can a 25, 3.97, awesome everything else get me in these schools.....or interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can a 25, 3.97, awesome everything else get me in these schools.....or at least an Interview...honestly?

albert einstein
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson medical college
Mount Sinai
New York Medical
Temple
Tufts
University of connecticut.

Members don't see this ad.

theDr.,

I know you're nervous... with your scores, I think you have a shot at an interview at Drexel, Temple... I'd be pretty sceptical about Einstein.... but check out the applicant profiles - if everything else is solid, you never know.

Also, are you a URM? If so, then you have a great shot at all of those schools.... If not, is there any way you could re-take in August?

Best of Luck!

- Quid

I am not an URM, bit i have been published, worked numerous hours with doctors, working the ER of my local hospital as a ER tech...etc. I can't take it in august because I numerous personal obligations I must meet by the end of august and I do not feel 5 weeks will enough to ensure I will do much better. i do want to take it in august and get a similar score or worse. Know what I mean? what do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
It realy depends if your MCAT score is skewed or if you received pretty even scores. It's going to take a lot to be accepted anywhere with a 25. It is harder t offset a low MCAT with a high GPA than a low GPA with a high MCAT. Almost everyone has great EC's so those are harder to judge. You have a chance at admission inot these schools but it is a slight chance. Retake the MCAT next April if you don't get in this year!!!!!!!

Yeah, I know what you mean...

Do any of the doctors you've worked with or people you've done research with have connections at any of the med schools you listed? If so, that might help...

Don't give up; apply to a bunch of schools, and give it a shot - the worst that can happen is that you won't get in - but that is a definite if you don't even try.

Good Luck...

- Quid :)

What was your major and your course load like? If you have a tough major and took some tough classes you'll probably be okay. If your major was easy and you took some easy courses then your MCAT will 'expose' you. You should really reconsider those obligations and retake the MCAT in august if you're set on applying this year especially considering the schools your're interested in. Good luck.

Do i even stand a chance with a 25? I really can't take the test in August. I

hi,
bottomline is that you do have a shot. Not as good a shot as the average applicant, especially if this score is not your first try at the mcat. Apply to mid-tier medical schools to give yourself the best chance. My classmate from undergrad possessed similar gpa and mcat stats and she was accepted into a VA public medical school, waitlisted then accepted i should add. I wish you the best!

p.s. you have nothing to lose but everything to gain! APPLY!

Originally posted by theDr.
Do i even stand a chance with a 25? I really can't take the test in August. I

I think if you've taken some hard core sciences and didn't major in communications you have a shot. If your course load per semester is filled w/ 9 credits of basket weaving and only 3 credits of legitimate 300/400 science courses you better retake the MCAT whenever you can. You'll always have a shot w/ that GPA, great exp, and LORs and if money is no object go ahead and apply anyway. Good luck.

this was my first mcat score. What do you think about the schools I am applying to? thanks

I am also not a URM...shouldn't matter...bu whatever..how sad.

why don't you retake the MCAT while applying? did you take PR or Kaplan, because i think they both offer a cheaper repeat fee.

You should retake the MCAT

Your list of schools, I don't think you'd pass the initial screening phase for any of them. Perhaps, you might have a small, small chance at GW but you should really,re take the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about all my other experiences..etc. Those don't matter? So why do pre-meds even bother with them?

I believe that most schools screen applicants by minimal gpa/mcat standards before even bothering to look at the application. For example a school might automatically reject anyone with lower than 28/3.4 except for urm's, which they would screen separately. I have no facts to base this on, only my personal opinion. If my theory is true than no amount of ec's would do you any good if you can't pass the initial screening.

Those #'s are to high......i dont belive any schools have cut off's that competitive. USF has a cut off of 3.0 and 24. those schools he is applying to have average mcats of 26. Dont worry man. If that is the only strike, you should get into a SOME medical school.

I would apply to a lot of schools and apply EARLY. I think with your credentials you will get into a few schools. I know people who have performed similar to you and are now in medical school.

i sent my applications in this week..that early enough?

How long is the wait between AMCAS and secondaries?

I am basically in the same conundrum as the original poster... except that I attend a school that has no grades... we have narrative evaluations only. That being said, I do have about 40 hours of a 4.0 GPA before I transferred into said college. Everything else in my application is prime material that will stand-out from the masses... that is, if they bother to look past my "average" MCAT score. I am retaking the MCAT in August... I just need to improve my Sciences scores a little, but my Verbal score (the most vital section, in my opinion, since you can "learn" the sciences) was great!

I'm applying to some high-class schools: UCSF, Stanford, U-Chicago, NWestern, Tulane, Vandy, Emory, Baylor, and GW... plus a couple of state schools where I am guaranteed an automatic interview.

I guess my question for y'all is this... should I contact these namebrand schools and request that they delay the review of my application until I retake? It is noted on my AMCAS that I am retaking...

I just don't want them to reject me solely on the basis of a standardized test score because I know I could get into any of those schools otherwise... I'm not a cookiecutter pre-med in the least! ;)