California programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asdf77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i'm new to the forum, and i've really enjoyed reading all the information on here. I was wondering if people here could give me some opinions on some of the different california programs, particularly UC-Davis. I'm a MS3 from a Midwestern State School with a good reputation. I've got average grades (right in the middle of my class), and a Step I of 218.

What programs for G-Surg in California should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just at UC-Davis. They like people with ties to northern California and don't interview below 210, with 220 putting you in good/fine/acceptable position to get in.

You might check out UCSF-EB- they are a good program but less competitive for entrance becuase of location in Oakland, academic affiliation rather than institution and the lesser known component of the SF program.

Otherwise, in southern california there are at least 9 programs and where you look depends on if you want community or academic, surburban or hollywood populations. Community-based programs with a community/provate practice goal tend to be less competive, or draw fewer of the high hitting applicants.

Best advice for you- improve your application in the only way you can- get glowing letters (work hard, appear interested and respectful, be nice) from big name people, especially people who trained with the program director or chair at the school you are applying to. You can choose which letters go where, so if you need to get 7 surgery letters and you can, then do it. BTW, non-surgeon letters, no matter how powerful, basically mean nothing in my experience. So get to know your friendly neighborhood surgeons!

Good luck!

myself and one of our junior residents provided our 2 cents regarding our training program (mentioned above)- see the thread called "how our interviews work (PGY3)". can only speak for my own program, though interviewed at a few others, it was a while ago and probably wouldn't help you.