Calling all 2009 PharmD grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dakine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there's been a lot of hearsay about new grads having difficulty getting jobs. I want to hear first hand from new grads, not people who heard from so-and-so, etc. I think we all would appreciate you keep rumors just as they are, rumors. This thread is started for the purpose of either quashing the rumors or actually backing them up.

I'll be graduating next year so I'm curious. Hearing from you would be greatly appreciated as that can help us 2010 graduates plan better.

Things to include would be what setting you're working/looking in (retail/hospital/clinic), urban/suburban/rural, etc.

If you have been having difficulty finding a job, it would be helpful if you are transparent about your situation (i.e. moving to a different state, looking in a state you don't have an intern license with, etc).

Thanks in advance for sharing!!!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you create this thread? Did you not see the other 100 threads on this very same topic, or did you just think you were too special to search?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is coming from a 2007 graduate. I still have not found a job. OP, I would drop out now if I were you, it is not too late. I even offered Walgreens my services for 16 dollars an hour and they still wanted to put me in the float pool, which I had to turn down due to family issues.

I have classmates in Albuquerque, NM who cannot find jobs. Part of that is that the school of pharmacy is in the city, and it is the only major metro area within about 6 hours.

But yes, I know multiple people without jobs.

This is coming from a 2007 graduate. I still have not found a job. OP, I would drop out now if I were you, it is not too late. I even offered Walgreens my services for 16 dollars an hour and they still wanted to put me in the float pool, which I had to turn down due to family issues.

Wow!!! Same here, its hell out there. The lowest I will go is $20.00 an hour though. Good Luck!

Sounds like you'd be a good candidate for pharmacist-anesthesia.

We're not hiring any 2009 grads... the application file is back logged to 2007... and we're calling them now..

why do wise-a***** like to chime in??? Mountain and WellWell- are you 2009 grads? Mountain-you must really hate your life b/c all you ever post are neg neg neg. I feel sorry for you-need a hug??? :biglove:Your post was just a waste of time. And the other well well wise-a** who tends to make wise-a** comments on other threads-are you even in COLLEGE yet, let alone pharmacy school? From all of your postings, looks like you're just some high school/"pre-pharm" punk hiding behind a computer, trying to start crap.:thumbup:

This is not a thread asking for veteran pharmacists or "pre-pharm" KIDS to chime in. This is NOT a thread that has been started, similar-yes, but NOT as BROAD and SPECIFIC. This is NOT a thread about a specific market or about if there is a surplus of pharmacists. This IS a thread about 2009 grads (for you guys who don't understand this term = grad within the last month) and their stories about landing/not landing a job. Please read the title of the thread before being total (fill in the blank).
Again, if you read the thread, you would know your comments are out-of-line and not invited. THANKS!!! :eek:

Man what is with people like you guys? You don't like it, don't read it-plain and simple. Now can we stop the disrespectful and rude posts and get back to answering the questions and limit it to 2009 grads???

Goodness....My head's about to :boom:

Hey Spiri.. I'm looking for a walkaround lens that I can use for both 20D and 5D.. so 28-300mm.. Not the heavy Canon L that weighs 5 pounds..but something like Tamron.. have you played with it?

why do wise-a***** like to chime in??? Mountain and WellWell- are you 2009 grads? Mountain-you must really hate your life b/c all you ever post are neg neg neg. I feel sorry for you-need a hug??? :biglove:Your post was just a waste of time. And the other well well wise-a** who tends to make wise-a** comments on other threads-are you even in COLLEGE yet, let alone pharmacy school? From all of your postings, looks like you're just some high school/"pre-pharm" punk hiding behind a computer, trying to start crap.:thumbup:

This is not a thread asking for veteran pharmacists or "pre-pharm" KIDS to chime in. This is NOT a thread that has been started, similar-yes, but NOT as BROAD and SPECIFIC. This is NOT a thread about a specific market or about if there is a surplus of pharmacists. This IS a thread about 2009 grads (for you guys who don't understand this term = grad within the last month) and their stories about landing/not landing a job. Please read the title of the thread before being total (fill in the blank).
Again, if you read the thread, you would know your comments are out-of-line and not invited. THANKS!!! :eek:

Man what is with people like you guys? You don't like it, don't read it-plain and simple. Now can we stop the disrespectful and rude posts and get back to answering the questions and limit it to 2009 grads???

Goodness....My head's about to :boom:
Let me call in the SDN Book of Forum Records staff, this just may qualify for the prestigious "SDN's Most Incoherent Babbling Post Ever" award.

To the OP:

You're new to the forum, haven't even posted past 5 posts yet, so pls act as humbly and courteously as you can. The other posters may not be 2009 grads, but don't you know/realize pharmacy is all about connection?; they do have internal info about the hiring and geo. locations. You've already attempted to alienate potential informers. You're 2010 grad; by the time of your graduation, the situation may not have been the same. Like the other poster pointed out, what could you have done differently or prepared if the situation became hopeless? Quit pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I have problems understanding thread titles similar to the way some people have problems understanding how to use the search function.

