Call for more non trad stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gatewayhoward

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know it's done a good amount on this site. But I'm wondering if I could hear the stories of the non traditional med students who have overcome the most adversity and obstacles to make it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gatewayhoward said:
I know it's done a good amount on this site. But I'm wondering if I could hear the stories of the non traditional med students who have overcome the most adversity and obstacles to make it.

Hey Gateway,
I found this guy's (Dr. Bruce Stafford) story here on SDN awhile back. Dr. Stafford is very candid about several things. Thankfully, I came by it when questioning if this was actually a realistic goal. After reading his story, I emailed him with a few questions, and he kindly replied with some insight. Those believing they may be too old should give this story a read.

http://members.cox.net/docstafford/Mystory.htm
 
my question is if a person went to the caribbean for medical school, but withdrew after the first semester, does he/she have to mention it in their US medical school application? Would it be dishonest? Or they don't care as long as it's not in the US?

your thoughts?
 
balquees said:
my question is if a person went to the caribbean for medical school, but withdrew after the first semester, does he/she have to mention it in their US medical school application? Would it be dishonest? Or they don't care as long as it's not in the US?

your thoughts?

Well, at the very least, you may have to explain what you did during that year. Then again, it depends on how closely they look at your app.

You could also get creative as to why that may not have been the best route for you.