.

And if you're not moonlighting, find out from your program: You may qualify for a fee exempt DEA that only works within your educational institution. I did in both residency and fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok. My license has been approved, but I need to renew it in February of next year? I thought it would be every 2 years?

Ok. My license has been approved, but I need to renew it in February of next year? I thought it would be every 2 years?
Seems odd.

The rules for the CA medical board state that your license expires 2 birth months (i.e. 2 birthdays) after you get it. This can be as long as 24 months if you get your initial license right after your birthday), or as short as 13 months (if you get it right before your birthday). This is very clearly described on the regular medical board website and not anywhere to be found on the osteo med board website other than buried deep in a "regulations" page that seems to say the same thing.

I can't come up with a good reason (other than a tear in the time-space continuum) for your license to only be valid for 6 months.

Probably worth a call to the board.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems odd.

The rules for the CA medical board state that your license expires 2 birth months (i.e. 2 birthdays) after you get it. This can be as long as 24 months if you get your initial license right after your birthday), or as short as 13 months (if you get it right before your birthday). This is very clearly described on the regular medical board website and not anywhere to be found on the osteo med board website other than buried deep in a "regulations" page that seems to say the same thing.

I can't come up with a good reason (other than a tear in the time-space continuum) for your license to only be valid for 6 months.

Yes it is very odd. I will try to get a hold of someone regarding this.

Also, for CME credit purposes while I have my license, would residency CME suffice? I am in an ACGME program.

Or does it have to be AOA/Osteopathic specific CME activity?

Thanks

Yes it is very odd. I will try to get a hold of someone regarding this.

Also, for CME credit purposes while I have my license, would residency CME suffice? I am in an ACGME program.

Or does it have to be AOA/Osteopathic specific CME activity?

Thanks
If you can get somebody on the phone, ask them those questions too.

Anyone have any idea about how long it takes to get a CA osteopathic license from the time you submit the application? I have a job offer and they want me to start 4-6 months, and I just submitted the application. The offer is of course contingent upon me having the license by that time.

Seems odd.

He's a DO. They are different: If you have an even birth month it expires even years, and vice versa for odd birth months. If you were born in January and got a license today, it could expire in 2 months.

Doesn't matter, unlike the MD board they pro-rate licenses based on how long its going to last.

Reactions: 1 users
So applied back in Nov (they cashed my check in mid-Nov), still haven't heard a word from them, no response to phone calls or emails about the status of my application or missing documents. Any recent experiences with timelines? I even flew down there for live fingerprinting to expedite the process. I have a job in CA and they want to know if I'll be able to start Aug 1st.

I don't have any encouraging news. I applied three months before you and am still waiting. Two months ago, they were more responsive in telling me what needed to be resent etc. My job starts around the same time as yours and I may have to move it back if the delay continues. I thought I was being generous in applying for my license that early.

That's strange because I know people in the past year who've gotten it in 1-3 months time. They told me mine was "in review" but wouldn't tell me if I was missing something. What type of stuff did they want? Legit or did it seem like delay tactics?

So how long did it take most people on here to get their Cali Osteo license - once everything is in, with a livescan ?