campbell or azom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybesomeday

Reaction score
AZCOM
Pros
  • nice location, close to niece (Tuscon)
  • good rotation sites in locations I would enjoy being at/ some are closer to family like Chicago
  • near a big city which i'm more used to and enjoy being around
Cons
  • frequent testing/graded, no time to take a break according to med student @ interview
  • hot summers
  • expensive (70-75k)
  • far from family/close friends in MI

Campbell-CUSOM
Pros
  • good match list/boards
  • seemed like a friendly school
  • a little closer to home by plane (2 hrs closer)
  • cheaper tuition (50-55k)
Cons
  • rural area
  • I'm not Christian and also not white so kinda makes me nervous since I have no idea how much diversity is there
  • graded

Members don't see this ad.

Campbell is a pretty solid school.

Your cons aren’t really cons
It’s more suburban rather than rural (it’s only 45 minutes from Raleigh). I don’t think not being Christian and not white is an issue with Campbell (what gives you that impression?)

Graded or not graded, you still have to pass your classes.

AZCOM is not worth 75K in tuition and over 100K in cost of living.

Campbell is a pretty solid school.

Your cons aren’t really cons
It’s more suburban rather than rural (it’s only 45 minutes from Raleigh). I don’t think not being Christian and not white is an issue with Campbell (what gives you that impression?)

Graded or not graded, you still have to pass your classes.

AZCOM is not worth 75K in tuition and over 100K in cost of living.
Everyone at the interview session & students I’ve talked to have been white which is fine I would just prefer a more diverse student body. Also Christianity is in their mission, I’ve heard from students that it doesn’t matter as much but thinking of my mother who wears a hijab being at my white coat ceremony makes me nervous from previous experiences but I could just be paranoid about that. I appreciate your insight tho, I’ll need to check out Raleigh, never been to NC

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone at the interview session & students I’ve talked to have been white which is fine I would just prefer a more diverse student body. Also Christianity is in their mission, I’ve heard from students that it doesn’t matter as much but thinking of my mother who wears a hijab being at my white coat ceremony makes me nervous from previous experiences but I could just be paranoid about that. I appreciate your insight tho, I’ll need to check out Raleigh, never been to NC
The truth is no matter where you go to school, unless it’s an HBCU like Morehouse, Howard or Meharry, majority of students will be white. I was the only black male (along with 2 black females) that graduated in a class of 148. There were a handful of brown students and muslims as well - some openly wearing Hijab. Our race was never an issue, and that was in a very conservative state (Arkansas). So do not let that deter you! You will be fine!

When I interviewed at CUSOM 6 years ago, it didn’t seem like religion was something that was overly emphasized there at all. Granted I did not attend the school, but I think someone somewhere would have mentioned something here on SDN (for example LUCOM) if that was the case.

Raleigh is a pretty fun, diverse, and decent sized city. I have visited many times and there’s always lots to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The truth is no matter where you go to school, unless it’s an HBCU like Morehouse, Howard or Meharry, majority of students will be white. I was the only black male (along with 2 black females) that graduated in a class of 148. There were a handful of brown students and muslims as well - some openly wearing Hijab. Our race was never an issue, and that was in a very conservative state (Arkansas). So do not let that deter you! You will be fine!

When I interviewed at CUSOM 6 years ago, it didn’t seem like religion was something that was overly emphasized there at all. Granted I did not attend the school, but I think someone somewhere would have been mentioned something here on SDN (for example LUCOM) if that was the case.

Raleigh is a pretty fun, diverse, and decent sized city. I have visited many times and there’s always lots to do.
Those are really good points. Thank you so much! :)

Those are really good points. Thank you so much! :)
I toured the school and it is a very diverse student body, and religion is not emphasized. If you have any questions i went to their admitted students day

Reactions: 1 user