Californians applying to the UCs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jbrice1639 said:
glad i could help then. :rolleyes:

jbrice, you got owned! heh

It's true that 1 in 8 people in the US live in California, and certainly 1 in 8 med schools are not in California. Also keep in mind that 4 of the 8 med schools in California are top 15 med schools. =P

Members don't see this ad.

Those who got waitlisted/rejected for UC interviews, are you guys getting interviews/acceptances from other top med schools though? I am also a Cali resident applying June 2006. Reading all these posts makes me all scared. :scared:

speedyIs said:
Those who got waitlisted/rejected for UC interviews, are you guys getting interviews/acceptances from other top med schools though? I am also a Cali resident applying June 2006. Reading all these posts makes me all scared. :scared:

I was interviewed by Northwestern, Columbia, NYU, Washington University, and University of Michigan (I was accepted there very early, actually), to name a few. Yet UCD was the only UC to interview me; every other UC rejected me post-secondary. So yes, there's hope, even if the UCs show you no love. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
im from orange county, CA.

17 interview invites, 1 of which was from cali. (UCD)
im still waiting :confused:

112 said:
im from orange county, CA.

17 interview invites, 1 of which was from cali. (UCD)
im still waiting :confused:

:wow: Wow, 17 invites. Did you go to all of them?

tacrum43 said:
:wow: Wow, 17 invites. Did you go to all of them?

No kidding. I still can't figure out how you guys are affording to apply to like 15, 20 schools, much less go to 10+ interviews.

Not only does it seem like CA has most applicants, it has the most # of WHINEY applicants also... :D

A lot of people posting in here seem to trust their #s (MCAT + GPA) a bit TOO much. Did you guys do anything special to DISTINGUISH yourself among pack of applicants? What about stellar recommendation letters? Maybe you actually bombed interviews but just THINK you did well? :rolleyes:

I understand how anxious/nervous you guys might feel but give CA med schools a break.

evade said:
I am a California resident. I applied to twenty-four schools (including all the UCs), got fourteen interviews, seven acceptances, and six waitlist offers (that I ended up refusing before they came to accept or reject me). Only one of those fourteen interviews was a UC (it should be obvious given my sig which one that was). I attributed it to the fact that, while I was a strong applicant, I lacked any and all research experience. I'm very focused on clinical medicine, so it makes sense that the UC that is most focused on clinical medicine as well chose me in return.

Oh yeah, and the fact that the UCs get thousands and thousands of applications for their five relatively small classes might've had something to do with it as well.

Evade - damn! you should be proud of how well you did! I had a question for you though since Davis is the only one I've heard from really. I am also a Cali native (socal) and Davis is the only UC that even sent me a secondary! However, I completed my secondary in October and they sent me an e-mail confirming that they had all of my stuff. I took the MCAT in April but re-took in August and stated so on my AMCAS so schools would wait for those scores. I am positive that Davis got my August scores. Since my secondary, I haven't heard anything from them. My bf keeps bugging me to call or something but I don't want to piss them off just to ask for my status since those poor admissions office people probably get it every day. When did you hear from them as far as your interview? Thanks for your post!

of the 17, I've been to 9...rejected 2 invites and not sure yet about the other 6, I'd rather not go but I have only 1 acceptance and I'm not sure if I want that school over the others...

DolfinGrl11 said:
Evade - damn! you should be proud of how well you did! I had a question for you though since Davis is the only one I've heard from really. I am also a Cali native (socal) and Davis is the only UC that even sent me a secondary! However, I completed my secondary in October and they sent me an e-mail confirming that they had all of my stuff. I took the MCAT in April but re-took in August and stated so on my AMCAS so schools would wait for those scores. I am positive that Davis got my August scores. Since my secondary, I haven't heard anything from them. My bf keeps bugging me to call or something but I don't want to piss them off just to ask for my status since those poor admissions office people probably get it every day. When did you hear from them as far as your interview? Thanks for your post!

There's no harm in calling for an occasional status check. Everyone in the UCD admissions office is really nice, and I'm sure they won't begrudge you for checking up once. Now, I wouldn't go calling every few days or anything, but calling every couple months or so is eminently reasonable, especially if it's somewhere you really, really, really want to go. I had my interview in October (I filled a cancellation since I was living in town and could come on short notice), but I know that a LOT of my class didn't interview until March or April. So go ahead and give 'em a call if it will help you rest easier. :)

shinenjk said:
Not only does it seem like CA has most applicants, it has the most # of WHINEY applicants also... :D

A lot of people posting in here seem to trust their #s (MCAT + GPA) a bit TOO much. Did you guys do anything special to DISTINGUISH yourself among pack of applicants? What about stellar recommendation letters? Maybe you actually bombed interviews but just THINK you did well? :rolleyes:

I understand how anxious/nervous you guys might feel but give CA med schools a break.

Yes, those poor CA medical schools. Nobody loves them. :rolleyes:

Hey, does anybody else think that maybe with so many applications, the admissions staff personalities come into it a little bit? I mean, try to read through 30,000 applications and tell me the difference between each one, let alone which are the best 120.

Also, people need to chill out and not give the poster such a hard time...everyone's just assuming that someone with such good numbers must be an dingus or chew with his mouth open or something. I mean, how could anybody do better than ME if they aren't seriously deficient in some other way, right?