Top California General Surgery programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomahto

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm from California but go to med school on the east coast. I'm hoping to come home for residency and am a pretty competitive applicant, but don't know much about these programs beyond their websites and heresay from people at least three times removed (e.g. "I've heard people say it used to be malignant but don't have any specifics or sources for that information...").

Anyone with firsthand experience (interviews, subIs, went to the program) or heresay that's only once removed care to share their perspective?

UCLA
USC
UCSF
UCSF-East Bay
Stanford
UCSD

Main concerns in order are 1) residents are generally happy and like the program, 2) good operative experience with early/appropriate autonomy, 3) good camaraderie between residents / supportive culture with attendings

Members don't see this ad.

How competitive are you? You've listed a few very very academic places.

Reactions: 1 user
Great choice of avatar. I'd interview you just based on that. Pug lovers unite.

In other news, I clearly have been totally brainwashed by my wife.

Reactions: 1 users
How competitive are you? You've listed a few very very academic places.

Competitive... My med school is same caliber, and I have the scores/grades/letters of rec to get interviewed. I’m aiming for academic programs, though like to think I’m open minded