Calling all 2009 PharmD grads

Started by dakine
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not convinced that pharmacists aren't finding jobs. There are other professions that are much more saturated and they are still able to find jobs. Sometimes you have to move far away from home but that is the nature of the situation sometimes. I'm sure that if you have good credentials you can find something somewhere.


interesting you say that, i am residency trained, licensed in 2 states and cannot find work (retail, hospital, clinical, consulting).

i will be filing for unemployment as of tomorrow afternoon. are you convinced yet? even per diem is not available here. i even considered asking to work as a technician. 50 mile radius and nothing, so yea it is really saturated where i am stuck. i have been looking for 3-4 months now. other residents i am coming out with also have no prospects whatsoever.
 
interesting you say that, i am residency trained, licensed in 2 states and cannot find work (retail, hospital, clinical, consulting).

i will be filing for unemployment as of tomorrow afternoon. are you convinced yet? even per diem is not available here. i even considered asking to work as a technician. 50 mile radius and nothing, so yea it is really saturated where i am stuck. i have been looking for 3-4 months now. other residents i am coming out with also have no prospects whatsoever.

This is really depressing. So did you actually try to downgrade to working as a technician?
 
interesting you say that, i am residency trained, licensed in 2 states and cannot find work (retail, hospital, clinical, consulting).

i will be filing for unemployment as of tomorrow afternoon. are you convinced yet? even per diem is not available here. i even considered asking to work as a technician. 50 mile radius and nothing, so yea it is really saturated where i am stuck. i have been looking for 3-4 months now. other residents i am coming out with also have no prospects whatsoever.

Where are u looking???
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not a graduate, heck I'm not even in pharmacy school yet, but I came across these figures the other day and thought you might find them interesting.

http://www.pharmacy.purdue.edu/students/prospective/EmploymentPU08.php

.065% of their 2008 class was looking for work as of August of 08. Granted the stats are a year old, but I still see them as a bit encouraging.

There was still a shortage then. The saturation came after all the 2008 grads were hired. The threads will continue because I feel right now were at an even point, probably next year we will be super saturated and the following year There will be A Lot of precipitates(unemployed new grads). This is concerning me because I was planning on moving back home to take care of my parents in a few years and I hope I will have the oppurtunity because right now it doesn't look so good, Chicago has no work I know grads that had to go to milwualkee for work. It didn't help that mwu increased class size to over 200 damn greedy colleges.
 
There was still a shortage then. The saturation came after all the 2008 grads were hired. The threads will continue because I feel right now were at an even point, probably next year we will be super saturated and the following year There will be A Lot of precipitates(unemployed new grads). This is concerning me because I was planning on moving back home to take care of my parents in a few years and I hope I will have the oppurtunity because right now it doesn't look so good, Chicago has no work I know grads that had to go to milwualkee for work. It didn't help that mwu increased class size to over 200 damn greedy colleges.


I dont understand where people come up with this BS....i personally interviewed there for a job and there were 2 or 3 other positions at the same hospital...there was also 1 joint faculty position open as well....hmmm maybe those 2 years of residency were worth it
 
interesting you say that, i am residency trained, licensed in 2 states and cannot find work (retail, hospital, clinical, consulting).

i will be filing for unemployment as of tomorrow afternoon. are you convinced yet? even per diem is not available here. i even considered asking to work as a technician. 50 mile radius and nothing, so yea it is really saturated where i am stuck. i have been looking for 3-4 months now. other residents i am coming out with also have no prospects whatsoever.


have you ever thought that maybe people dont like you? and yes im am still not convinced. I am also licensed in 2 states and 2 years of residence and no problem finding a job. The residents I work with both 1 year trained found jobs. Granted they both had to work evening shift at first. We have 6 schools of pharmacy in my state. As i have said before though 1 year of residency does not always open up all of the doors you would like. There has to be at the very least a night shift position open somewhere.
 
Last edited:
At Walgreen's, I know an 09 grad who will be a floater in the NYC area as well as an 09 grad who will be a floater in FL, and I know an 08 grad who tried to get a job in NJ and she is still not settled.
 
have you ever thought that maybe people dont like you? and yes im am still not convinced. I am also licensed in 2 states and 2 years of residence and no problem finding a job. The residents I work with both 1 year trained found jobs. Granted they both had to work evening shift at first. We have 6 schools of pharmacy in my state. As i have said before though 1 year of residency does not always open up all of the doors you would like. There has to be at the very least a night shift position open somewhere.

what's not to like, i got a smile like a movie star 😉.

its the area i am in that is just super super saturated plus the hospitals are all on hiring freeze. 3/4 residents in my program are without jobs and freaking out. some physicians i know coming out are also finding a hardtime with jobs bc of the hiring freezes. the economy is very rough right now. i found per diem spot open in one place that i will talk with tomorrow. you might be in a diff area. i am near a bunch of big cities on the east coast unfortunately.
 
I dont understand where people come up with this BS....i personally interviewed there for a job and there were 2 or 3 other positions at the same hospital...there was also 1 joint faculty position open as well....hmmm maybe those 2 years of residency were worth it

what are you using to find these positions you speak of?
 
what are you using to find these positions you speak of?

I think he might just be in a big city on the east coast. I also had more job prospects than I cared to entertain post-residency. All four of my co-residents have had jobs for several months now. We all live in a large city with a pharmacy school present.
 
what are you using to find these positions you speak of?


i started at midyear and then went by word of mouth....my specialty is small overall though and many people email out positions etc....i talked to a nurse on my floor today since everyone has been talking bout pharmacy saturation and she says there are minimal nursing jobs in our area and even though she wants to quit she cant.
 
I dont understand where people come up with this BS....i personally interviewed there for a job and there were 2 or 3 other positions at the same hospital...there was also 1 joint faculty position open as well....hmmm maybe those 2 years of residency were worth it

Which hospital? Did they require a residency?