California programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpb80

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on USC (LA County) vs. Loma Linda vs. UCSF?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, gonna have to cancel 1 or 2 of these interviews. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I think all 3 are great programs and all are very different. Decide what is most important to you. Some things to consider:

UCSF: 4 years, academic, new program, would you be able to afford SF

Loma Linda: 3 years, clinical, more affordable location

USC: PGY2-4 (so you need to interview for transitional), county program, not so strong academics, do you want to live in LA

I feel like comparing these programs is like apples and kimchee, just totally different things, and it's a personal opinion and fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF: 4 years, academic, new program, would you be able to afford SF

Loma Linda: 3 years, clinical, more affordable location

USC: PGY2-4 (so you need to interview for transitional), county program, not so strong academics, do you want to live in LA
In fairness, if you're going to toss out "do you want to live in LA for USC, it's only fair to ask "do you want to live in San Bernadino" for Loma Linda.

Most people either love or hate LA, but few people would really love living in San Bernadino.

Can a single guy afford to live in San Francisco on a resident's salary? I looked on craigslist and it seems you could find places for around $1600-1800 a month. With the housing stipend, that seems like it would be doable.

Can a single guy afford to live in San Francisco on a resident's salary? I looked on craigslist and it seems you could find places for around $1600-1800 a month.
You can find places for a lot cheaper than that. It depends on where you want to live.

You won't have too much of a problem finding a 1BR place for $1,600 in the area right around UCSF, within walking distance. If you don't mind sitting on the N-Judah (light rail) for 10 minutes, you can shave hundreds off that.

If you're open to neighborhoods around SF General, you will pay a lot less than that.

Living on a resident's salary in SF is do-able. It depends on the quality of life you are used to. If you were given a nice wad in undergrad and had parental support in med school, residency salary might be a wakeup call in San Fran, but you won't starve.

Can anyone comment on any of these programs? I'm from out of state and while researching the programs couldn't find a lot of differentiating factors that would sway me one way or the other. Any comments would help, especially concerning competitiveness and affordability.

1. Alameda County Medical Center

2. Arrowhead Regional Medical Center

3. Kern Medical Center

4. Los Angeles County-Harbor-UCLA Medical Center

5. Naval Medical Center San Diego

6. Stanford University Hospital/Kaiser Permanente Medical Center

7. UCLA Medical Center - David Geffen School of Medicine

8. University of California (Davis) Health System

9. University of California (Irvine)

10. University of California (San Diego)

11. University of California (San Francisco)/Fresno

12. University of California (San Francisco)/San Francisco General Hospital

13. University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical Center

Nope, just throwing out all the programs in CA that I could find to get some discussion going.

Can anyone comment on any of these programs? I'm from out of state and while researching the programs couldn't find a lot of differentiating factors that would sway me one way or the other. Any comments would help, especially concerning competitiveness and affordability.

1. Alameda County Medical Center

2. Arrowhead Regional Medical Center

3. Kern Medical Center

4. Los Angeles County-Harbor-UCLA Medical Center

5. Naval Medical Center San Diego

6. Stanford University Hospital/Kaiser Permanente Medical Center

7. UCLA Medical Center - David Geffen School of Medicine

8. University of California (Davis) Health System

9. University of California (Irvine)

10. University of California (San Diego)

11. University of California (San Francisco)/Fresno

12. University of California (San Francisco)/San Francisco General Hospital

13. University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical Center

Anyone know what kind of stats are expected to get interviews and match at these cali programs? Do they tend to interview applicants with ties to the area?

Basics on california:

Go to the sticky, there are lots of reviews on almost all the california programs. They all have very unique personalities. You might also want to research the locations. Southern cal is very different from northern california. Urban vs smaller towns are also very different.

In general, if you aren't from california and have no ties, it is more competitive. there are no absolute numbers, but the better your scores (class standing, usmle, honors) and the more you have done (CV wise: research, leadership positions, education, etc), the better your chances.

i'm not from california and only have 1 cousin out there in encino. i did very well in med school and on the boards, did well at my rotation at ucsf-moffit long, and got every interview i applied for there. you need a better than average application, so if you're an MS3 who wants to get out there, start working your @$$ off. like everything else, just work as hard as you can. even if you want to be on the east coast, having a stellar application will only open more doors.