Calling all 2006 test-takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am utterly bored right now, so I thought I'd start a new thread. Lets post:

1) Ideal Step 1 score:
2) Realistic Step 1 score:
3) Field of interest:

I'll start:

1) Ideal Step 1 score: 250+
2) Realistic Step 1 score: 235+
3) Field of interest: Ophthalmology

It'll be somewhat interesting to look at this thread once we get our scores back....in 7 months.

Members don't see this ad.

DOCTORSAIB said:
I am utterly bored right now, so I thought I'd start a new thread. Lets post:

1) Ideal Step 1 score:
2) Realistic Step 1 score:
3) Field of interest:
It'll be somewhat interesting to look at this thread once we get our scores back....in 7 months.

I remember this game being played in the MCAT forum. Most people would guess something like 32. The results, once released, saw half the group posting "I can't believe it, I got a 38 !!!!" with the other group posting individual threads "25M, need advice ASAP."

This game is utter torture :)

Ok i know i take "silent observer" to a very high level since i've been a member for years yet rarely ever post, but i figure it's a good idea to put my goals out there for everyone to see. anything to help with motivation.

ideal score: 240
realistic score: 225
field(s) of interest: varies among EM, neurology, and IM subspecialties

I've been supplementing my M2 path with the Goljan audio and annotating BRS path and FA pharm as we go through class. Planning to start hitting everything else (esp BRS physio) hard over our little christmas break coming up before starting Qbank. i've gotten all my advice from these forums so i don't think i'll be doing anything too different from all of you.

beastmaster said:
I remember this game being played in the MCAT forum. Most people would guess something like 32. The results, once released, saw half the group posting "I can't believe it, I got a 38 !!!!" with the other group posting individual threads "25M, need advice ASAP."

This game is utter torture :)

We're all hoping to be in the former group when we get our scores. I started this thread for several reasons:

1) I was bored
2) I wanted to see other posters goals, field(s) of interest, etc
3) I think it helps to set a goal if you're going to put in an effort into something.
4) To bring SDNers together as we get ready to buckle down for probably one of the most important tests of our career (depending on who you ask, of course). We could share information in the coming months and hopefully help each other out during times of stress...
5) SDN has been a great motivator for me in years past. Hopefully, I can return the favor as I progress through my academic career.

Ok, there you have it. Feel free to do something similar next year! G'luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
i wanna join!
ideal score: at least a 240
realistic score: at least a 240
field of interest: derm. the only other field i can see myself enjoying is infectious, but the residency is too long for my liking.

DOCTORSAIB said:
Kate, your stats are definitely impressive. Good job. I wish we had more time for our boards (COMLEX). It's becoming computerized for the 1st time this year and our curriculum hasn't really been adjusted yet, leaving us about 2 weeks of studying time. :mad: Anyways, enough venting.

Ok, here's the list (again):

1) Me
2) Surrender903
3) Quideam
4) BlackNDecker
5) Kurogoma
6) Dr.Pak
7) OSUDoc08
8) SarahGM
9) Dark Horse
10) Tiki
11) Box 29
12) WestCoast
13) thekate

I guess we'll have to change our name once again. How bout the "Dirty Baker's Dozen." (yes, I'm not that creative)

Anyways, welcome to SDN and thanks for coming out of your shell.

drmcdreamy said:
i wanna join!
field of interest: derm. the only other field i can see myself enjoying is infectious, but the residency is too long for my liking.

Derm: 1 yr internship + 3 yrs derm residency = 4 yrs total
ID: 3 yrs internal medicine + 2 yrs ID fellowship = 5 yrs total

drmcdreamy said:
i wanna join!

Welcome! You're the 14th member. Feel free to ask any board-related questions. You're gunning for an uber-competitive residency so please check the derm forum also for current trends/advice. G'luck in your prep.

1) Me
2) Surrender903
3) Quideam
4) BlackNDecker
5) Kurogoma
6) Dr.Pak
7) OSUDoc08
8) SarahGM
9) Dark Horse
10) Tiki
11) Box 29
12) WestCoast
13) thekate
14) drmcdreamy

Count me in!

