California programs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMRocksmyworld

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied broadly to the California programs, thinking I would not get very many invites since I'm not a local. I have been extremely lucky to get invited to interview at several of the programs, but now I'm not sure what to do.

I have extensively read over all of the programs' websites and read the EMRA & SAEM info for each program, but I feel like I'm having a hard time getting a sense of the programs and am not sure how I am going to decide which interviews to go on. Can anyone with California experience give me some more insight into the programs? A lot of the residency reviews on SDN seem somewhat outdated, so I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in CA? Even if you're not I would suggest trying to interview at every program that invited you. CA is a tough market and if one of your main goals is to be in CA don't scrimp on your interviews and regret it later. And if you're looking for info about the programs there is no substitute for going and seeing them and talking to the residents.

Thanks for the response..no, I am not a Californian- I am in the east.

I am definitely not set on living in California- I just know there are so many awesome programs out there that I figured I would give it a shot and apply to them, not expecting to get many (if any) interviews since, as you said, it's a tough market.

Now that I have been fortunate enough to get invites, I am trying to decide which ones to go on since a) I can't afford time or money-wise to spend like 2 weeks interviewing on the West Coast and b) I don't want to hold up a bunch of interview spots from people who really have some strong personal connection to California and can't see themselves anywhere else.

I'd like to check out a few of the programs, I just don't know which ones.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Start with location. Where do you want to live? don't underestimate this component. If you only want a big city (SF/LA) then drop the ones in smaller cities.

Then look at the 3 vs 4 year.
Then you can look at northern vs southern cali (very different cultures/lifestyles).

Agree with Roja.

Since you have to travel I suggest trying to set up two trips. One to the LA area and one to the SF area. Batch your interviews around those trips. Outliers can hopefully be grouped with those.