MSW Can a 2.9 GPA get into grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chessy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a senior with a 3.0 with a 3.1 in my major. I plan on applying to MSW programs and one counseling program but I'm a worried that my GPA will drop this semester. Not too low but i expect at least a 2.9. In the event it does, will I still have a chance at grad school? Most of the ones I'm applying to require a 3.0 and they also dont require the GRE, but I'm thinking about taking it in the event my GPA wont cut it. So far, the schools I'm applying to that don't require the GRE but need 3.0s are:

NYU
RUTGERS
SETON HALL (the only one that needs a 2.5 gpa)
FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON UNIVERSITY (for clinical mental health counseling)

I plan on applying soon but I'm also thinking about apply after the spring semester, so I can get my GPA up. What's the best option? Should I apply later, take the gre (even though it's not required), or should I still apply now? Also if anyone knows of any schools that dont require the gre (preferably in NJ or NY), please let me know. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I’d advise to work on your GPA. The school near me that does counseling psych has cohorts with at least a 3.5 and there is a GRE requirement. Is recommend the GRE to offset your lower GPA too. I don’t know much about the other schools but unless you have a great statement and amazing LOrs to offset your GPA Rutgers may not be realistic.

I would say it really depends. A lot of schools may automatically throw your application out if you do not meet at least the minimum requirement (if 3.0 is required) to get in. I would say that other schools may be more interested in your actual experience as opposed to treating you like a number. If, for instance, you worked as a mental health tech and have a few years experience doing that while simultaneously completing school, or worked on a research project which took up a lot of your time and resources, schools may give you a chance.

In any case, I would plan on studying and taking the GRE as this can offset any poor GPA if your score is high enough. I cannot speak to these schools specifically as to what they consider in an applicant but boost your application as much as possible beforehand would be my recommendation.

Members don't see this ad :)
IF you don't meet the minimum stated GPA, you're automatically out so don't bother applying. It's generally a school-wide policy for grad programs and not department specific. Get you GPA up. Study for the GRE and do well to try to offset your GPA a bit. Try to show an upward trend in your grades if you still have time. NYU and Rutgers would be high reaches at best even if you squeak by with a 3.0. I can't speak much to the other two.

IF you don't meet the minimum stated GPA, you're automatically out so don't bother applying. It's generally a school-wide policy for grad programs and not department specific.

Not always. I have known a few people who have had stellar GRE scores and had below the GPA requirement (3.0). They still got a spot in their program. GPA is still important, but it is not ALWAYS the case their app will be tossed.

Reactions: 1 user
Not always. I have known a few people who have had stellar GRE scores and had below the GPA requirement (3.0). They still got a spot in their program. GPA is still important, but it is not ALWAYS the case their app will be tossed.

Not always the case no, but it makes it harder. I see people with lower stats get in mainly if they stand out in some other way or they are a minority and the school wants more diversity. But most places have enough stellar applicants they have no reason to look at those with subpar GPAs.