2) Realistic Step 1 score: 240+
3) Field of interest: Infectious Disease, Dermatology, Emergency Medicine

Gosh, can't believe that time is coming..seemed like i was applying to med schol yesterday ...

missbonnie said:
Count me in!

2) Realistic Step 1 score: 240+
3) Field of interest: Infectious Disease, Dermatology, Emergency Medicine

Gosh, can't believe that time is coming..seemed like i was applying to med schol yesterday ...

As you wish. All aboard?

1) Me
2) Surrender903
3) Quideam
4) BlackNDecker
5) Kurogoma
6) Dr.Pak
7) OSUDoc08
8) SarahGM
9) Dark Horse
10) Tiki
11) Box 29
12) WestCoast
13) thekate
14) drmcdreamy
15) missbonnie

Remember, Step 1 is our b!tch. (smacks the air with his hand...)

Ideal: 240
Realistic: 230
Field of interest: Anything but Psych, OB, or Family

we own it

1) Me
2) Surrender903
3) Quideam
4) BlackNDecker
5) Kurogoma
6) Dr.Pak
7) OSUDoc08
8) SarahGM
9) Dark Horse
10) Tiki
11) Box 29
12) WestCoast
13) thekate
14) drmcdreamy
15) missbonnie
16) TY06

Wow not even christmas yet and you guys/gals are talking about step 1. I'm sure you guys are gonna pimp slap dat biatch. :thumbup:

Long Dong said:
Wow not even christmas yet and you guys/gals are talking about step 1. I'm sure you guys are gonna pimp slap dat biatch. :thumbup:

Why haven't we started an official Step 2 list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pox in a box said:
Why haven't we started an official Step 2 list?
I thought you were strongly opposed to posting scores on here? Remember how you've whined incessantly about how everyone on here lies, etc.? You took great pleasure in beating down the "inflated" scores on here while never having the courage to post your own.

And now you're wanting to start one of your "official" threads!

Wait -- it was just that YOU didn't want to post YOUR scores, right???

:rolleyes:

1) Me
2) Surrender903
3) Quideam
4) BlackNDecker
5) Kurogoma
6) Dr.Pak
7) OSUDoc08
8) SarahGM
9) Dark Horse
10) Tiki
11) Box 29
12) WestCoast
13) thekate
14) drmcdreamy
15) missbonnie
16) TY06
17) Funkless

I guess I'll join the club.....

ideal: 240+
realistic: 225ish

fields of interest: varies....IM specialties, neuro, maybe even surgery. In other words, i have no freakin' idea

man, i can't believe that this beast is comin' up.....although we still have some time, time sure flies crazy fast when you're livin' life from test to test in medical school. might as well strap ourselves in for the bumpy road peeps and enjoy our breaks when we can.....good luck and have a great holiday :horns:

allright:

ideal and realistic= 230

what does everyone think about starting our own yahoo groups where only those on the list are able to sign on and we can ask questions and see what everybody is talking about without cluttering this place up. It makes it more of a "team" approach and we can attach study files for each other on the group.

bigfrank said:
I thought you were strongly opposed to posting scores on here? Remember how you've whined incessantly about how everyone on here lies, etc.? You took great pleasure in beating down the "inflated" scores on here while never having the courage to post your own.

:laugh: :laugh:
everytime pox posts something on here, it sets off frank's pox-alarm.

bigfrank said:

Do you actually read the posts or just do a search for all of my posts? *******. I was talking about people who are gearing up for Step 2. I didn't say anything about scores. I had to come out of my retirement to tell you to shut the hell up, again. Give it up fat boy. The kids miss their daddy. Quit following me like a lost puppy. When you graduate, are you still going to be harrassing people about board scores? I hope not.

