Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Call Schedules

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by (nicedream), Apr 13, 2004.

1. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

I'll probably get **** for this, but if you don't know ask, right?
    Can anyone explain to me how to read the way call schedules are written for hospitals? ie q11d-20 mo. or block etc.
    Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Masonator

Masonator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

OOOOHHHHH! Playa hata nice dream attacking me for being such a bad speller that I am to (mispelled) stoopid to be in medicine. This from a someone who can't even read a call schedule and has to go online for assitance. Game-set-match! The ball is in your court playa hata! :idea:

4. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

Hey I thought the playa-hatin' was to be restricted to the designated playa-hatin thread...

5. Masonator

Masonator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The playa-hatin' is going global baby! Now nicedream, why would you have a link to LECOM as your signature? Do you think anyone would even want to check out that site? Do you think any of us are that interested in where you went to school?

T' Dao! You just got served again! Masonator-2/nicedream-1, the advantage shifts!

Masonator
    Funky Walker, Dirty Talker! :cool:

6. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

How's your reading comprehension Mason Jar? The link says Class of 2008, meaning I didn't go there - I am going to go there. Don't doctors need to pay attention to details?

7. Masonator

Masonator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Big words from a pre-med. You must be a playa-hatin natural! You haven't even started yet and you already know more about what it takes to practice medicine then me. So you attacked my reading comprehension and my attention to detail! Daang, I guess the score is Masonator 2, nicedream 2! I sense the hatin' force is strong in you young pre-med.

8. Masonator

Masonator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

By the way, if you are going to begin your first year of medical school then why are you asking about call schedules hata! Are you one of those gunners who is planning your clinical rotations two years ahead of time! Your a playa-hata and a gunner. You are what we call a DOUBLE THREAT!

9. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    No, I'm not a gunner, I'm just curious.

Can anyone please answer the orginal question though? :rolleyes:

10. Masonator

Masonator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

There is no answer to your question. That code you gave us was meaningless gibberish. It doesn't correspond with any known hospital call code. The hospital staff is hatin' on you and likely playing a nasty joke on a future first year. Are you gonna stand for that playa hata nicedream?

11. Masonator

Masonator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED BY PLAYA HATAS! YOU WILL NO LONGER FIND USEFUL INPUT FROM YOUR MEDICAL COLLEAGUES ON THIS THREAD!

You may now resume your normal studentdoctor net surfing.

12. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

I got that call schedule from FREIDA database, and all the residencies have similar looking ones.

Here are some examples: q3d-52wk, q6d-1wk, block etc

Also, what's the diff btw. reg call and beeper/home call?

13. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

q3d means that you will be on call every third night, and I assume that the 52 wks just means that you will be on call every third night for 52 weeks. Most programs have call schedules that differ depending on what rotation you are doing (eg ICU call can be q3 overnight, while general floor call can be q4 with nightfloat, ie go home ~10-11 pm and nightfloat intern takes over). Regular call is being in the hospital while you are on call, home call is going home or not being in the hospital but within a short driving distance in case you are paged.

14. Masonator

Masonator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Don't believe a word of these lies nicedream. This is an elaborate ruse to trick you into spending all of your free time in the hospital! They'll even try to get you to sleep thier(misspelled). When you wake up they'll all be around your bed laughing there(misspelled) asses off!

15. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

Thanks Kalel!

16. axm397

axm397 SDN Moderator
    Moderator Physician SDN Advisor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I found during my interviews that the Freida website can be quite outdated or inaccurate - so I wouldn't go by that.

17. Depends on the notation. Kalel kinda already explained it, though. :)

q3d-12mo means call every 3rd night for 12 months. q4d-12wk means call every 4th night for 12 weeks. Etc, etc, etc...