Californians applying to the UCs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Punisher

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is going on with the UCs? I have really good GPA and MCAT with a strong application... but I have been waitlisted for interviews at UCI, UCSF and UCSD (which I currently attend for undergrad). I am waiting to hear from UCLA but they don't look promising right now. I thought UCs are supposed to hook-up their in-state applicants. Anyone else thinking the same thing? Or is everyone else getting hooked-up?

BTW, I am an April MCATer.

Members don't see this ad.

I am with you. Though I have gotten interviews at UCD and UCSD, they both waitlisted me. UCI put me put me on interview hold, UCSF rejected me and I have not heard anything from UCLA. Not cool.

iv been rejected from Irvine, davis and SF.
so I am major pissed with the UCs right now....have NO hope from SD nor UCLA.

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Punisher said:
What is going on with the UCs? I have really good GPA and MCAT with a strong application... but I have been waitlisted for interviews at UCI, UCSF and UCSD (which I currently attend for undergrad). I am waiting to hear from UCLA but they don't look promising right now. I thought UCs are supposed to hook-up their in-state applicants. Anyone else thinking the same thing? Or is everyone else getting hooked-up?

BTW, I am an April MCATer.
Wow...are you serious?

The public schools in California are probably the most difficult to get into. Being a Californian may get you some points when they review your file, but with all the out-of-staters who want to get in, and the high volume of California residents who are applying, in-staters do not really have an advantage compared to other state's residents for their public schools (i.e. Texas). Being from UCSD, I'm surprised you didn't know that. Have you been living under a rock?

yellowpersuazio said:
Wow...are you serious?

The public schools in California are probably the most difficult to get into. Being a Californian may get you some points when they review your file, but with all the out-of-staters who want to get in, and the high volume of California residents who are applying, in-staters do not really have an advantage compared to other state's residents for their public schools (i.e. Texas). Being from UCSD, I'm surprised you didn't know that. Have you been living under a rock?

i wish there were more UC med schools

yellowpersuazio said:
Have you been living under a rock?

Ummm, no... UC med schools have about 80% of their class from in-state applicants, so that sounds like a pretty damn good advantage to me.

Punisher said:
I thought UCs are supposed to hook-up their in-state applicants. Anyone else thinking the same thing?

Pretty naive. Being a California resident just means that you aren't automatically disqualified (UCSF accepts a small fraction of out-of-staters, UCLA takes a couple, UCSD takes one infrequently, and UCI and UCD rarely take even one). Now compare this handful to the minions that are dispersed annually from California colleges to med schools across the country. There's no way in hell that the UCs can even interview all of the strong applicants from California.

Also, there is one other explanation to why you aren't getting interviews but it isn't very nice to point out -- maybe you aren't as strong of an applicant as you think.....

Telemachus said:
Pretty naive. Being a California resident just means that you aren't automatically disqualified (UCSF accepts a small fraction of out-of-staters, UCLA takes a couple, UCSD takes one infrequently, and UCI and UCD rarely take even one). Now compare this handful to the minions that are dispersed annually from California colleges to med schools across the country. There's no way in hell that the UCs can even interview all of the strong applicants from California.

Also, there is one other explanation to why you aren't getting interviews but it isn't very nice to point out -- maybe you aren't as strong of an applicant as you think.....

Naive?! I am just saying that a large portion of the med students are from CA, thus many CA applicants must get interviews for those spots. I'm not saying interviews/acceptances are guaranteed or anything. Man, u guys are coming down hard on me for asking this question. BTW, I have a 3.9 GPA and 39 MCAT, so I think I am considered a decent applicant.

Punisher said:
Naive?! I am just saying that a large portion of the med students are from CA, thus many CA applicants must get interviews for those spots. I'm not saying interviews/acceptances are guaranteed or anything. Man, u guys are coming down hard on me for asking this question. BTW, I have a 3.9 GPA and 39 MCAT, so I think I am considered a decent applicant.

What I'm saying is that CA as a whole is a net exporter of med students, not because our college graduates are so awesome but because our med school first year spots per capita of college graduates is disproportionally small compared to other states -- so that even though most people interviewed are Californians, this does not mean that most Californians are interviewed.

Also maybe there is a hole in your application that you aren't seeing..... or maybe this is just an unfortunate coincidence.

Telemachus said:
What I'm saying is that CA as a whole is a net exporter of med students, not because our college graduates are so awesome but because our med school first year spots per capita of college graduates is disproportionally small compared to other states -- so that even though most people interviewed are Californians, this does not mean that most Californians are interviewed.

