SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Calling new rx for patients?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by doubletwenty, Jan 12, 2018.

1. doubletwenty

doubletwenty

Feb 25, 2016
    If a patient calls the pharmacy and asks you guys to call or fax the doctor's office to request a new prescription for them, would you do it?
    Or would you tell the patients that they need to go visit the doctor for that?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. hye345

hye345 10+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Northern California
    Depends on the context. If it's something like lisinopril or lipitor (AKA non-urgent), I just send an electronic request, and tell them that once we were back, they (should be) notified. For other meds like anti-seizure or antibiotics, where missing the occasional dose actually matters, I would try to call, to at least leave a message with the office staff. If we have been trying to reach doctor's office for more than a few days, and patient has gone without, AND they have a history of getting that medication from us, I usually offer to loan 3 days worth of meds (for non-controlled meds anyway), and let patient know that they need to contact the doctor too, to speed things along.

4. KimChiSlap

KimChiSlap

Sep 10, 2016
    Well that sounds like refills, then yes.
    But if the patient google something on the internet and try to avoid visiting the doctor, by requesting you ask their doctor for something like an antibiotic. Nope. Some people would google their own symptoms and self diagnose to avoid paying a fee to the doctor office.

5. zelman

zelman 7+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2009
    If it’s totally new, I tell the patient to call. If they were supposed to have sent it to me and it never arrived, I’ll call. If it’s a refill, I’ll fax.

CetiAlphaFive and RxVampire like this.
  6. wagrxm2000

wagrxm2000 2+ Year Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Faxing for refills is your friend.

7. doubletwenty

doubletwenty

Feb 25, 2016
    Nope, I would fax for refills.
    I'm talking about prescriptions that have been never filled at the pharmacy.
    Thanks for the input guys.

8. wagrxm2000

wagrxm2000 2+ Year Member

Sep 17, 2014
    I'm all about getting new patients, I do call.

We simply say, we'll call but it's probably a good idea to check yourself too.

9. BigBoss

BigBoss 2+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Fax and if the doctor denies, then it’s the patient’s responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ranger99rx

ranger99rx

Nov 12, 2017
    If they had taken it in the past at another pharmacy then I would fax it. But if they saw something on TV and want me to fax their doctor then best for them to discuss w/ their doctor.

11. Apotheker2015

Apotheker2015 2+ Year Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Well, was the prescription written they're trying to renew written without any refills to begin with? (Say for a starting does of a statin without any refills) Is the doctor an ER doctor? Is the med for a short course of say flexeril for neck pain from the CVS minute clinic down the street - written without refills? Now they have neck pain again. Since the doc knows about it, the patient thinks the doc can obviously send a new script without seeing him.
    Does the most recently filled script state "MUST BE SEEN IN CLINIC FOR MORE REFILLS".
    You gotta screen the requests. Otherwise, you'll end up creating more work for everyone. They're cutting hours everywhere. So you have to make sure you're not wasting time on nonsense.

12. Sine Cura

Sine Cura 10 seconds or less 7+ Year Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Second the above. You need to know the local prescribers.

The best ones are the dumbass Kaiser patients who want to get their **** cheaper outside Kaiser or patients of pain management practices that NEVER send any e-scripts or faxes or do call-ins. It's fun arguing with these morons

13. doubletwenty

doubletwenty

Feb 25, 2016
    That's the problem. Idk if the doctor wrote any additional refills for this patient. The patient has never filled prescriptions at our pharmacy before. I usually tell them to call their doctor themselves to send in a prescription to us by fax or by telephone. If it was for refills, I would fax the request.

14. Apotheker2015

Jun 9, 2015
    That’s an opportunity for you to educate that patient to not waste your time like that. That’s stupidity, right there.

For refills, sure, I fax, but if it falls under any of the categories I listed, I delete that thing off my queue. I won’t follow up on something that was clearly written for a 1 time deal.

15. Apotheker2015

Jun 9, 2015
    My favorite ones, though, are patients asking for refills on their NORCO, Percocet. In my area, pharmacies quit sending those faxes. You tell the patient to call the doctors office and without fail you have the nurse calling to ask why.
    Well, handle your own workflow. We’re not your call center. Who started that nonsense anyway?