Call Schedules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ophtho838

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since ophthalmology is a clinic-based specialty and they (usually) don't have inpatients, do ophtho residents usually get golden weekends every weekend (unless they're on call)? I assume so, but just curious if I'm missing something here...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not familiar with any residency where Ophtho residents work weekends unless they're on call. How often one is on call varies with the program. Also keep in mind that unlike medicine residents you'll be taking call at night during the week and you'll still have a busy day of clinic/OR the next day. Sometimes you're up from 11PM-5AM dealing with an open globe, getting the patient to the OR, scrubbing into the surgery with the attending, etc... and the next day still starts at 7AM.

So don't be misled; it ain't all roses for us eyeball surgery residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my institution it is fairly common for senior residents to do their post-op checks on Saturdays for Friday surgeries. Usually just the morning, though. Not sure if this varies by program.

Ophtho call is actually typically worse than intern year call, and this is coming from someone who did 30 hour call.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not familiar with any residency where Ophtho residents work weekends unless they're on call. How often one is on call varies with the program. Also keep in mind that unlike medicine residents you'll be taking call at night during the week and you'll still have a busy day of clinic/OR the next day. Sometimes you're up from 11PM-5AM dealing with an open globe, getting the patient to the OR, scrubbing into the surgery with the attending, etc... and the next day still starts at 7AM.

So don't be misled; it ain't all roses for us eyeball surgery residents.

I agree with this completely. Call is no walk in the park. Especially once buddy call is over. You have to know when to ask for help and when to relax and how to use your wills. It all sounds simple enough, but I've found myself stressed quite a few times and still do... I think everyone gets through it and it's a rite of passage and important for learning or motivating you to read learn so you know stuff.

I have had to learn to let go of questions and concerns once I've ruled out the really bad stuff. I still hate not knowing things sometimes or not being totally familiar with a diagnosis and having to refer to a manual.