Cambridge (UK) Undergrad Trying for US Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arcminute

Reaction score
I couldn't find too much information on here about anyone that went to Cambridge undergrad that was planning on applying to U.S. Med Schools.

Without giving too much detail, I have citizenship from an Asian country and am currently studying at Cambridge in their Natural Sciences Program. I've compiled a list of US schools that will accept a UK bachelor's degree in lieu of a US one as long as I fulfill the equivalent prereq's in the UK (which I am set to do with my biology classes).

I know its in general difficult to get into US medical schools as an international applicant but I have to wonder if a prestigious school like Cambridge helps somewhat. If there are any people on here that know of people that went to Cambridge then later came to the US for medical school that'd be great hearing how you did in the admissions process. For those of you wondering why I didn't go down the Cambridge Medical program track, I really want to become a doctor here in the US and getting a residency here from a foreign medical school I have learned to be near impossible, hence I want to go to a US medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't find too much information on here about anyone that went to Cambridge undergrad that was planning on applying to U.S. Med Schools.

Without giving too much detail, I have citizenship from an Asian country and am currently studying at Cambridge in their Natural Sciences Program. I've compiled a list of US schools that will accept a UK bachelor's degree in lieu of a US one as long as I fulfill the equivalent prereq's in the UK (which I am set to do with my biology classes).

I know its in general difficult to get into US medical schools as an international applicant but I have to wonder if a prestigious school like Cambridge helps somewhat. If there are any people on here that know of people that went to Cambridge then later came to the US for medical school that'd be great hearing how you did in the admissions process. For those of you wondering why I didn't go down the Cambridge Medical program track, I really want to become a doctor here in the US and getting a residency here from a foreign medical school I have learned to be near impossible, hence I want to go to a US medical school.
US medical school application services don't accept foreign transcripts, so though individual schools might recognize a foreign bachelors degree, they commonly require 30-90 semester hours (1-3 full-time years) of US or Canadian university credits (either undergrad or graduate level). How many exceptions have you found to this general policy from perusing med school websites?

I actually ended up calling each of these schools to verify and they all take a UK undergrad degree as equivalent:

Stanford
Yale
Northwestern
Mt. Sinai (Icahn)
Vanderbilt
Cornell (but they highly prefer a US degree instead, so you "could" apply but low chance)
UCLA
UCSF (but not USCD for some reason)

EDIT: To clarify these are schools that 1) accept a UK undergrad as equivalent and also 2) don't require you to take any more classes in the US to meet their entrance requirements. As long as the prereq's are followed in your UK degree then you should be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A PM from a similar candidate said he found about 20 schools. However, I suspect its more. In the past I have found schools list the 90 credits standard verbiage but elsewhere make exceptions for those with foreign degrees.

Alot of the time they list the 90 credits thing but deep in their requirements or FAQ's they say degrees from the UK/Australia are also accepted. They just seem to vary really wildly. Do you know of anyone who has actually gotten in with a degree from the UK? I haven't been able to find any yet and seeing how they fared would be really helpful.

I actually ended up calling each of these schools to verify and they all take a UK undergrad degree as equivalent:

Stanford
Yale
Northwestern
Mt. Sinai (Icahn)
Vanderbilt
Cornell (but they highly prefer a US degree instead, so you "could" apply but low chance)
UCLA
UCSF (but not USCD for some reason)
Thank you for listing them.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, so my experience was that as of 2011 when I was applying schools were happy to accept an Oxbridge degree as an undergraduate degree, but definitely still wanted prereqs done in the US. I was completing an American PhD program at the time and ended up doing all prereqs in the US on the side. You can have an agency evaluate your transcript and compose a letter stating how they believe it should be translated into American but your marks will not be able to go into AMCAS and my impression is that for most mere mortals your application is going straight into the bin. Without a clear GPA you will be at a huge disadvantage. I would suggest applying broadly, and if you have any opportunity to take some of the prereqs in the US try to do so.

I was also a US citizen at the time which helped. I applied to about forty schools, got five interviews, and ended up attending a very middle of the pack MD institution. Landed well for residency, but it is an uphill battle.

Man so for me... non-US citizen nor green card holder it's going to be even worse for me I presume.

Man so for me... non-US citizen nor green card holder it's going to be even worse for me I presume.

Without residency, and without any US educational experience, it's going to be rough. Even the schools that accept a degree from abroad will mostly likely require some number of credit hours from the US/Canada.

Without residency, and without any US educational experience, it's going to be rough. Even the schools that accept a degree from abroad will mostly likely require some number of credit hours from the US/Canada.

I should have been more clear, the schools I listed don't require credit hours from US/Canada and accept the UK degree by itself.

I should have been more clear, the schools I listed don't require credit hours from US/Canada and accept the UK degree by itself.

As a former student/application screener/adcom person at one of the places you listed, I could only see you having success if you've done something truly outstanding in the medical field prior to matriculation. I'm talking drug development, war zone medic, published author. Not to mention a 520 MCAT.
I'd strongly recommend finding a job in the US and working for a year prior to application. Maybe take a couple of courses at a local college just so you will have a number in the GPA column rather than a zero. If practicing in the US is the ultimate goal I wouldn't rush anything.

As a former student/application screener/adcom person at one of the places you listed, I could only see you having success if you've done something truly outstanding in the medical field prior to matriculation. I'm talking drug development, war zone medic, published author. Not to mention a 520 MCAT.
I'd strongly recommend finding a job in the US and working for a year prior to application. Maybe take a couple of courses at a local college just so you will have a number in the GPA column rather than a zero. If practicing in the US is the ultimate goal I wouldn't rush anything.

I sort of figured all of those schools are a long shot for me with my background. I might head to the US to get a masters... that would work for the GPA column? (Or would it only work for undergraduate courses, not sure). I don't expect to have too much trouble with getting a good MCAT score since I was previously top 50 for US Bio Olympiad in high school. Barring those extraordinary achievements and having great stats as well as the usual shadowing and clinical experience, is there anything else I can do to make myself more attractive to schools?

Have a question about research... I've done quite a bit of research during my studies and even presented at a conference in Boston but the subject was strictly Materials Science so I'm not sure if that would count as research experience for medical school.

1) Barring those extraordinary achievements and having great stats as well as the usual shadowing and clinical experience, is there anything else I can do to make myself more attractive to schools?

2) Have a question about research... I've done quite a bit of research during my studies and even presented at a conference in Boston but the subject was strictly Materials Science so I'm not sure if that would count as research experience for medical school.
1) Add substantive leadership that made a difference.

2) It counts if it was hypothesis-based research based on the scientific method, regardless of the discipline.

I don't expect to have too much trouble with getting a good MCAT score since I was previously top 50 for US Bio Olympiad in high school.

Don't underestimate the MCAT. It is a long, draining exam, and with content in Critical reading, psych, soc, bio, biochem, gen chem, orgo, and physics, there is a lot to know. Be sure to study long and hard for it.