Calling All SDN Dental Experts!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clipse

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. My question is this:

I am currently in my junior year of college. After I have taken my Organic Chemistry final tommorrow, I will have completed all of my required courses. Being that my grades are good, but do have a few blemishes (2 C- in Pathophysiology/Pharmacology taken my sophomore year and 3 Ws :scared: ) I would like to apply as early as possible, as to increase my chances of being admitted.

When should I submit my application to AADSAS? Take into consideration that I am going to ask 3 of my professors for positive letters of recommendation on Monday (5/16), have yet to write write a personal statement (but have brainstormed), and have not taken or registered for the DAT. I would like to have my AADSAS application processed as early as possible, while still having a good amount of time this summer to study and do very well on the DAT.

I heard somewhere that one can process their AADSAS application as long as they have submitted their official transcript (processing does not require having your letters of recommendation or DAT scores in). One can then study intensely for the DAT and allot several weeks for their professors to write their letters of recommendation while AADSAS is processing their application. Then as soon as, or before, the application is processed one can submit their LOR and DAT scores and thus their application will arrive at the dental schools they are applying the same time (in comparison to if they had already had their DAT scores and LOR submitted to AADSAS at the time they filled out the original AADSAS application).

Anyone care to make an inexperienced and highly impressionable dental-newbie a timeline. Also, would any current dental students be willing to critique my personal statement? Does anyone have any quick tips as to how to best study for the DAT, as far as daily independent-studying regimen and/or materials to use?

Best wishes to everyone in all of their endeavors, especially those who are currently applying...

GOD BLESS SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

First things first, welcome to SDN! Now down to business. In regards to whole LOR, DAT scores complete file thing many schools will not even consider your file until all materials have come in to them, regardless if AADSAS considers your file to be complete. Thus, you need to look at it as you're not done until school 'X' has everything, not AADSAS. While you are not late by any means, the ball should have been started a couple of months ago. I'll lay down a time table for you according to what I would do in your shoes:

1. Approach your professors as soon as possible about LOR's. Plan on giving them an unofficial copy of your transcript and ask them if they would like you to make an appointment with them should they need to talk to you to gather information to put into your LOR's. Professors tend to be very busy individuals so give them at least four weeks to crank them out for you.

2. Start brainstorming and writing down ideas for your personal statement. Usually the best way to start is to create a list of your accomplishments, your reasons for choosing dentistry, short and long term personal/professional goals, and life experiences that influenced your choices. Examine example essays, such as those available on Essagyedge.com, and start bringing those items from your list to life on paper. Don't be trapped into thinking that you have to start with an introduction first - at first concentrate on building the body of your essay. Besides self editing pass it around to trusted friends and ask for an honest opinions. Having someone tell you 'it's good' is of no service to you. There is always room for improvement and the mark of a good edit is lot's of red ink. Trust me, it will go through many versions before you arrive at one you are truely happy with.

3. Register to take the DAT. You can do that online at the ADA's website. The test is available most days of the week and it is administered on a computer. It will take AADSAS at least four to six weeks to turn your application around so you'll be fine taking the DAT during July.

4. Purchase a copy of Kaplan's blue DAT study book and a copy of Topscore ASAP. I regard Kaplan's bood as the DAT bible - sure it has it's short comings, but you'll never find the 'perfect' guide. It lays out the material in the same order that appears on the DAT and does a good job of covering most of the information you'll be tested over (everything that you'll need to know for general and organic chemistry is in their book so memorize these sections). Topscore is great for two reasons: it's has practice tests so you can learn what your weak areas are and also it is almost identical in format to the real thing enabling you to already be familiar with the DAT before you take it. In regards to a study regime I went to the library for about 6-8 hours everyday for six weeks. I poured over the Kaplan book, went over class notes, made flashcards, and took lot's of practice exams. I didn't have the luxury of Kaplan courses so I forced myself to get up day in and day out as I wasn't going to take that test a second time.

5. If you haven't already done so then get a list of schools you are interested in. See what their deadlines and application requirements are (such as secondary fees and additional materials not collected by AADSAS). Here is a link that will take you to a very helpful list - print it out.

5. When AADSAS opens up create an account and get to work filling it out. To be early, and thus have a good advantage, you will need to submit it within June and no later than July.

I hope this helps, and best of luck to you during this cycle! :thumbup:

Thanks Sprgrover for all the great information. Looking at my situation I think I have two options:

(1.) Submit my AADSAS application, without my 3 LOR, by 05/23. Then when it is processed and sent out to my list of schools (late June/early July) use Interfolio to individually send out my LOR to each school. Then when I am ready to take that DAT (mid/late July) I will submit my scores and have a complete file.

OR

(2.) I can submit my AASDAS, with my 3 LOR, 06/06 - thus it'll probably be processed in early/mid July. Then I can take my DAT (mid/late July) and submit my scores to have a complete file.

It really comes down to whether I should use AADSAS or Interfolio to process my LOR. Do you think one option is better than the other? I've heard of some schools granting interviews to some individuals before they receive their DAT scores - but I don't know if this will apply to my 3.4 cum. gpa.

Clipse said:
It really comes down to whether I should use AADSAS or Interfolio to process my LOR. Do you think one option is better than the other? I've heard of some schools granting interviews to some individuals before they receive their DAT scores - but I don't know if this will apply to my 3.4 cum. gpa.

Either way is fine, not goign to matter. Schools will NOT give out interviews before receiving DAT scores UNLESS the applicant has some kind of connection with adcom members/faculty or some other weird little circumstances. Just don't even think about it.

Your application is not complete until all the little pieces are in and schools DO NOT review incomplete apps.