California residency Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Anyone have any information about univ of calif SanDiego's program for neurology? Is it malignant? Does it have good clinical teaching? etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone must know something about UCSD's neuro program. I am contemplating leaving my residency for this program and I have absolutely no information. can anyone help me?

When I interviewed at UCSD, it seemed that the residents all worked very hard. Since there are a total of nine residents and they cover three hospitals, the call schedule is basically Q3 the whole year for PGY-2. However, during dinner, the residents all seemed to like each other and had a great time. As for clinical teaching, the residents all feel well trained in neurology. They gave high marks for the program director Dr. Kritchevsky who is an excellent teacher.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, taking Dr. Kritchevsky's Basic Neuro class now and he is an excellent teacher; he cares a lot of students' progress in the class. Not sure about clinical training; guess I'll find out when I get to my third yr. Good luck!

Q3 call sounds brutal. Did you get the impression that it was a malignant program? or that the residents didn't want to be there?

also, with Q3 call how are they able to work 80 hours or less per ACGME guidelines?

I think it's a self-selective process so the residents knew what they were getting into for three years. As for eighty-hour work week, some of the Q3 calls are home calls and they get to go home by noon the next day.

IN your opinion, what program in california really surprized you as being a great clinical teaching program that wasn't very brutal? Also, you mentioned that you interviewed at UCSD what stopped you from wanting to go to this program?
I am in a tough situation. I am currently at stanford doing a residency in another field. I have realized(during this year) that I really want to do neurology. UCSD has a position open but I am afraid that I could be walking into a bomb zone. I really don't know what to expect and I feel like the program is telling me what I want to hear vs the truth.
Any suggestions?

Hey UCLA-Neuron,

hey, i'm finishing up my third year right now and am really considering the neurology program at UCLA. can you tell me a little bit about your impressions there? are you happy as a resident? how competitive of a program is it for a farm boy from central IL? ;-)

thanks,
vish~

I don't know how helpful I can be in regard to UCSD since I was only there for a couple of days. Maybe you can contact one of the current residents and see how they feel about the program. I did not rank UCSD as high on my list because it was too small of a program for me and I had a couple of interviews where I did not like the interaction between me and the interviewers. As for other CA programs, I ranked UCLA, Stanford and UCDavis. I think you will get great clinical training at all three places. UC Davis is less academic in the sense that most residents go into private practice.

UCLA was the first choice for me for the following reasons:
1. We have eight residents every year so we don't have in-house calls after PGY-2 and if somebody is sick or need some time off, we won't get too overwhelmed.
2. We cover a diverse range of clinical settings and you will see different things at different places: a university hospital, two VA's, and a county hospital (Olive View)
3. We have excellent faculty members in almost all the areas of neurology and there is organized and protected didactic teaching every week.
4. California weather and having family and friends in CA
5. We will have a brand new UCLA hospital building with dedicated CT scan in neurology suite
6. I just loved my interview day and had a great vibe.

Harbor has a much smaller program with two to three residents a year and only four full-time faculty. You spend most of your training at a county hospital. You don't work too hard however because you have medicine interns on your team. Also I think your prelim year is almost guaranteed at Harbor.

The impression I got when I interviewed at Harbor is that most residents enter private practice. I think it might be more difficult to be exposed to academic neurology since there are only four full-time faculty. However, you can have elective times at UCLA.

UCLA-Neuron said:
The impression I got when I interviewed at Harbor is that most residents enter private practice. I think it might be more difficult to be exposed to academic neurology since there are only four full-time faculty. However, you can have elective times at UCLA.

Hi,
I know this is and old post but I was wondering if anyone had info on UCLA Harbor for this year? There Neurology web site seems to be a little outdated, and the Frieda site lists them as they will not accept applications for the 2007 year? Thanks in advance,