My bad:eek:

Let me call in the SDN Book of Forum Records staff, this just may qualify for the prestigious "SDN's Most Incoherent Babbling Post Ever" award.

Whoa there!! There is more to it than calling in the rule book staff. There is a procedure to follow here. You have to submit a preliminary application to the SDN Book of Forum Records staff then it gets forwarded to the awards committee and so on. I am of course the chairman of the awards committee and have the supreme final say on all awards. Sort of like the Ayatollah of the SDN awards committee.

In his defense, this could have been a good thread if 2009 grads actually posted here about their job troubles. Trolls for the win, though.

Wow, nice comeback. Can we get some real 2009 grads to actually respond? I'm done wasting my time with trolls!

I guess I have problems understanding thread titles similar to the way some people have problems understanding how to use the search function.

My bad:eek:

So why don't you go ahead and do a search for ONLY 2009 grads responding. When you find it, let me know. Otherwise, leave your demeaning remarks to yourself, and allow the people who have something helpful to say to actually respond! :thumbup:

In his defense, this could have been a good thread if 2009 grads actually posted here about their job troubles.

Exactly!! Except for the part of "job troubles". It would be nice hear some success stories more than the troubles.

Last edited:
In his defense, this could have been a good thread if 2009 grads actually posted here about their job troubles. Trolls for the win, though.

Why?

To the OP:

You're new to the forum, haven't even posted past 5 posts yet, so pls act as humbly and courteously as you can. The other posters may not be 2009 grads, but don't you know/realize pharmacy is all about connection?; they do have internal info about the hiring and geo. locations. You've already attempted to alienate potential informers. You're 2010 grad; by the time of your graduation, the situation may not have been the same. Like the other poster pointed out, what could you have done differently or prepared if the situation became hopeless? Quit pharmacy?

I found the OP to be quite flattering. I'm still technically "pre-pharm" until I start school in the fall but it has been a long time since anyone called me a KID and he/she even used all caps.

Okay sorry. My mid-year resolution will be to resist the urge to post smart ***** comments on pointless, worthless threads that have nothing to do with me. Rejoice Old Timer! That means I will never post on SDN again. :eek::eek::eek:

We will see how long it lasts. Hey, has anyone heard of that new Walgreens "POWER" program? I think I will start a new thread!!!!

So why don't you go ahead and do a search for ONLY 2009 grads responding. When you find it, let me know. Otherwise, leave your demeaning remarks to yourself, and allow the people who have something helpful to say to actually respond! :thumbup:

I may just be a "pre-pharm" KID but even I know that if you want to get people to leave helpful remarks, going around and insulting the regulars is not the way to do it. But feel free to do it your way. So far your results have been stellar. :thumbup:

id have to say if you can find a way to stay in school and get degrees that will let you jump from one focus to another that will improve your ability to stay employed.

i came out before 09 but finished residency this year. im pretty much screwed and filing for unemployment.

To the OP:

You make an excellent point, however, one's response isn't dictated by how many posts one's made. I do know that pharmacy, as every professional field is, is about connections. I've had a career that's all about connections b/f deciding to change my path to the wonderful world of pharmacy. But if there are trolls lurking, they only deserve to get called out. It's not helpful, by any means, when a straight forward thread is started and trolls start trouble right off the bat. No one earns a cordial response if they can't be cordial themselves. If they truly were on these forums to help, and they actually knew of a thread that was just like this one, all they needed to do was post the link. No need to be disrespectful as they have been.

With that being said, I respect what you have to say, and kudos to you for being cordial, even if you didn't like my response to these guys. You deserve a cordial response. Now, it would be nice if this thread got on track.

I may just be a "pre-pharm" KID but even I know that if you want to get people to leave helpful remarks, going around and insulting the regulars is not the way to do it. But feel free to do it your way. So far your results have been stellar. :thumbup:

The comment was directed only at well well, but your point is well taken. These 2 guys weren't helpful to start off the thread. Why be nice to trolls? As you can see, mountain continues to troll. It's sad that we can't have mature responses, but oh well. We'll see if this thread gets off the ground.

To the OP, I just read your first post, and thought that it would actually be interesting and practical. As I read it though, I was 100% sure that the usual suspects would show up with their derisive and useless responses. Sorry about that, better luck next time.

To the OP, I just read your first post, and thought that it would actually be interesting and practical. As I read it though, I was 100% sure that the usual suspects would show up with their derisive and useless responses. Sorry about that, better luck next time.

You get the same question I asked in post #21? Tell me why this would have been a useful, interesting thread? What would you personally do with the information? What would the OP do with it? Everyone here pisses and moans about how the Walgreens on the beach in San Diego isn't hiring, or how they cannot land a retail job in New York City. Well boo-****ing-hoo. Or, how they just cannot relocate because of "family reasons." My ass. This is all we would get on this thread, just like the last several dozen.