Oh oh, I hope this isn't going to turn into a Frank VS. Pox gladiator match. We've have quite enough of that already... with all due respect to both Frank and Pox (ie, don't attack me! I'm just weak and miserable, bohoohoo) :scared:

Pox in a box said:
Do you actually read the posts or just do a search for all of my posts? *******. I was talking about people who are gearing up for Step 2. I didn't say anything about scores. I had to come out of my retirement to tell you to shut the hell up, again. Give it up fat boy. The kids miss their daddy. Quit following me like a lost puppy. When you graduate, are you still going to be harrassing people about board scores? I hope not.

Pox in a box said:
Let's call this your "official" whiney b!tch post!!!

You speak of your "retirement" like you're a celebrity. Is that what you think you are, Poxy? A 'celebrity' that no one respects, that starts "official" threads (and lies about Dr. Mom sanctioning them), and belittles those that post their Step I score & experience? :laugh:

felipe5 said:
I guess I'll join the club.....

realistic: 225ish

fields of interest: varies....IM specialties, neuro, maybe even surgery. In other words, i have no freakin' idea

man, i can't believe that this beast is comin' up.....although we still have some time, time sure flies crazy fast when you're livin' life from test to test in medical school. might as well strap ourselves in for the bumpy road peeps and enjoy our breaks when we can.....good luck and have a great holiday :horns:

Welcome! Alright, let's kick some serious a$$ this summer.

1) Me
2) Surrender903
3) Quideam
4) BlackNDecker
5) Kurogoma
6) Dr.Pak
7) OSUDoc08
8) SarahGM
9) Dark Horse
10) Tiki
11) Box 29
12) WestCoast
13) thekate
14) drmcdreamy
15) missbonnie
16) TY06
17) Funkless
18) Felipe5
19) Lazyguy (I like your idea, though I'm not sure how to set it up in yahoo)

Guys, this team is growing fast. Keep up the good work.

I second the Yahoo Group idea, if for no other reason than to exclude Bigfrank.

can the individuals that would like to be part of the yahoo group send me a yahoo email which they can quickly get for free so that you can be part of the group. email me at [email protected] and I will send you an invitation to join the group. we can attach our study sheets and ideas there.
funkless said:
I second the Yahoo Group idea, if for no other reason than to exclude Bigfrank.

I'd like to join but I have a question. How do you guys know what is a "realistic" score? I have no idea right now. I am in the top half of my class and feel like I am learning the material pretty well but I have no idea how this will compare on a national level.
Anyway,
ideal score: 240+
realisitic: 230??
fields of interest: EM, IM,

YouDontKnowJack said:
i'll join a yahoo group just to get the bootleg goods.... :)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SDNUSMLE/

here is the link for people to join...it is a closed group so that not everyone on the internet will join to clutter up our group with garbage. To join you must have a yahoo address, which you can acquire for free. I'll attach some of the files I have later tonight, if you guys have any files that you think are good add them.
thanks

cobra.jpg

ladies and gentlemen, i present our mascot

another silent observer officially joining the group! :thumbup:

Ideal Score: 240+
Realistic Score: 230
Field of Interest: anesthesia, critical care

JBlue said:
I'd like to join but I have a question. How do you guys know what is a "realistic" score? I have no idea right now. I am in the top half of my class and feel like I am learning the material pretty well but I have no idea how this will compare on a national level.
Anyway,
ideal score: 240+
realisitic: 230??
fields of interest: EM, IM,

Realistic score = score deep down inside you're likely to get based on your past performance on standardized tests, pre-clinical grades, etc.

Ideal score = score that you'd sacrifice your left testicle for (assuming you have them)...

om207 said:
another silent observer officially joining the group! :thumbup:

Ideal Score: 240+
Realistic Score: 230
Field of Interest: anesthesia, critical care

Welcome! Anesthesia is becoming more and more competitive. Still plenty of spots but the "good" programs are picking and choosing who they want. Check out the anesthesia forum if you haven't already.

Surrender, I'll take that as our mascot. A little lavenderish but good enough.

