Call schedule in Interventional Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entrepreneurMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello IR docs of SDN,

I've done some googling and there is surprisingly scarce information on this aside from 1 or two articles. What is the call schedule like as an IR attending and how often do you have to go in?

From my IR rotation so far, I've seen that the fellows that go into PP have a mix of IR days and DR days but the academic guys are 100% IR with call divided by weeks on call and off

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello IR docs of SDN,

I've done some googling and there is surprisingly scarce information on this aside from 1 or two articles. What is the call schedule like as an IR attending and how often do you have to go in?

From my IR rotation so far, I've seen that the fellows that go into PP have a mix of IR days and DR days but the academic guys are 100% IR with call divided by weeks on call and off

Intensity of call is based on practice type. If it's academic with level 1 trauma, call will be busier than for the IR employed at some dialysis center. But the frequency of call always comes down to how many people there are to split the work amongst

Intensity of call is based on practice type. If it's academic with level 1 trauma, call will be busier than for the IR employed at some dialysis center. But the frequency of call always comes down to how many people there are to split the work amongst
Good to know! What's the typical practice size?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to know! What's the typical practice size?
Varies but this can easily be found on google. I feel like most academic places I've seen are about 7-8 IRs but this varies. Community groups vary as well but Miami vascular is one of the bigger ones and on their website they have 10 IRs listed

I have been in a PP IR position for 21 years. We have had 12-16 rads in the group and two IRs (or the equivalent). During most of that time, I have been on call every other weekend. I highly recommend not getting yourself into such a position.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been in a PP IR position for 21 years. We have had 12-16 rads in the group and two IRs (or the equivalent). During most of that time, I have been on call every other weekend. I highly recommend not getting yourself into such a position.

Sounds absolutely awful.

Sounds absolutely awful.

Eh, it depends on the hospital size and type. The local children's hospital has just two IRs alternating call weeks between them, but a resident screens all the calls, and they don't get called in very often. What does suck, though, is that they can do things like drink alcohol only every other week.

Eh, it depends on the hospital size and type. The local children's hospital has just two IRs alternating call weeks between them, but a resident screens all the calls, and they don't get called in very often. What does suck, though, is that they can do things like drink alcohol only every other week.

That's true. I'm imagining taking call for our hospital system every other week. They get called in pretty much every night, even with residents screening calls.