All Branch Topic (ABT) HPSP failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DifferentTimes

Reaction score
The reality of HPSP is seen on first contact with uniformed service members at MEPS. HPSP is not suited for young adults with good morals who simply want to pay down student loan debt. If you are troubled by harsh language, crude jokes and lack of respect for the individual, you will not like the MEPS environment which may extend into the training environment. The new normal is discipline by f-bombs and yelling instead of meaningful intensity. We're doing an about-face on HPSP as a plan to pay loans after putting too much trust in the recruiter, Army dentist advisor and military marketing for HPSP. It is not suited for godly people, especially young females.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, sounds like you have a lot to unpack. I guess you should tell all us Christians, Jews, and Muslims in the military that we’re not being godly people. And make sure you tell all the women in the military that it’s not a job suited for them. They’ll be so happy to hear that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That is a huge difference from my experiences at MEPS over the years. Everyone, including young females, were treated respectfully.

Reactions: 1 users
The reality of HPSP is seen on first contact with uniformed service members at MEPS. HPSP is not suited for young adults with good morals who simply want to pay down student loan debt. If you are troubled by harsh language, crude jokes and lack of respect for the individual, you will not like the MEPS environment which may extend into the training environment. The new normal is discipline by f-bombs and yelling instead of meaningful intensity. We're doing an about-face on HPSP as a plan to pay loans after putting too much trust in the recruiter, Army dentist advisor and military marketing for HPSP. It is not suited for godly people, especially young females.
“Meaningful Intensity” is my new band name

• Haha
I’m not Christian, but I’m pretty sure Jesus spent his company among the homeless, destitute, and prostitutes. He wasn’t really hanging around the “godly people” of the day. In fact, they wanted him dead. Generally speaking, people in the military are mostly from working class and blue collar backgrounds. The language is a reflection of their background. You basically are left with two choices, insulate yourself from the world or be a part of it.

Reactions: 4 users
The military isn’t suited for ANYONE who “simply wants to pay down student loan debt”. The active and prior military docs on this forum try at length to make this very obvious BEFORE you get to MePS. But glad you figured out it wasn’t for you before you hit the fleet. Saves all of us a lot of pain dealing with an unhappy partner a few years from now.

Reactions: 4 users
To be fair, you’ll still have unhappy partners. But it is one less.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems you prefer sweet to salty.

If you are going into medicine, prepare to change your expectations radically if you want to be effective. Your post makes you appear to be a fairly naive and inexperienced person without a broad experience of the world with persons unlike yourself (and I am being charitable in saying this.)

You can have whatever personal moral standards you want, but you cannot reasonably expect those who you work with in a public enterprise to completely share your worldview. Foul language may or may not be an indicator of character or education, and it isn't something to be celebrated, (but it is sometimes funny) but you had best not allow yourself to be rattled by it. Godliness sounds nice, but a reasonable person might better appreciate it rather than expect it.

MEPS takes all comers, enlisted grunts for all services, 18-year-olds who need some fast growing-up and scattered among them, a few officer candidates and even fewer HPSP entrants. It is no more representative of HPSP than the DMV is of World Rally Cup driving.

Wow how did I miss this thread all week?!?

:welcome:

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought MEPS was great when I went through. And by great I mean highly entertaining.

At the time I had been married for a few years and had a kid and felt like I had my head square on my shoulder. My local MEPS facility was a couple hours drive away. I arrived at the hotel the night before and found it completely overrun with (what seemed like) high schoolers having a great time and having no real idea what was in store for them.

When my roommate for the night found out we had to be up at 0400 he was like “that’s when I usually go to bed!”

It was a long, tedious day but I went away with some pretty funny stories to tell my wife when I got home. Good times.

Then a few weeks later I got the check reimbursing me for gas and meals for the drive there and back. I promptly called my recruiter and said “this has to be a mistake, I only spent like 50 bucks and this check is for 325”

I thought, surly they wouldn’t waste money like this! Oh how naive I was at the time.

LOL

I remember the navy corpsman running the MEPS process running around, yelling at everyone to tell him if you felt you weren't receiving 'red carpet treatment'.

I agree, if MEPS was that overpowering, the .mil is not right for you.

I thought, surly they wouldn’t waste money like this! Oh how naive I was at the time.

Unrelated to the OP, but probably relatable to most with a military background:

As a resident I went to Rochester, MN for a microvascular course (Mayo). So, at the time, the Army was covering a TON of training courses, which was great.

We had to go through Carlson, of course, to book travel.

Two people, flights to Minneapolis, then layover, then a flight to Rochester, no rental car, then the same route back a week later. Total cost: $1400/person for the travel alone.

Obviously we wanted a rental car. We were willing to pay for it if need be. We were also unhappy that the layover in Minneapolis was 5 hours. So we did a little look-see, and we could fly out to Minneapolis, rent a car, drive 90 minutes to Rochester, get there 3 1/2 hours earlier, and it would have cost something like $600/person including the rental car.

