Calls from PD/Chairman to our favorite program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pili

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they an absolute necessity? Especially for the top programs? The type of call I am talking about is where you already got the interview, like it, and plan to rank it first. Then you tell your PD (who was expecting you to stay in his program). :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Pili said:
Are they an absolute necessity? Especially for the top programs? The type of call I am talking about is where you already got the interview, like it, and plan to rank it first. Then you tell your PD (who was expecting you to stay in his program). :confused: :confused:

My understanding is that this comes from your advisor, dean or another person involved in advising you, preferably from someone with connections at the place you want to go. Not from your PD. I've been told that this can be helpful but is not necessary. And I was told the same thing about the notes you can write at the end telling the program that they are your first choice--can be helpful, but not necessary.