• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Came across interesting practice MMI question

UptempoCat5

2+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm curious on how to even approach this question, being given only 2 minutes to read it and 5-8 minutes to discuss it. Here it is:

Imagine that there are three types of gift cards.

Card Type A costs $500. This card has a 1/500 chance of having a balance of $50,000 and a 499/500 chance of having only $450 in it.

Card Type B costs $50. It has a 1/5 chance of containing $150, a 1/5 chance of containing $50, and a 3/5 chance of having a balance of only $25.

Card Type C costs $5 and always has a balance of $5.

Part A:
You have $1,000 to spend. How would you break down your purchases?

Part B:
Assuming that you’ve won $100,000 by purchasing two Type A gift cards, how would you use this money?

In Part A, are they expecting me to be analytical and calculate the best possible solution, or are they testing how much of a risk-taker I am? In Part B, are they testing whether I'm altruistic or selfish?

About the Ads

iHawk_MD

7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2013
  1. Pre-Medical
what about the 60 percent chance that you lost 50 percent of your initial investment?
If you have $1000, you can buy 20 cards at $50 a pop. Statistically, 4 cards will win $150, 4 cards will win $50, and 12 cards will win $25. Add that up and you end up with $1100, a $100 profit. Rinse and repeat until you're a billionaire!

Reactions: 1 user

A-Fib

2+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2019
  1. Medical Student
I think this is the right answer. Good work
While this is a good answer from the point of view of statistics/probability, when answering a CASPr question you also should touch upon some touchy-feely stuff so that you cover both "This person thinks rationally" and "this person also values human feelings."

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
I'm curious on how to even approach this question, being given only 2 minutes to read it and 5-8 minutes to discuss it. Here it is:

Imagine that there are three types of gift cards.

Card Type A costs $500. This card has a 1/500 chance of having a balance of $50,000 and a 499/500 chance of having only $450 in it.

Card Type B costs $50. It has a 1/5 chance of containing $150, a 1/5 chance of containing $50, and a 3/5 chance of having a balance of only $25.

Card Type C costs $5 and always has a balance of $5.

Part A:
You have $1,000 to spend. How would you break down your purchases?

Part B:
Assuming that you’ve won $100,000 by purchasing two Type A gift cards, how would you use this money?

In Part A, are they expecting me to be analytical and calculate the best possible solution, or are they testing how much of a risk-taker I am? In Part B, are they testing whether I'm altruistic or selfish?

Yes, and yes,

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.