Of course they wouldn’t do it. Carlson has to fly you to the closest location, even if it costs a billion extra dollars. Doesn’t matter.

So we just ditched the second flight and rented a car out of pocket.

Or, one time I had to backfill in Fairbanks, AK in Dec. I cancelled something like 90 clinic patients and 16 surgeries, flew up there, saw literally 12 patients, and did two minor surgeries, never got a single on-call phone call. Made it to the airport on my return day and was told the flight was cancelled. Carlson said they would be able to get my out of Fairbanks by 4 Jan. This was the 23rd of Dec. so I got online and found four flights leaving within 12 hours, all with available seats. Had a layover in Seattle, missed the connection due to delays, and again they told me there were no available flights - this time for two weeks. So I got online and found another flight the same day with open seats the same day.

And these weren’t off-brand airlines it was like Alaska and American. Ultimately booking these new flights last minute ended up being cheaper than what Carlson had done originally, even though it was the same route. And that’s not counting what they would have spent on rooms and per diem keeping me in Fairbanks for an extra week.

I kind of feel like that is a microcosm of my entire military experience. Having to do everything myself because the assigned person is either too incompetent, too lazy, or too hamstringed by bureaucracy to do thinks effectively, and all at twice the cost.

Last edited:

If MEPS hurt your feelings, then yeah you made the right call.

I remember being the oldest person in the room at MEPS when I went. Had some miscommunications with my recruiter about my max body fat percentage. Turns out I failed tape by .5%. Took my packet back to the Army liaison and I said "well I need to come back it looks like and schedule an eye consult for my eyes for a waiver. He opens my chart and says "WE ain't scheduling s%$#! You're too fat! My advice to you is eat less and move more!" and he threw my packet down on the desk.

I also remember at MEPS watching an 18 year old get destroyed by a Marine SGT who happened to walk through the waiting area and see the young kid with his feet up on the chair in front of him......ohhhh that was funny.

During med school I participated in a two week international operational medicine course outside of London completely paid for. To top it off, DOD/contractors then paid for 4 of us to drive a sprinter van full of supplies from London to Germany. We stopped in France (Normandy and Paris) for two nights before dropping the gear in Germany. Next day we took a car and spent a night in Amsterdam then caught a ferry from Netherlands back to England for our flight home out of London.

Waste of money? Yes. Great experience? Yes. Saw the world? Yes.

Have had plenty of similar issues regarding Carlson/SATO/whatever. At the end of the day the trips were paid for with no money out of my pocket and I usually was able to arrange it on United DOD contracts or whatever other partner they were using at the time to harvest free miles/points. Double whammy.

Been through MEPS multiple times now. First as a naive marine recruit en route to Parris Island, then did a stint as a reserve corpsman in the clinic, then re-eval before starting USUHS. Entire time I was reminded of why I continued to work towards higher education and challenging career. Helped me better understand the people I worked alongside and now continue to serve with. Every experience is valuable in some way, the trick is figuring out what that value is for yourself and path in life.

The current and former system of wasting money, time and manpower is not sustainable. Hence why we are seeing these changes. Still exorbitant amounts of waste and inefficiency but trending towards better business model. Long way to go. Will never equal private sector examples. Worth the headaches, hassles and frustrations with the rare payoff of benefits and covered expenses? That is for each individual to decide.

Wait until you meet actual patients in the civilian world ....

I’m sure if you report it they’ll swoop right in and fix that issue. The one with the 18 year olds signing up for the marine corps who also have potty mouths. That wheel is squeaking and ripe for a fix.

“What’s that? Swearing you say?!

General McClary, get me the RED phone! This will not stand!”

Also, I probably wouldn’t mention the “lack of respect for individuals” part, as that is the military’s, you know, main thing. It’s kind of what they do and what they’re known for. Either you’re just a number on a billet, or you’re some guy they’re killing, either way not much respect for the individual.

Last edited:
I’m sure if you report it they’ll swoop right in and fix that issue. The one with the 18 year olds signing up for the marine corps who also have potty mouths. That wheel is squeaking and ripe for a fix.

“What’s that? Swearing you say?!

General McClary, get me the RED phone! This will not stand!”

Also, I probably wouldn’t mention the “lack of respect for individuals” part, as that is the military’s, you know, main thing. It’s kind of what they do and what they’re known for. Either you’re just a number on a billet, or you’re some guy they’re killing, either way not much respect for the individual.

Yeah sounds like he skipped that station at MEPS where they give us that nifty brain implant that removes our sense of individual self....

The military isn’t suited for ANYONE who “simply wants to pay down student loan debt”. The active and prior military docs on this forum try at length to make this very obvious BEFORE you get to MePS. But glad you figured out it wasn’t for you before you hit the fleet. Saves all of us a lot of pain dealing with an unhappy partner a few years from now.
I was thinking the EXACT same thing! lol