I understand that... I did not mean to imply that most Californians are interviewed... What I am trying to say is that if I apply to two "equal" schools, one in CA and one OOS, I should have a better chance to get an interview at the CA school. And since no UC school has shown me any love (along with wildcat and shuzee), I am wondering what is going on with them...

wildcatbio06 said:
I am with you. Though I have gotten interviews at UCD and UCSD, they both waitlisted me. UCI put me put me on interview hold, UCSF rejected me and I have not heard anything from UCLA. Not cool.

Wildcat, you have a strong app... The sad part is that I know other people who are are getting interviews/acceptances to UCs with lower stats than you. I have a friend (Aug. MCATer) who got a 27 MCAT (i think) and she already got an interview at UCI. Ummm, I have been waiting longer than she has with no word from UCI. Damn them. And I have great LORs from UCSD faculty but not interview there either. They suck too. Doesn't that just piss you off?
Sorry, I had to blow off some steam.

Punisher said:
I understand that... I did not mean to imply that most Californians are interviewed... What I am trying to say is that if I apply to two "equal" schools, one in CA and one OOS, I should have a better chance to get an interview at the CA school. And since no UC school has shown me any love (along with wildcat and shuzee), I am wondering what is going on with them...

Actually, as a Californian, I think you might have a better shot at an interview OOS, especially at a private school. Yes, the Cali schools give you an edge but there are so many people applying, I don't think it helps all that much.

I have 10 OOS interview invites and ZERO Cali interview invites... beat that. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Punisher said:
Ummm, no... UC med schools have about 80% of their class from in-state applicants, so that sounds like a pretty damn good advantage to me.

'bout time someone pointed that out...sure is unfair that some of the california schools take as many as 10-20 out of state applicants...that is SO unfair to the californians...hehe, sorry if any californians are offended...but i do find it amusing just how many california applicants complain about there 6 or 7 state schools or whatever it is when the rest of the country is lucky to have one or two state schools.

maybe just plain old bad luck :(

good luck UCSD homie.

Overeducated said:
I have 10 OOS interview invites and ZERO Cali interview invites... beat that. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Wow, thats great that you have so many interviews. Kinda strange none are from CA.

jbrice1639 said:
i do find it amusing just how many california applicants complain about there 6 or 7 state schools or whatever it is when the rest of the country is lucky to have one or two state schools.

wow, i didn't realize how lucky we are :rolleyes:

anystream said:

glad i could help then. :rolleyes:

anystream said:

Everything depends on how strong of an applicant you are. If you're a really great applicant, being from CA is a godsend because you can get into amazing schools like UCSF and UCLA and pay low in-state tuition. If you're a great applicant from another state without a very strong school, or with a school geared towards primary care, you're forced to decide between paying extremely high private school tuition or settling for your state school. On the flip side, if you're not quite as strong of an applicant, it sucks to be from CA b/c you can't get into your state schools...

My conclusion- stop complaining. Life isn't always fair. Play the hand you're dealt, and be happy.

jbrice1639 said:
'bout time someone pointed that out...sure is unfair that some of the california schools take as many as 10-20 out of state applicants...that is SO unfair to the californians...hehe, sorry if any californians are offended...but i do find it amusing just how many california applicants complain about there 6 or 7 state schools or whatever it is when the rest of the country is lucky to have one or two state schools.

First of all, there are 5 state schools. Secondly, when one adds in private schools (a whole 3 of them), that brings the total to 8 for the state. That's 8 out of 120+ nationally, or about 6-7% of the med schools in the country.

We have over 30 million people, which is greater than 11% of the population of the USA.

Hmmm... 11% of the population, 6% of the med schools.... yeah, I feel sorry for people from other states. Clearly they have it rough when trying to stay in-state.

jbrice1639 said:

About 1:8 people in the U.S. live in California. Do we have 1:8 medical schools or 1:8 spots overall? No? That's what I thought.

5 out-of-state interviews (big 0 Calif-bastards). UCLA student Neuroscience major, Research: umm...it's UCLA, /MCAT34, GPA3.6 (not great, but lookable). Go USC!!

jbrice1639 said:

Yeah, I have to say your...well...wrong. Talk to any admissions officer or pre-health advisor, they will tell you that Californians have it the worst in terms of in-state "love". You can look at the percentages of accepted applicants... the UC's are in the 6-8% range for in-staters, about the same odds we have as out-of-staters at most other schools. For comparison... the SUNY schools are around 17%, UMDNJ's about 30%, Ohio State- 18%, etc. Many private schools in other states have in-state acceptance rates in these ranges too. So you can understand why it wouldn't be cool for UC's to accept more than the hand full of out-of-staters who are acepted every year.

unicorn06 said:
Everything depends on how strong of an applicant you are. If you're a really great applicant, being from CA is a godsend because you can get into amazing schools like UCSF and UCLA and pay low in-state tuition. If you're a great applicant from another state without a very strong school, or with a school geared towards primary care, you're forced to decide between paying extremely high private school tuition or settling for your state school. On the flip side, if you're not quite as strong of an applicant, it sucks to be from CA b/c you can't get into your state schools...

