california

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

outforblood

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the California surgical residency programs as hard to get as people say? Can anyone enlighten us with some knowledgable information on the topic. I would like to do surgery in california, but if that's impossible, I'll look elsewhere. what are some of the middle-tier programs out there?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For the most part the popular notion is that Cali surgery programs are tougher to match into than most other states. However, it is far from "impossible" as you allude to. With a solid overall application you will likely get interviews in Cali and a foot in the door. Of course places like UCSF and UCLA will be very competitive as they are considered among the top programs in the nation, whereas the community based ones will be slightly less so. However, Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital is considered a community program, but is reputed as being a *very* competetive program to get into.

Middle-tier programs in CA include:

UC Irvine
UC Davis
San Joaquin General Hospital
Drew
Kern Medical Center

I was under the impression that Arrogant was a medical student. You suddenly seem very informed --

Why are all PGY5 surgical residents made Chief Resident?
What is the most intense type of surgery?
Who are the current "go to guys" in surgery?
Does the hospital cover the insurance for an academic surgeon?

weren't these your questions??

outforblood, I cannot answer your question, and am willing to admit that. I'd check w/ womansurg,et al, for a legitimate answer to your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
As per California, someone close to me actually got a UCLA Oto spot. He didn't have much in the way of research or connections, etc... So, I do NOT know why Cali is regarded as an untouchable mecca. This is clearly just anectdotal. I will be honest in that I never even considered Cali. I too am interested in the comments from others with experience in the Cali system.
Originally posted by doc05
I was under the impression that Arrogant was a medical student. You suddenly seem very informed --
Oops, not going to go there...again :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Outside, UCSF (& to a lesser degree Stanford) I understand that there is a pretty steep drop off with how competative the general surgery programs are in California. The more prestigious programs nationwide are heavily concentrated east of the Mississippi for historical reasons

Originally posted by droliver
Outside, UCSF (& to a lesser degree Stanford) I understand that there is a pretty steep drop off with how competative the general surgery programs are in California. The more prestigious programs nationwide are heavily concentrated east of the Mississippi for historical reasons

True...however UCLA and UCSD are also considered top programs in the nation.

Top-tier G-surg programs in California (as well as in the nation) includes the following:

UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
Stanford

Graduates from these 4 programs consistently obtain some of the best surgical fellowships in the country.