Can a dentist in general practice prescribe pain killers?

Started by RootCanal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RootCanal

I
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With the strict rules now a days, can general dentists prescribe drugs like hydrocodone, oxycodone etc? I know usually they will just tell the patient to take advil or something.
 
Ask in dental to be sure, but I would bet the answer is yes. dentists are doctors, and have full rights as such as long as it makes sense in the dental context.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i believe the answer is yes...because the dentist i volunteered for prescribed painkillers to a patient who just had a root canal done...
 
Yes, dentists can prescribe just about anything. A few weeks ago my boss prescribed a lady yeast-infection meds because she kept complaining that seeing her doc. was too expensive!!!!!! I'm not joking, though I really wish I was...
 
Yes, dentists can prescribe just about anything. A few weeks ago my boss prescribed a lady yeast-infection meds because she kept complaining that seeing her doc. was too expensive!!!!!! I'm not joking, though I really wish I was...
Are you serious? Isn't that out of our scope? I always thought we would be limited to antibiotics, painkillers and maybe anxiety meds? (not sure about that last one but so many people panic at the dentist). Then again I guess no one questions why antibiotics are being prescribed? Maybe he can get away with it.
 
Yes....dentists can prescribe painkillers from schedule II drugs up...including percocet, vicodin, tylenol 3 etc.....
 
is that you in the picture........man so ugly......



Are you serious? Isn't that out of our scope? I always thought we would be limited to antibiotics, painkillers and maybe anxiety meds? (not sure about that last one but so many people panic at the dentist). Then again I guess no one questions why antibiotics are being prescribed? Maybe he can get away with it.
 
What do you have to do to get your DEA number after graduation of dental school, so you can prescribe these drugs?
 
Pain meds are some of the most frequently prescribed dental medications in existence. Amoxicillin & Vicodin are the two drugs I've Rx'ed the most, and I've prescribed those as much as everything else combined.

Aphistis, I've got to say I like the look of DDS after your name a lot better than that count down you had going before. Congratulations.
 
is that you in the picture........man so ugly......

Why the hate from everyone? No, this isn't me. This is Jim from The Office. Since you seem so interested, I am 6'1", 195 lbs, brown hair, blue eyes, got sort of a 5 o clock shadow thing going on. Should I send you a personal add with my photo or something?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why the hate from everyone? No, this isn't me. This is Jim from The Office. Since you seem so interested, I am 6'1", 195 lbs, brown hair, blue eyes, got sort of a 5 o clock shadow thing going on. Should I send you a personal add with my photo or something?

and you're secretly in love with Pam.....I love that show
 
Are you serious? Isn't that out of our scope? I always thought we would be limited to antibiotics, painkillers and maybe anxiety meds? (not sure about that last one but so many people panic at the dentist). Then again I guess no one questions why antibiotics are being prescribed? Maybe he can get away with it.


It is still in our scope of practice to perscribe diflucan for fungal infections. Think about thrush.

I will occasionally perscribe it when I perscribe an antibiotic and pain reliever when I extract teeth to help women that get yeast infections from antibiotic use.