My conclusion- stop complaining. Life isn't always fair. Play the hand you're dealt, and be happy.

I don't think it necessarily matters how strong of an applicant you are. several of these people who are complaining are great applicants, like punisher, and haven't gotten interviews at UCs. i'm not necessarily complaining about a lack of attention from the UCs (they've been pretty nice to me so far) but the fact that there are so few spots available to CA students, many of whom have great applications. Tacrum's right...we should have more schools proportionate to our population.

I think something like 40% of all medical school applicants are from California; we spill over to all other states. There are simply far too many of us and far too few spots in Californian med schools. UC medical schools are among the most competitive schools in the country; our in-state acceptance rates are lower than the out-of-state acceptance rates at most public medical schools in other states. Actually, due to that reason all Californian medical schools are nearly impossible to get into, not just the public ones. Schools like SLU and NYMC take tons of Californian applicants each year who couldn't get into their own schools. The first thing our pre-med counselor at Berkeley told us: "If you only apply to Californian schools, you will get screwed". As Californians we must learn to live with our mixed-blessing (great schools that few of us can get into) and accept that most of us will be studying medicine somewhere with far crappier weather. The only UC I can get into is University of Cincinnati. ;)

Punisher said:
You obviously are naive if you didn't realize that UC schools are among the top in the nation. California applicants, unless they have stellar scores, EC's, letters, and essays, have a hard time finding spots even in state schools. It's actually easier to attend lower tier out of state schools.

Funny how some people can have really high stats, but are devoid of any common sense. Like someone else said, if your scores are truthful, there must be something wrong with your application that's bringing you down. Nothing like this application process to bring some people back into reality and serve them a piece of humble pie.

yellowpersuazio said:
You obviously are naive if you didn't realize that UC schools are among the top in the nation. California applicants, unless they have stellar scores, EC's, letters, and essays, have a hard time finding spots even in state schools. It's actually easier to attend lower tier out of state schools.

Funny how some people can have really high stats, but are devoid of any common sense. Like someone else said, if your scores are truthful, there must be something wrong with your application that's bringing you down. Nothing like this application process to bring some people back into reality and serve them a piece of humble pie.

Agreed.

yellowp, there is no reason to sound so harsh. it seems like you're venting your own frustrations on the op. it's unrealistic to expect anyone to remain entirely objective and disengaged throughout the application/waiting process.

i have 3.44 BS, and 3.9 MS from UCSD, 36 MCAT, cali resident, interviews at UCSD, UCD, and UCI. waitlisted at UCSD, waiting to hear from UCSF, UCLA. was rejected presecondary at UCSF, appealed, and then they sent me a secondary (perhaps in pity), UCs are strange i will agree, also think they should build a few more and let in O oos students, my 2 cents
-lobsty

yellowpersuazio said:

Well you don't have enjoy watching them eat the "humble pie" so much.

Here and in the GW rejection thread, you need to settle down.

lobster M.D. said:
i have 3.44 BS, and 3.9 MS from UCSD, 36 MCAT, cali resident, interviews at UCSD, UCD, and UCI. waitlisted at UCSD, waiting to hear from UCSF, UCLA. was rejected presecondary at UCSF, appealed, and then they sent me a secondary (perhaps in pity), UCs are strange i will agree, also think they should build a few more and let in O oos students, my 2 cents
-lobsty

Yes, every UC needs a med school. Maybe a few CSUs too. That would almost make things even with other states. :)

All the UC's are wack. The only school worth anything is SC.

Faust said:
All the UC's are wack. The only school worth anything is SC.

:sleep: Oh look, faust thinks something is "wack".

I think UC's should hook their UC undergrads up with an easier time for admitting.

Come on!!!! Only except that my school doesn't have a SOM...

BUT on the other hand, supposedly UCSF was part of UC Berkeley when it started. But UCSF grew so much that it separated itself. Imagine what a CAL + UCSF school would do. #1 in the world!

tacrum43 said:
Oh look, faust thinks something is "wack".

