Can a Counseling Psychologist receive certification in clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurefreud2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to know, if I become a counseling psychologist, could I get certified as a clinical psychologist? Or would I have to do another doctoral? I know the differences are minimal, but like I said, I have always wanted to be best friends with the DSM.

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to know, if I become a counseling psychologist, could I get certified as a clinical psychologist? Or would I have to do another doctoral? I know the differences are minimal, but like I said, I have always wanted to be best friends with the DSM.

Why wouldn't a counseling psychologist be "best friends" with the DSM?

Perhaps another question is why you would be applying to a counseling psych program if you want to have a clinical psych identity.

And while the two tracks have more in common than not, I would not say the differences are minimal. It's going to be very program dependent but there are clear differences in philosophy. You do a search on here for more info.

Reactions: 1 user
Being "best friends" with the DSM would be make you a poor critical thinker...

Members don't see this ad :)
Being "best friends" with the DSM would be make you a poor critical thinker...
What he said. I think you will see a steady stream of professions embracing the ICD as they abandon the DSM. That thing is a poorly built sinking ship wrought more from politics than from science.

While there may be differences in philosophy, there is really nothing a graduate of the counseling psychology phd program at the state school in my city can't do (clinically) that a graduate of the clinical psychology program would from that same school.