California Schools worth applying to as out of state...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILOVEKIMCHEE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I woud like to get out of the midwest... it's too cold here in the winters:/

Ideally, I would like to goto medical school in california, but i know that acceptance rates for out of state is extremely low. And even if I were to get an interview, flight costs are super expensive (coming from michigan).

Could anybody give me helpful advice on what schools are actually worth applying to in California and going for interviews? (UCSF, UCLA-GEF, UCLA-DREW, UCSD, Stanford, UC-irvine are some of the schools i'm looking at)

Might as well post my stats: 35O, 3.8 overall GPA, 3.8 science GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

How about USC? Private so they don't prefer IS.

Also I don't know about the others but UCSF told us that once you get an interview you're on equal footing with the in staters. So I don't think you have to worry so much about the flight issue.

Well, UCLA-DGSOM is worth a shot...I got in OOS (pleasantly surprised), with stats similar to you. It can never hurt to try :)

That being said, I think that my secondaries were much more important, to be honest, for getting the interview and the acceptance than anything else, once my stats were high enough to be screened into the secondary batch.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've lived in San Diego for 6 years now and trust me, California is not all it's cracked up to be. There are plenty of nice places where the weather is better than the midwest, so unless you plan on surfing, don't limit yourself to CA.

I've lived in San Diego for 6 years now and trust me, California is not all it's cracked up to be. There are plenty of nice places where the weather is better than the midwest, so unless you plan on surfing, don't limit yourself to CA.

I question Cody's credibility!:laugh: There is a girl in my incoming UCSD 2015 class from UW Madison so...

Your stats are decent, but still below average competitiveness for most of the schools you mentioned aside from Irvine (which overwhelming favors in-state applicants). With your OOS status, its going to be a long shot unless you are URM or have some really outstanding extra curriculars. I would say you might have a good shot at USC.

I question Cody's credibility!:laugh: There is a girl in my incoming UCSD 2015 class from UW Madison so...

Maybe if I was living the good life in La Jolla I would feel differently, but I'm exiled in El Cajon. :(

Your stats are decent, but still below average competitiveness for most of the schools you mentioned aside from Irvine (which overwhelming favors in-state applicants). With your OOS status, its going to be a long shot unless you are URM or have some really outstanding extra curriculars. I would say you might have a good shot at USC.

Um, no? Hes got great stats and a really good shot. The OOS is the issue, in which case apply private, win, profit.

Um, no? Hes got great stats and a really good shot. The OOS is the issue, in which case apply private, win, profit.

Um yea, obviously his OOS status is the issue. I'm not arguing against that. Its that his stats, however good, simply isn't high enough to make him a "really good shot" like you say. Just telling it like it is.

UCLA-Geffen nominally doesn't take into account California residency. I would be surprised though if they didn't take into account whether the applicant had any ties to the region.

These are the AAMC California schools ranked by percent of matriculating class from out-of state: Stanford, USC, UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, UCI. Stanford is >50%, USC and UCSF are between 20% and 30%, UCLA and USD are ~10%, and USD and UCI are 2% and 1% respectively.

These are the AAMC California schools ranked by percent of matriculating class from out-of state: Stanford, Loma Linda, USC, UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, UCI. Stanford is >50%, Loma Linda is between 40% and 50%, USC and UCSF are between 20% and 30%, UCLA and UCSD are ~10%, and UCD and UCI are 2% and 1% respectively.
Nice list:thumbup:
I fixed some typos and added the school that you forgot about

Since it's been added to the list, I just thought I'd throw in a little fyi/advice: don't blindly apply to Loma Linda without doing a few minutes of research on the school just because it's in CA.

It's a christian school that has a mission to train christian doctors and there if a lifestyle agreement you have to sign to attend. It's not your standard med school. I've seen a lot of people waste money on sending their primary only to realize that it's not what they are looking for at all when the secondary arrives.

If that's what you're looking for, then great! If not, save some money!

I have the same GPA stats as the OP and am taking the MCAT on the 16th (and have been scoring mid to high 30s on official practice tests). I was wondering the exact same question, specifically Stanford or UCSF.

Lately I was considering just dropping the CA schools from my list, but now I'm reconsidering.

Since it's been added to the list, I just thought I'd throw in a little fyi/advice: don't blindly apply to Loma Linda without doing a few minutes of research on the school just because it's in CA.

It's a christian school that has a mission to train christian doctors and there if a lifestyle agreement you have to sign to attend. It's not your standard med school. I've seen a lot of people waste money on sending their primary only to realize that it's not what they are looking for at all when the secondary arrives.

If that's what you're looking for, then great! If not, save some money!
Very, very true. Long Way to Go said he was posting the list of AAMC California medical schools, and Loma Linda is in CA. But it's good to warn people about the lifestyle commitment and values of Loma Linda.

Very, very true. Long Way to Go said he was posting the list of AAMC California medical schools, and Loma Linda is in CA. But it's good to warn people about the lifestyle commitment and values of Loma Linda.

Ah yes. I was working off my personal spreadsheet, and apparently I had hidden some of the schools I would definitely not want to go to (Loma Linda) or had absolutely no chance of getting into (UCSD). Thanks!

Yeah, F Loma Linda's values! But seriously, you don't want to have to sign a commitment thingy like that Brandon Davies kid at BYU did.

To the OP: If your ECs and app are also solid, I think you have a fair shot. Just pick schools on the more OOS-friendly side of the spectrum and hope for the best. I know the app and flight costs are hard to take, but the reality is you have to pay to play. And for me, it would be worth it to spend the money vs. wondering if I would have gotten in if I tried.

Thank you everyone for your insight! I'm going to apply to Stanford, UCSF, and UCSD...and maybe UCLA (still on the borderline for this school). I figured, if i'm going to apply to schools in California, i should pick schools that i would FOR SURE go to over all the other schools i'm applying to... My primary application fee is going to be over $1000... :/ FML!!!!

hey any chance you could update us with what happened? did you get in? I def want to apply to cali med schools next cycle and i just wanted to gauge my chancess