1) Me
2) Surrender903
3) Quideam
4) BlackNDecker
5) Kurogoma
6) Dr.Pak
7) OSUDoc08
8) SarahGM
9) Dark Horse
10) Tiki
11) Box 29
12) WestCoast
13) thekate
14) drmcdreamy
15) missbonnie
16) TY06
17) Funkless
18) Felipe5
19) Lazyguy
20) JBlue
21) om207

Guys, don't forget to join the yahoo group that Lazyguy created.

i'm thinking about anes too. I don't mind going to a lower teir program if they're gonna be an ass about it. As long as i'm anes board certified............

OK boys and girls, I'm in!

But I haven't even started thinking about scores yet. I did very well on the MCAT and in pre-clinical classes, and I'm good at multiple choice, but I really don't know if that means anything. I'm just not the type of person who can sit and study 12+ hours straight for over a month. And I've forgotten a lot over these 1.5 years. So I dunno, I guess I'll say this:

Ideal: 260 (being a girl, I have no testicles, but I guess I'd give an ovary or a breast for that)
Realistic: 240 (if I work harder than I think I can, which usually happens)
Fields: Neurology, cardiology, interventional radiology, possibly some sort of surgery...still wide open though

Someone here mentioned taking the boards early...my school has the MS3 year starting in May now (we're the first year going through it this way), so we have to take the USMLE near the end of April. We get about 2 months to study (1 month of "integrated case studies" and 1 of free study time). I'm nervous about how the compressed curriculum will affect our board scores, but I guess we all end up learning the stuff on our own anyway. OK, I'm rambling now, but I think it would be interesting to see how my class does vs. the previous classes who took boards in June.

PianoGirl04 said:
OK boys and girls, I'm in!

But I haven't even started thinking about scores yet. I did very well on the MCAT and in pre-clinical classes, and I'm good at multiple choice, but I really don't know if that means anything. I'm just not the type of person who can sit and study 12+ hours straight for over a month. And I've forgotten a lot over these 1.5 years. So I dunno, I guess I'll say this:

Ideal: 260 (being a girl, I have no testicles, but I guess I'd give an ovary or a breast for that)
Realistic: 240 (if I work harder than I think I can, which usually happens)
Fields: Neurology, cardiology, interventional radiology, possibly some sort of surgery...still wide open though

Someone here mentioned taking the boards early...my school has the MS3 year starting in May now (we're the first year going through it this way), so we have to take the USMLE near the end of April. We get about 2 months to study (1 month of "integrated case studies" and 1 of free study time). I'm nervous about how the compressed curriculum will affect our board scores, but I guess we all end up learning the stuff on our own anyway. OK, I'm rambling now, but I think it would be interesting to see how my class does vs. the previous classes who took boards in June.

Welcome! That'd be awesome if you break a 260. We need a few MVP's on our team.

1) Me
2) Surrender903
3) Quideam
4) BlackNDecker
5) Kurogoma
6) Dr.Pak
7) OSUDoc08
8) SarahGM
9) Dark Horse
10) Tiki
11) Box 29
12) WestCoast
13) thekate
14) drmcdreamy
15) missbonnie
16) TY06
17) Funkless
18) Felipe5
19) Lazyguy
20) JBlue
21) om207
22) PianoGirl04

DOCTORSAIB said:
Welcome! That'd be awesome if you break a 260. We need a few MVP's on our team.

Well, a girl can hope, right? It's not terribly realistic, but I've been told that a few people from the class ahead of me broke 260. My school's average is usually 227, but that class bumped it up to about 237. I'm a little worried that my class won't do as well as they did, but I think knowing their numbers will make us step up. It's like they threw down the gauntlet, and it's up to us to keep it going. That's why I see the 240 as realistic (I think I can at least do as well as their average), but I'd crap my pants if I got 20 or so points above that!

Go Cobras! :D

This thread is so pumped up, it makes me wanna take step 1 again, well maybe not. Good luck purple corbras. I hope someone one starts a team for step 2, i guess nobody really cares, oh well.

PianoGirl04 said:
Someone here mentioned taking the boards early...my school has the MS3 year starting in May now (we're the first year going through it this way), so we have to take the USMLE near the end of April. We get about 2 months to study (1 month of "integrated case studies" and 1 of free study time). I'm nervous about how the compressed curriculum will affect our board scores, but I guess we all end up learning the stuff on our own anyway.

god. being a guinea pig sucks.
i bet many people in your class are bitching about this.

