Calling faculty members "Dr. X" even after receiving Pharm.D title

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nguyen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone still addresses their Pharm.D faculty members as Dr. X outside of pharmacy school? Especially when you graduated and received your Pharm.D as well, shouldn't you both be on equal terms? Since you both have a Pharm.D.

I bring this up because my professor was picking up scripts at my pharmacy and my PIC addressed them as Dr. X, while the professor said Hi Z, only addressing my PIC by their first name. I find it funny because they both have the same degree.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just curious if anyone still addresses their Pharm.D faculty members as Dr. X outside of pharmacy school? Especially when you graduated and received your Pharm.D as well, shouldn't you both be on equal terms? Since you both have a Pharm.D.

I bring this up because my professor was picking up scripts at my pharmacy and my PIC addressed them as Dr. X, while the professor said Hi Z, only addressing my PIC by their first name. I find it funny because they both have the same degree.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, I would still address them as Dr. X mostly due to the fact that it's out of respect. I've had an Army instructor in college who I see outside of the program and I still address them as "insert rank here" X. But I guess it just depends on you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have the time to learn multiple names for people. They decide what they want to be called while making a first impression. That's it.

Reactions: 1 user
I have only interacted with one professor post graduation, she told me to call her by her first name only. TBH I found it a little odd calling her by something other than Dr X just out of four years of habit.

I really do not think it matters.

I prefer students to use first names even during training with me as we're all going to be colleagues anyway and I am that way with all my patients (I also don't call myself Dr in the medical setting though I earned it twice as it creates unnecessary distance when trying to get information out of a patient). I won't call Dr. So-and-So at this stage of my career. I do insist on using my full name rather than a nickname.

Europeans (Germans in particular) who are insistent on the matter, I address with formal title + surname and expect likewise.

One other observation, in public out of context, I hate being recognized as an academician. When you do so in non-medical surroundings, you may bring up questions that aren't relevant to the parties involved.

Depends on if I like them and/or have respect for them... the PHD p1 professors were all legit, much smarter than I'll ever be..... some of the PHARMd who taught me who also play tried to play doctor and tried to make themselves seem like the ****, while all they do is volunteer in hospitals aren't taken seriously by anyone: I will call them by their first name... they can go kiss my behind

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Totally agree that if they were your respected instructor, then perhaps it is okay, but otherwise it's super corny to call someone Dr. X while they are calling you by your first name.

I don't really ever see them - but once I graduate - everybody is on a first name basis - hell 90% of the docs I work with go by their first name with me. And I HATE when students call me Dr XXXX - just call me by my first name

PIC is probably doing it out of habit, but I would only call my professor doctor in school or in an e-mail.

Am I the only one that calls/refers to people by their last names?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

PIC and I would refer to one another as Dr. in emails at target in order to put the STL on edge.

Am I the only one that calls/refers to people by their last names?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
In college I think I was the only one in my fraternity who didn't go by their last name or some bastardization of it - but ironically as soon as I left college - that practice went away - unless of course it is still one of my college buddies - then- ya - last name

PIC and I would refer to one another as Dr. in emails at target in order to put the STL on edge.
This is something I can get behind. I hate when you have the pretentious clinical pharmacist who insists on the title because it feels like they think they are above everyone else who is on a first name basis (and might be making more), but I love the idea of subtlety intimidating some nobody who is trying to tell you how to practice because they want customers to be happy.

You would call them Dr. X not because they have a PharmD but because they are a professor, but if you aren't their student anymore you could call them whatever you want. At the end of the day does it really matter?

What the old saying, call me whatever you want, just don't call me late to supper?