Camp Pendelton Naval Hospital ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RD2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any sugestions for Camp Pendelton US Naval Hospital... living situation on Base or Off ?
Any info appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Any sugestions for Camp Pendelton US Naval Hospital... living situation on Base or Off ?
Any info appreciated.

Oceanside and Carlsbad (N. San Diego County) to the south and the OC to the north. Either way is okay, Oceanside is a little grimy but close. Carlsbad, San Clemente and Dana Point are all nice (higher rents and property values) but farther. I'd probably live in san diego county if given the choice.

I've never lived on base anywhere in 10 yrs in the Navy but it can be a good deal depending on BAH, which is high for that area of the country. I'm not sure about the options at Pendleton but here is the link: http://www.lincolnmilitary.com/camppendleton/

If you don't mind a little drive (30mins to hospital), CP has some the nicest base housing (which is actually off base) in the military. Especially if you like to surf. Big, new places right by the beach in OC. Closer to Trestles than you can park. Otherwise, they have some pretty nice housing that is a lot closer to the hospital, but it is actually on base. I would likely choose to live in Carlsbad or O'side over those other areas. I looked around San Clemente, and places similar to the base housing area would be farther away from the beach and rent for $3000/mo and up.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about Fallbrook?

Fallbrook is way too long of a drive now. Coming through the backdate and driving through pendleton all the way down vandegrift would be at least a 30-45 minute drive. dThe hospital has moved to the main gate. So you're best bets are Oceanside or Carlsbad. Rancho del oro in oceanside is nice - housing developments south of the 76, but north of the 78. College Ave has some good developments off of it as well. Finally, there's a modest, but nice development just north of Lake Guajome. A friend of mine lived there and enjoyed his time. South oceanside is nice as well, which would be a small neighborhood located near the ocean just north of carlsbad. Everyone seems to say that Oceanside is run down. If you live off of Mission blvd, maybe. But otherwise there are some nice and safe housing developments. Enjoy your time at NHCP. Things have changed a bit with the new hospital, but the location is great.

Thanks. I'm not there yet, but considering it for residency. I will set up a 4th year rotation for sure.