Calling Fellow DO's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_Surgeon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, are there any of you that applied to allopathic gen surgery programs without taking the USMLE? If so, could you please post what programs you got interviews and possibly matched? I am a third year DO student who only took the COMLEX and trying to decide if there is hope for me in the allopathic world. Thanks a million!

Members don't see this ad.

Still not too late to take the USMLE.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on what type of programs you are applying to. If it is a community program, you might get away with the COMLEX and a good audition rotation.

If it is University based, then the USMLE 1 might be a very good idea unless you have some inside leverage.

Definitely plan on taking USMLE 2 along with COMLEX 2 around September so programs will see your scores. At the very least, try to put up good scores on the step 2.

What about the PE portion of Step 2 of USMLE?? I dont want to spend the money for it

Man, your absolutely nuts for not taking the USMLE. I completely understand that you don't want to crack out First Aid and pound all that stuff into your noggin, but come on man. You have sunk >100,000 bucks and countless hours into your career...take the test.

If my half-assed attempt to motivate you didn't work then apply EVERYWHERE and hope for the best. Rotating at some strong community programs (one academic to get a fattie letter) will land you a spot if you impress them. That is how I would go about things if I was too lazy to take the USMLE.

I don't know of any DO's outside the military who applied to gen surg w/o taking the USMLE. Its just too goofy not to.

Hey Vent, I really do appreciate your replies. I know how I must sound and how frustrating it must be to listen to me. I have dug through my crap and pulled out Step up and First Aid....Now I just have to find the motivation to do it. Again thanks

It is just their standard the USMLE
if you want to compete with MDs for MD slots then you have to play their game
U must take USMLE cuz they will not consider DO boards equal.

This is the reason why ACS does not recognize many AOA gen surg residencies.
Even for many subspecialty boards they will not grant you board eligibility if you didnot do ACS accredited programs that is how they lock you out.

In current Medical System, most insurances will only give you as much as 5 years to be board certified. If you don't then you can;t see their patients.

So You need to find a way to be board certified.

Some fellowship wouild not consider you if you did non acs accredited residency.

Gee..so complicated it seems.

You have to understand the mentality here. Many allopathic general surgery PD's will think they are doing you a favor by even looking at you as a DO. The least you can do is take their damn exam! Seriously, you have practically zero chance of matching into an allopathic general surgery program without a Step 1 score unless you are banking on some community program in some 500 population town in the Oklahoma panhandle.

I interviewed for a cornell affiliated program with DO boards only for a cathegorical position...

But, I think I did find prejudice against DO candidates...

Many MD surgeons are disgrunted about DO surgeons being very competent in the surgical specialty...They just don't like that...

I was interviewed by like 4 guys total...and the chief resident...
One guy was CT surgeon, the other two were director and associate director and one guy who was trauma and critical care surgeon.. The trauma surgeon sounded as he had a beef against DO coming into MD residencies...he was like
"hey did you know there is DO residencies like good 15 minutes from here, so in case you don't make it I guess you can try there." Oh gee thanks a lot...The guy was minority too so i was like is this reverse discrimination or what....

The CT surgeon was asking what was DO???
So I was like MD + physiotherapy training...that's all little more than allopathic training.. He was pissed of indeed...

So I did not care since I got into two other Surgery programs so...what a heck...I wanted to come work in the same Hospital where I volunteered as a premed.....plus I was from the neighborhood...Hey there goes again my desire to contribute to my community.....

But the trend is I think DO should support DO surgery residencies...
There are nice fellowships out there these days...

Grant medical center in Ohio has a trauma fellowship pretty nice training spot indeed...many DOs there working very hard.