Worth Filling Out The CSS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HollowJ@1

Reaction score
Hi all, I wanted to get some input from those who have been in my shoes. I am wondering if it is worth filling out the CSS profile. I ask this for a couple of reasons. For one, my combined savings and investments (diversified portfolio) are about 300K and I do not have any debt. The issue comes along with my parental information input. My parents are divorced and my relationship with my father is not great. My mom is technically the primary contributor, though I have not received any financial support from either of them for 4 years. Given this information, I am wondering if it is worth going through all of the trouble to fill out the CSS? Do you think I will get any need-based aid? Is it just best to call financial aid and see if they can give me a quick answer? Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Each financial aid office will probably give you a different answer, but the long and short of it is that you may get no aid by filling out the CSS Profile, but you will absolutely get no aid if you don't fill it out. Most medical schools only give out loans for need-based aid, but that is extremely helpful if you're not prepared to shell out the cost of medical school and cost of living each year out of pocket.

Even if your parents are divorced, most schools will want both parental information for the CSS Profile. There is a non-custodial parent waiver on the CSS website, but you are at the mercy of each school whether or not they will accept that. (A lot of schools don't care and they want to see information for both parents).

I suggest that you consider what you would be able to pay for medical school each year and if it is worth it for you to get loans or just pay the total cost yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Each financial aid office will probably give you a different answer, but the long and short of it is that you may get no aid by filling out the CSS Profile, but you will absolutely get no aid if you don't fill it out. Most medical schools only give out loans for need-based aid, but that is extremely helpful if you're not prepared to shell out the cost of medical school and cost of living each year out of pocket.

Even if your parents are divorced, most schools will want both parental information for the CSS Profile. There is a non-custodial parent waiver on the CSS website, but you are at the mercy of each school whether or not they will accept that. (A lot of schools don't care and they want to see information for both parents).

I suggest that you consider what you would be able to pay for medical school each year and if it is worth it for you to get loans or just pay the total cost yourself.
Thanks for your input. My main concern is that it will be hard to work with my father to fill out this info. Looks like I have some thinking to do.