California Step 3 question: when do you HAVE to take it by?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredocz95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a current medical student right now and was wondering does California have a rule that you have to take USLME Step 3 by the end of your intern year (im sure it could differ per hospital but is there an overall consensus)? I saw that UCSF has a rule about it and my uncles have also told me that too (and they did their residency in cali a long time ago.....like 20-30 years ago). if you can post any websites linking it, please do! I'm trying to explore my options right now

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I am a current medical student right now and was wondering does California have a rule that you have to take USLME Step 3 by the end of your intern year (im sure it could differ per hospital but is there an overall consensus)? I saw that UCSF has a rule about it and my uncles have also told me that too (and they did their residency in cali a long time ago.....like 20-30 years ago). if you can post any websites linking it, please do! I'm trying to explore my options right now

Thanks for your help!
These policies are program dependent and states have nothing to do with them. Some programs want you to take it prior to being promoted to PGY2 while others want you to pass it prior starting PGY3... States do NOT set a time for you to take step3 except that a few states want all the steps taken within 7 years from each other, and some states set a # of times you can take a particular step in order to be eligible for licensure. For instance, some states will not license you if you take step1/2/or3 more than 3 times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You don't need to worry about Step 3 since you're still a student. As splenda88 mentioned, it is program-specific regarding when you need to pass Step 3. Generally the earlier the better as Step 3 tests both Step 1 and 2 CK knowledge, moreso the latter as it has more clinical knowledge, and your didactic memory will decline the longer you wait it out.
For instance, my program requires we pass the exam by mid PGY2 year (I'm a PGY1 in IM). I took my exam mid-year and I'm glad I got it over with so that I can focus on intern year. Unfortunately my other colleagues have theirs delayed due to the COVID-19 situation.

Reactions: 1 user
These policies are program dependent and states have nothing to do with them. Some programs want you to take it prior to being promoted to PGY2 while others want you to pass it prior starting PGY3... States do NOT set a time for you to take step3 except that a few states want all the steps taken within 7 years from each other, and some states set a # of times you can take a particular step in order to be eligible for licensure. For instance, some states will not license you if you take step1/2/or3 more than 3 times.
You don't need to worry about Step 3 since you're still a student. As splenda88 mentioned, it is program-specific regarding when you need to pass Step 3. Generally the earlier the better as Step 3 tests both Step 1 and 2 CK knowledge, moreso the latter as it has more clinical knowledge, and your didactic memory will decline the longer you wait it out.
For instance, my program requires we pass the exam by mid PGY2 year (I'm a PGY1 in IM). I took my exam mid-year and I'm glad I got it over with so that I can focus on intern year. Unfortunately my other colleagues have theirs delayed due to the COVID-19 situation.
Thank you to you both for the informative reply! I'll take these into consideration and how was step 3 for you both? is it hard to study for it during intern year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you to you both for the informative reply! I'll take these into consideration and how was step 3 for you both? is it hard to study for it during intern year?
I took it 4 months into PGY2 (IM)... I would recommend people to take it earlier--even before starting residency if time permits. You barely have time, and most importantly energy to study during residency.

Step 3 was not too bad for me and I scored above average (average being 226). The average is lower than other Steps because in general people don't really care about it unless you're applying to fellowship (then scoring at least average would be good). It can be difficult to study for it during intern year because you are busy learning real medicine. Best to study and take it during an easy elective.

I agree with taking the exam early but know that you cannot register for this exam until you GRADUATE medical school. It's your choice whether to take it before starting residency, though I do think having more clinical experience would benefit you as you see it first hand. Maybe figure out your residency schedule first before you decide when to take the exam.

Being in IM does help for Step because it's the foundation. Would just have to review pediatrics and ob/gyn.

I took it 4 months into PGY2 (IM)... I would recommend people to take it earlier--even before starting residency if time permits. You barely have time, and most importantly energy to study during residency.
oo okay thank you for the tip! I'll take think about it when the times comes. I was just curious because of what my uncles told me when they did residency in cali back awhile ago.

Step 3 was not too bad for me and I scored above average (average being 226). The average is lower than other Steps because in general people don't really care about it unless you're applying to fellowship (then scoring at least average would be good). It can be difficult to study for it during intern year because you are busy learning real medicine. Best to study and take it during an easy elective.

I agree with taking the exam early but know that you cannot register for this exam until you GRADUATE medical school. It's your choice whether to take it before starting residency, though I do think having more clinical experience would benefit you as you see it first hand. Maybe figure out your residency schedule first before you decide when to take the exam.

Being in IM does help for Step because it's the foundation. Would just have to review pediatrics and ob/gyn.

oo okay, ill probably just take your advice and have more clinical experience. I'm sure I can ask for tips from former interns to see how they studied for it. I"ll probably figure out everything first but yeah! Thanks for your help and tips!