Big surprise!
:laugh:

yellowpersuazio said:

Yeah, I really agree with the above. Your stats are not the only indicator. Its also a strange crapshoot. For example I have had multiple Cali interviews, acceptances, and rejections...

I am very very VERY grateful for my interviews. I was expecting less invites, but I made sure I applied to a LOT of out of state back-ups from which I am begining to withdraw from...

My stats are definitely above average and I am URM/disadvantaged...
However, I also have over 5 years of research work (pending publications), over 3 years of clinical experience, clinical research (pending publications), VERY extensive community outreach/service, leadership, and awards etc. My letters of recommendation are also pretty strong, from professor/people that knew me really well.

In all, I believe to be competative for Cali you NEED above average stats, but to get you over the top you need something else that you excelled at (in fact make that more than one thing you did well in)...i.e Research/Community Service/ Clinical experience. Any lack of these things (great personal statement that really shows your motivations for choosing medicine, LORs, extracurriculars, grades, good secondaries) I believe will hurt you for getting interviews from within the state.

Getting an interview does not guarantee anything either because then you need to show your communication skills and that you enjoy things besides academics.

From my point of view, they want someone that will contribute to either research or helping underserved communities in Cali. Also, you need to make sure that you like doing all your extracurriculars, because they really should be fun thing that you like to do (for me thats community service)...

Good luck!

argonana said:
yellowp, there is no reason to sound so harsh. it seems like you're venting your own frustrations on the op. it's unrealistic to expect anyone to remain entirely objective and disengaged throughout the application/waiting process.

Thanks argonana for the backup... these guys are just pissed at me for having high stats. I have more book smarts, street smarts and common sense than they can ever imagine.

Have you tried applying to DO schools? Not trying to start a flame war here--just check out the Instate DO or Out of State MD thread. If you want to stay in CA, it's an option. They might be private, but since they are located in major metropolitan areas, you might be able to save money by living at home and commuting.

But yeah, I mentioned this problem at an interview day recently--the lady mentioned how they have been adding spots like every year. To the PRIME-LC program though. It's great if you are fluent in Spanish.

Thanks argonana for the backup... these guys are just pissed at me for having high stats. I have more book smarts, street smarts and common sense than they can ever imagine.
Dude, I hope that's sarcasm. You're talking about premeds. On an internet community. People with great stats are all over this board.

Punisher said:

Perhaps some folks here are jealous..... :rolleyes:

And perhaps some folks here are already attending a UC med school and wanted to lend their perspective to interested applicants but don't like the "the sun shines out of my ass" type of premeds..... :p

You say you're a UCSD undergrad. In recent years UCSD grads have overtaken Berkely and UCLA to become the largest fraction of med students at UCSD. So for you to get waitlisted for an interview might mean that there is some less-than-perfect aspect to your file. Is it possible you got screwed by a LOR writer (since most people waive the right to see the letter you may have gotten hosed and not know it)?

someperson said:
But yeah, I mentioned this problem at an interview day recently--the lady mentioned how they have been adding spots like every year. To the PRIME-LC program though. It's great if you are fluent in Spanish.

They are definitely increasing spots in California. For example, UC Irvine has increased 4 spots in the past two years through the PRIME-LC. Other UCs are developing PRIME program (I have heard rumors of UCSF having an urban/homelessness population, and UCD having a rural/laborer population) USC is increasing around 6-8ish spots this year. UC Riverside is planning a teaching hospital soon (years away) apart from UCLA. The AAMC has recommended that medical school begin to increase their class sizes...I think by 2015 they want to have 10% more position open, something like that (across the US).

Telemachus said:
You say you're a UCSD undergrad. In recent years UCSD grads have overtaken Berkely and UCLA to become the largest fraction of med students at UCSD. So for you to get waitlisted for an interview might mean that there is some less-than-perfect aspect to your file. Is it possible you got screwed by a LOR writer (since most people waive the right to see the letter you may have gotten hosed and not know it)?

I do have some less-than-perfect aspects of my application... but I figured that no one is perfect. Most people wish they could bulk up some aspect of their app but it's too late now. I wish I could have had more research experience... oh well. About the LORs - I probably didn't get screwed by a LOR, but 2 of the 5 LORs are from profs that didn't know me as well as I hoped. They might seem too impersonal... But my other 3 should be very good b/c I know the profs and they wouldn't screw me over.

