Calling new rx for patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doubletwenty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a patient calls the pharmacy and asks you guys to call or fax the doctor's office to request a new prescription for them, would you do it?
Or would you tell the patients that they need to go visit the doctor for that?

Members don't see this ad.

If a patient calls the pharmacy and asks you guys to call or fax the doctor's office to request a new prescription for them, would you do it?

Depends on the context. If it's something like lisinopril or lipitor (AKA non-urgent), I just send an electronic request, and tell them that once we were back, they (should be) notified. For other meds like anti-seizure or antibiotics, where missing the occasional dose actually matters, I would try to call, to at least leave a message with the office staff. If we have been trying to reach doctor's office for more than a few days, and patient has gone without, AND they have a history of getting that medication from us, I usually offer to loan 3 days worth of meds (for non-controlled meds anyway), and let patient know that they need to contact the doctor too, to speed things along.

Well that sounds like refills, then yes.
But if the patient google something on the internet and try to avoid visiting the doctor, by requesting you ask their doctor for something like an antibiotic. Nope. Some people would google their own symptoms and self diagnose to avoid paying a fee to the doctor office.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it’s totally new, I tell the patient to call. If they were supposed to have sent it to me and it never arrived, I’ll call. If it’s a refill, I’ll fax.

Reactions: 1 users
Faxing for refills is your friend.

Nope, I would fax for refills.
I'm talking about prescriptions that have been never filled at the pharmacy.
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm all about getting new patients, I do call.

We simply say, we'll call but it's probably a good idea to check yourself too.

Fax and if the doctor denies, then it’s the patient’s responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they had taken it in the past at another pharmacy then I would fax it. But if they saw something on TV and want me to fax their doctor then best for them to discuss w/ their doctor.

Well, was the prescription written they're trying to renew written without any refills to begin with? (Say for a starting does of a statin without any refills) Is the doctor an ER doctor? Is the med for a short course of say flexeril for neck pain from the CVS minute clinic down the street - written without refills? Now they have neck pain again. Since the doc knows about it, the patient thinks the doc can obviously send a new script without seeing him.
Does the most recently filled script state "MUST BE SEEN IN CLINIC FOR MORE REFILLS".
You gotta screen the requests. Otherwise, you'll end up creating more work for everyone. They're cutting hours everywhere. So you have to make sure you're not wasting time on nonsense.

Second the above. You need to know the local prescribers.

The best ones are the ******* Kaiser patients who want to get their **** cheaper outside Kaiser or patients of pain management practices that NEVER send any e-scripts or faxes or do call-ins. It's fun arguing with these *****s

Well, was the prescription written they're trying to renew written without any refills to begin with? (Say for a starting does of a statin without any refills) Is the doctor an ER doctor? Is the med for a short course of say flexeril for neck pain from the CVS minute clinic down the street - written without refills? Now they have neck pain again. Since the doc knows about it, the patient thinks the doc can obviously send a new script without seeing him.
Does the most recently filled script state "MUST BE SEEN IN CLINIC FOR MORE REFILLS".
You gotta screen the requests. Otherwise, you'll end up creating more work for everyone. They're cutting hours everywhere. So you have to make sure you're not wasting time on nonsense.

That's the problem. Idk if the doctor wrote any additional refills for this patient. The patient has never filled prescriptions at our pharmacy before. I usually tell them to call their doctor themselves to send in a prescription to us by fax or by telephone. If it was for refills, I would fax the request.

That's the problem. Idk if the doctor wrote any additional refills for this patient. The patient has never filled prescriptions at our pharmacy before. I usually tell them to call their doctor themselves to send in a prescription to us by fax or by telephone. If it was for refills, I would fax the request.

That’s an opportunity for you to educate that patient to not waste your time like that. That’s stupidity, right there.

For refills, sure, I fax, but if it falls under any of the categories I listed, I delete that thing off my queue. I won’t follow up on something that was clearly written for a 1 time deal.

My favorite ones, though, are patients asking for refills on their NORCO, Percocet. In my area, pharmacies quit sending those faxes. You tell the patient to call the doctors office and without fail you have the nurse calling to ask why.
Well, handle your own workflow. We’re not your call center. Who started that nonsense anyway?