Now, if the OP is telling me that he needs this information to make some sort of substantive decision, then maybe I would buy it. But it changes NOTHING, unless he is prepared to dropout (or do something based on the "interesting and unique" responses), in which case, I support the 2009 graduates coming in and letting us know how the unemployment line feels.

Have we actually answered this question - or was it passed off like pre-pharm ramblings and has subsequently been pigeon-holed ever since???

I am pretty sure the answer is:

Metro area = saturation - you may have to move to find a good job. If you are unwilling to move, you better be willing to not have a job.

That being said, there are plenty of jobs to be had (distant / rural). The economy is still a pile of turds - so you may want to put that in perspective.

Any complaining that you may want to turn to at this point would be met with senseless rambling / trolling.

You get the same question I asked in post #21? Tell me why this would have been a useful, interesting thread? What would you personally do with the information? What would the OP do with it? Everyone here pisses and moans about how the Walgreens on the beach in San Diego isn't hiring, or how they cannot land a retail job in New York City. Well boo-****ing-hoo. Or, how they just cannot relocate because of "family reasons." My ass. This is all we would get on this thread, just like the last several dozen.

Now, if the OP is telling me that he needs this information to make some sort of substantive decision, then maybe I would buy it. But it changes NOTHING, unless he is prepared to dropout (or do something based on the "interesting and unique" responses), in which case, I support the 2009 graduates coming in and letting us know how the unemployment line feels.

I was thinking about making a few profiles and posting here telling them I'm a recent graduate and the job market is terrible. Hopefully Yahoo will come across the information and post it on the home page that the pharmacy field of work is doomed. That way a lot of people would drop out and I wouldn't have any competition once I graduate.

I am a 2009 grad... just licensed... signed with major chain last November.

*The bonuses are small unless you are willing to relocate to a high needs area, then it is higher.
*Hourly pay rate was very nice.
*Hours are very long... 14 hour days.
*Company is financially strong (important in this economy).
*Vacation to start with is 2 weeks.
*I'm working in the northern part of metro Atlanta. Jobs in the Atlanta area are not plentiful, but if you are willing to relocate and work in a more rural area, jobs are plentiful.

Hope this info was helpful. Sorry I couldn't respond with bitterness and hatefulness like the previous posters... but I don't see the point in it. Go figure, coming to a message board with the idea of being kind and helpful.

I was thinking about making a few profiles and posting here telling them I'm a recent graduate and the job market is terrible. Hopefully Yahoo will come across the information and post it on the home page that the pharmacy field of work is doomed. That way a lot of people would drop out and I wouldn't have any competition once I graduate.

You wouldnt be the first! Believe it or not, some people on this forum have admitted to doing that.

*The bonuses are small unless you are willing to relocate to a high needs area, then it is higher.
*I'm working in the northern part of metro Atlanta. Jobs in the Atlanta area are not plentiful, but if you are willing to relocate and work in a more rural area, jobs are plentiful.

Hope this info was helpful. Sorry I couldn't respond with bitterness and hatefulness like the previous posters... but I don't see the point in it. Go figure, coming to a message board with the idea of being kind and helpful.

(to GApharmgirl) Shame.. i thought maybe this thread would remain on top for days without having a single actual answer to the OP's question..

(to the op) Not to be mean, everyone deserves a fair shake here, but by god, havent we had enough with the job threads?? Is this called "pharmacy student anxiety message board" ?? or "pharmacy student message board" ??... I sometimes feel like we need a therapist or something to talk some people down in here, judging from the number of times someone has said "at such and such a point, your life is basically ****ed, and you might as well kill yourself", it seems some people are dealing with some serious issues regarding money, standard of living, and maybe their mental stability.

This is unacceptably on-topic.

I am not convinced that pharmacists aren't finding jobs. There are other professions that are much more saturated and they are still able to find jobs. Sometimes you have to move far away from home but that is the nature of the situation sometimes. I'm sure that if you have good credentials you can find something somewhere.

I am a 2009 grad, I am just got a job in Alaska with a 100,000,0 bouns over three years because they are really in need. I turned it down to go to med school.

Job prospect isn't that bad, see, OP just wants to believe.

The moral of the story, boys and girls? Use the search function exhaustively before posting a new topic.

This thread slipped by my screening so, its late but....
128660498159844805.jpg

I am not convinced that pharmacists aren't finding jobs. There are other professions that are much more saturated and they are still able to find jobs. Sometimes you have to move far away from home but that is the nature of the situation sometimes. I'm sure that if you have good credentials you can find something somewhere.

It isn't that Pharmacists can't find jobs, they just are too hard headed and aren't willing to relocate to a place where there isn't an ocean front view.....if that makes sense.