Punisher said:
I do have some less-than-perfect aspects of my application... but I figured that no one is perfect. Most people wish they could bulk up some aspect of their app but it's too late now. I wish I could have had more research experience... oh well. About the LORs - I probably didn't get screwed by a LOR, but 2 of the 5 LORs are from profs that didn't know me as well as I hoped. They might seem too impersonal... But my other 3 should be very good b/c I know the profs and they wouldn't screw me over.
Well there's your answer. And of course, since you have "less-than-perfect aspects" on your application, I'm sure everyone else has them too, right? Hahaha...tis the UCSD way I suppose, to think you're the **** compared to everyone else. With a 39 MCAT and a 3.9 GPA, there must be something on your application that stands out. Maybe they sensed a tone of arrogance in your personal statement? Maybe your essays just weren't as strong? There could be a ton of valid reasons.

anystream said:
I don't think it necessarily matters how strong of an applicant you are. several of these people who are complaining are great applicants, like punisher, and haven't gotten interviews at UCs. i'm not necessarily complaining about a lack of attention from the UCs (they've been pretty nice to me so far) but the fact that there are so few spots available to CA students, many of whom have great applications. Tacrum's right...we should have more schools proportionate to our population.

Stop whining, at least you guys HAVE state schools. The other thing that always cracks me up is when people with stellar stats are sitting around wondering why on earth some of the best schools in the U.S. wouldn't want to interview someone like them. It's not just about the numbers guys; many a quantitatively qualified applicant has been left out in the cold by a lot of really great schools.

Everyone from California wants to stay in California, and everyone outside of California seems to want to come here! Even to the point of giving up a more prestigious out-of-state school to be near family, the warm weather, the Angels :D who knows. I've heard "I want to go to any school in California" on more than a few occasions!

JSK44 said:
Everyone from California wants to stay in California, and everyone outside of California seems to want to come here! Even to the point of giving up a more prestigious out-of-state school to be near family, the warm weather, the Angels :D who knows. I've heard "I want to go to any school in California" on more than a few occasions!

YES! I love the Angels! I have been going to games since I was 8 and I cried when they won the world series. But seriously, everyone needs to calm down. What's the point of trying to put other people down when nobody is the expert on anything here? I'm a socal native (Whittier) and I consider myself a decent applicant (not a 3.9 GPA or 39 MCAT though!) but I know how crazy the UCs are so I'm not surprised that I've had 6 interviews and all have been out of state. You also can't get caught up in names and rankings....I will be interviewing at Pritzker soon and I have had NO UC interview invites and only 1 UC secondary.

Sure I'm bitter but it's more because I love Cali and don't want to leave for 4 years....not because I feel like they should have admitted me. Plenty of Cali people go out of state for med school and have great experiences so just try to stay positive....med school anywhere in the US is better than none at all!

Punisher said:

Dude, it's not just about stats. The only thing I can tell you is that the reason you're not getting interviews from the UC's ISN'T because of your stats. There may be a ton of other reasons they haven't shown you any love. You sound kind of arrogant like you're entitled to an interview, and maybe that has something to do with it.

UCDavis (in state - 5.8%, out of state - .8%):
Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 4,043 472 196 93
In-state: 3,263 456 190 89
Out-of-state: 780 16 6 4

UCIrivine (in state - 9%):
Total: 3,632 465 288 100
In-state: 3,198 462 288 100
Out-of-state: 434 3 0 0

UCLA (in-state: 6%, out of state: 2.3%):
Total: 5,415 758 245 121
In-state: 3,240 551 195 102
Out-of-state: 2,175 207 50 19

UCSD (instate: 7.8%, out of state: 2.2%):
Total: 4,732 532 283 122
In-state: 3,170 452 248 112
Out-of-state: 1,562 80 35 10

UCSF (in state: 6.9%, out of state: 2.4%):
Total: 5,222 532 248 141
In-state: 2,708 N/A 188 114
Out-of-state: 2,514 N/A 60 27

Harvard (4.9%):
Total: 4,553 711 225 165

Yale (6.3%)
Total: 3,436 811 218 100

Duke (3.9%)
Total: 4,668 751 184 102

Most other state schools seemed to have in-state acceptances of about 20% (some waayy higher, some lower)

ca has over 30 million residents. go figure.

I am a California resident. I applied to twenty-four schools (including all the UCs), got fourteen interviews, seven acceptances, and six waitlist offers (that I ended up refusing before they came to accept or reject me). Only one of those fourteen interviews was a UC (it should be obvious given my sig which one that was). I attributed it to the fact that, while I was a strong applicant, I lacked any and all research experience. I'm very focused on clinical medicine, so it makes sense that the UC that is most focused on clinical medicine as well chose me in return.

Oh yeah, and the fact that the UCs get thousands and thousands of applications for their five relatively small classes might've had something to do with it as well.