Calling the PD or Chair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leavinTX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After you have decided what program you are putting #1 do you think you should call them, have your home school Chair call, or write a letter letting them know you put them first? Or do you think at this point they have already made their list anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

leavinTX said:
After you have decided what program you are putting #1 do you think you should call them, have your home school Chair call, or write a letter letting them know you put them first? Or do you think at this point they have already made their list anyway?

I would just write a letter or send an e-mail to the PD and let them know that they are your 1st choice. Anything else is overkill and may reflect negatively on you.

I have been told that you should have your dean call the program director or chair. I would think that it is easier this way anyhow b/c then you don't have to be nervous about making the call yourself. Good luck with your decision!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If the program director or chair calls to say that it is someone's number one choice, the program director at that institution will take it more seriously, because it is very unlikely that a program director will call a bunch of places to say that they are your number one choice. A prospective applicant, however, could.

do you guys think that it is too late at this point and that programs have already made their lists?

i am currently doing a rotation and have only had the chance to do one second-look and would like to do one or two more for my top three choices. so i will know my rank order at the earliest tuesday, feb 14th. will it be too late at that point for my school's chair or PD to make the call?

I do know that a lot of programs have already met...either last week or this week...I've heard this from a couple of residents that I know at a few schools, so if you know your #1, I would recommend probably sending an e-mail to the PD ASAP, so they get it in time if they haven't already met. Hope this helps!

Some of the programs where I interviewed mentioned that their meetings were around the 17th or 18th of Feb. I would think that the program dir can change rank order lists if they want, wouldn't you? So even if you let them know Feb 14th, the deadline isn't until Feb 22nd. If you read info about the algorithm on the NRMP site it seems as if the can also shuffle applicants around during the match itself. Good luck in the match!!!

P.S. My last second look is on Feb 15th.

i emailed the PD after my second look...she emailed back and said "nothing could make me happier than to see your name on our match list in march." is this generic or actually reassuring????

sound pretty reasurring.

Keep in mind that besides program name you'll need to factor in sanity
[1] Night floats offere reliable schedules rather than q 4 with less on calls/mo
[2] Larger programs have better work hours (ie inevitably one will leave one will get pregnant/sick... etc..)
[3] Fellowships opportunities
[4] Didatics did everyone pass OB/Gyn Boards/ Score 200 (avg on CREOGS)?
[5] DId people leave the program why..
[6] How stable are the faculty
[7] Publications the more the better known
[8] Estrogen/Testosterone mix of class

Good luck

little mermaid said:
do you guys think that it is too late at this point and that programs have already made their lists?

i am currently doing a rotation and have only had the chance to do one second-look and would like to do one or two more for my top three choices. so i will know my rank order at the earliest tuesday, feb 14th. will it be too late at that point for my school's chair or PD to make the call?

lists made and entered by most schools. Programs have earlier deadlines.

Diane L. Evans said:
lists made and entered by most schools. Programs have earlier deadlines.

According to the nrmp.org 2006 Main Match Schedule, programs and applicants both have the same official submission time. Of course programs and students can finish early if they want to...

From http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/yearly.html :

February 22, 2006
Late Registration Deadline

Rank order list certification deadline
Applicants and programs must certify their rank order lists by 9:00 PM eastern time. Staff will be available to answer your questions during the final deadline hours. CERTIFIED applicant and program rank order lists and any other information pertinent to the Match must be entered in the R3 System by this date and time.

travel_often said:
i emailed the PD after my second look...she emailed back and said "nothing could make me happier than to see your name on our match list in march." is this generic or actually reassuring????

Calling is always worth a try!!! As luck would have it, I placed a call to the PD at the Mayo and was invited over for dinner to discuss my rank list! Who knew??? Give 'em a call, it can never hurt! :clap:

Diane L. Evans said:
sound pretty reasurring.

Keep in mind that besides program name you'll need to factor in sanity
[1] Night floats offere reliable schedules rather than q 4 with less on calls/mo
[2] Larger programs have better work hours (ie inevitably one will leave one will get pregnant/sick... etc..)
[3] Fellowships opportunities
[4] Didatics did everyone pass Boards/ Score 200 more on CREOGS?
[5] DId people leave the program why..
[6] How stable are the faculty
[7] Publications the more the better known
[8] Estrogen/Testosterone mix of class

Good luck

A few clarifications in using this list for decision-making about programs:
CREOGS have no pass or fail. This is an in-service exam that identifies a resident's strong and weak areas. Most programs will not, for their resident's privacy sake, share scores with applicants.

Also, folks seem to be very concerned about people leaving programs. It happens in the most competitive programs and, unless residents are leaving in droves, should not be a huge factor in your decision. People find themselves in the wrong field, have family factors that cause them to want to change specialities or locations, have babies, get sick....losing a resident does not mean a troubled program.

travel_often said:

I got similar emails. One of which was from my number one choice. I just hope they are being honest. What I am late in though is the phone call I would have liked my Dean to make. It turned out he was on vacation this week. I am now asking another Dean at my school. I hope it isn't too late.

community

CREOG average score 200 you are correct no failing however remedial is used in some instances for 2 SD outside mean. CREOG scores are good way to guage passing national boards.