Can A graduate of a AOA rads program get IR??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lylengeit8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning/ hoping for a career as a radiologist esp IR. (Love short quick procedures!) Anyways here's my question, if one graduates from an AOA approved Diagnostic Radiology program can one get a ACGME IR fellowship????? If so, does he/she qualify to be board certified by ABR?

Thanks,
Lylengeit

Members don't see this ad.

not really sure what an AOA-approved program is from an ACGME program... But of course you can get into an IR fellowship!!!! duh.....

I don't know about the question of getting into a fellowship from an AOA accredited residency, but to be eligible for ABR certification in VIR you must do 1 year of fellowship in an ACGME or RCPSC accredited VIR fellowshop plus 1 additional year of either practice or training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi sorry for the confusion. I really would like to do VIR as my career, however I'm afraid that won't be possible if I go to an AOA approved Diagnostic Radiology residency.

I went to the ABR website to look under the requirements to sit for the VIR boards and it states that you must graduate from a program approved by the ACGME or RCPSC. My question is, if you graduate from an Osteopathic Diagnostic Rads program:
1. Will the ACGME accreditied VIR fellowships accept you?
2. Will you qualify to sit for the ABR boards eventhough you graduated from an Osteopathic DR program?

Thanks again,
Lylengeit

Hello

I am also a DO and recently graduated from Oklahoma State Univ. Medical Center in Tulsa. This was an AOA approved program. I did not have any trouble finding a job or getting accepted to the fellowship program of my choice. Most fellowships in radiology are easy to get into because there is still plenty of jobs available for new graduates. IR is probably one of the easiest fellowship to get into. If current conditions continue, you should have no problem attending an ACGME IR fellowship after attending an AOA approved radiology residency. If you attend an ACGME fellowship, you may obtain a CAQ in IR, but you will not be board certified by the ABR. You will obtain certification from the AOBR. I am AOBR certified but I will not sit for a CAQ exam since my fellowship is in MRI and there is no such certificate. There is only one AOA approved fellowship in IR and that is at Oklahoma State. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions you may contact me. 937 344 4748.