Add me to the list. I have no idea what kind of score to expect, especially since I don't know how the test is scored.

Ideal: High
Realistic: Probably not as high as I want!
Field of interest: Peds subspecialty, maybe EM

I'm in....
realistic: 220+
field of interest: IM, EM...

ideal: 260+
realistic: 240-260
field of interest: neurosurgery, cardiology

chillypalmer said:
I am in too.Cheers!Go Cobras! :D

Wow, we're really starting to rock n' roll now. Welcome chillypalmer, James20062, DoctorWannaBe, wam_256, lealf-ye!

1) Me
2) Surrender903
3) Quideam
4) BlackNDecker
5) Kurogoma
6) Dr.Pak
7) OSUDoc08
8) SarahGM
9) Dark Horse
10) Tiki
11) Box 29
12) WestCoast
13) thekate
14) drmcdreamy
15) missbonnie
16) TY06
17) Funkless
18) Felipe5
19) Lazyguy
20) JBlue
21) om207
22) PianoGirl04
23) chillypalmer
24) James20062
25) DoctorWannaBe
26) wam_256
27) lealf-ye

Guys, don't forget to add yourself to Lazyguy's yahoo group. We're already exchanging valuable info on there. Go team!

YouDontKnowJack said:
god. being a guinea pig sucks.
i bet many people in your class are bitching about this.

Oh man, it sucks to no end. We have so many classes that are completely disorganized...and everyone is always saying "bear with us, this is a completely new course..." at the beginning. It definitely gives us something to complain about...

i am yet another lurker, but today i reveal my essential gunner nature:

Ideal board score: ~260
Realistic board score: 230+
Specialty interests: Neurosurgery, psychiatry, neurology, IM -- keeping my options open.

Our school's P/F, so class rank is a mystery. i do well on the exams, getting avg or better on the vast majority of them.

Besides the obvious goal of kicking ass on this exam, i'd really like to try and integrate the material we're learning so it becomes coherent. I'm not into memorizing first aid, but i am interested in understanding it. That way the info will hopefully stick around for the wards and such.

Good luck to everyone!

hobs said:
i am yet another lurker, but today i reveal my essential gunner nature:

Ideal board score: ~260
Realistic board score: 230+
Specialty interests: Neurosurgery, psychiatry, neurology, IM -- keeping my options open.

Our school's P/F, so class rank is a mystery. i do well on the exams, getting avg or better on the vast majority of them.

Besides the obvious goal of kicking ass on this exam, i'd really like to try and integrate the material we're learning so it becomes coherent. I'm not into memorizing first aid, but i am interested in understanding it. That way the info will hopefully stick around for the wards and such.

Good luck to everyone!

Welcome. It looks like we have another MVP-to-be (260+) on our team. G'luck.

1) Me
2) Surrender903
3) Quideam
4) BlackNDecker
5) Kurogoma
6) Dr.Pak
7) OSUDoc08
8) SarahGM
9) Dark Horse
10) Tiki
11) Box 29
12) WestCoast
13) thekate
14) drmcdreamy
15) missbonnie
16) TY06
17) Funkless
18) Felipe5
19) Lazyguy
20) JBlue
21) om207
22) PianoGirl04 (260 club)
23) chillypalmer
24) James20062
25) DoctorWannaBe
26) wam_256
27) lealf-ye
28) hobs (260 club)

Hi everyone, I too am somewhat of a lurker but why not become more proactive.

Ideal score: 250+
Realistic score: 230+
Fields of interest: PM&R, Peds, Anesthesiology....

Good luck everyone, I hope we're all able to get thru this together! :thumbup:

Question, how are you guys coming up with your realistic scores? Have you taken a diagnostic exam already or something?

Rogue_Leader said:
Question, how are you guys coming up with your realistic scores? Have you taken a diagnostic exam already or something?

Nah, just making them up. It's silly, I agree.

If you had "predicted" your MCAT score---how close would you have been?