Calling Admissions Offices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bufer1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a waitlistee eager to show my "continued interest" in several schools, how has everyone gone about making these oh-so-important phone calls to the admissions office? Do you ask to speak directly to the dean? When you do get them on the phone (which is tough with some schools), what the hell can I say to them, week after week, to show that I still care and want to go there? I'm having a tough time trying to "put a voice to the name" at several schools--- any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the standard procedure was more about writing letters than making phone calls... It was my understanding that you're just supposed to write "update" letters and "letters of intent" expressing in writing that you would attend the school if they accepted you off the list.

Do other people call the admissions office to speak to the dean? That seems weird to me for some reason... like it's a pretty big demand on his/her time. Also whenever I call the admissions offices they're usually pretty terse and I don't talk to anyone with any *real* weight in the acceptance process.

I have heard mixed feelings about calling-- some say it annoys med schools and may turn them off to you,... however, others (the admissions officers I have spoken to) have told me to continue writing AND calling periodically to show interest and "put a voice to the name".... other thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
i would like to bump this up since wait list movements are coming

I've had zero luck calling and emailing my WL schools.

I wrote letters to all though but I can't send much more as there's nothing new about my situation.