Calling Schools to Check for Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Gerrard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have submitted all of my secondaries.

With some schools, I can check status online. But with others, like Columbia, Harvard, etc, you can't. Is it all right to call these schools?

Do they get annoyed?

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia sends out a complete email. For other schools look up the school specific threads and see what people are doing. A lot of the people answering phones get quite annoyed with people calling them nonstop inquiring about their statuses.

For schools that don't have status checks or complete emails, it's okay to call them after a reasonable amount of time.

Usually on the secondary or the website it says wait 3-6 weeks (example). After 6 weeks call.

Usually on the secondary or the website it says wait 3-6 weeks (example). After 6 weeks call.

Definitely this. Schools vary on contact time, but I have seen schools say 6-8 weeks before inquiring about your status. You certainly do not want to anger the school, especially because it is still relatively early in the cycle. Just hold tight for a bit.