Can a tb test put you out of work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

James401

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started volunteering at a hospital. This being my first time I had to get all the shots and tests done. But I was just thinking after I got my tb test (which was negative btw) what if you were a doctor or nurse and then became diagnosed with tb. Are you then put out of work?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently started volunteering at a hospital. This being my first time I had to get all the shots and tests done. But I was just thinking after I got my tb test (which was negative btw) what if you were a doctor or nurse and then became diagnosed with tb. Are you then put out of work?

With appropriate antibiotic treatment, TB can be cured in most people.

e.g. isoniazid and rifampicin

With appropriate antibiotic treatment, TB can be cured in most people.

e.g. isoniazid and rifampicin

Doesn't it take a fair amount of time to cure? Like 6 months to a year? And even then goes dormant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't it take a fair amount of time to cure? Like 6 months to a year? And even then goes dormant.

The VAST majority of TB detected in screening PPDs is latent TB. That basically means it is not actively causing infection and can't be transmitted to others. The standard of care is 6-9 months of Isoniazid. Then you are essentially 'cured.' Even without the Isoniazid ~90% of people with latent TB will never convert to active TB.

Active TB is very different from latent TB. Active TB means you are actually sick. Cough, night sweats, feel crappy, etc. Active TB would put you out of work because you could transmit it to others. That requires a three drug regimen (sometimes 4) and isolation.

People in their 20s are unlikely to have active TB unless they are immunocompromised due to HIV/AIDs or something like chronic steroid use.

Also FYI --- Latent TB found on PPD is way more common than you think. As a med student I have been exposed to multiple patients with TB (before they were in isolation) and know several nurses who ended up being treated for latent TB. If you work in a urban hospital or anywhere near the US-Mexico border you will likely be exposed to patients with active TB multiple times a year. It's a risk that goes with being a healthcare worker.

The VAST majority of TB detected in screening PPDs is latent TB. That basically means it is not actively causing infection and can't be transmitted to others. The standard of care is 6-9 months of Isoniazid. Then you are essentially 'cured.' Even without the Isoniazid ~90% of people with latent TB will never convert to active TB.

Active TB is very different from latent TB. Active TB means you are actually sick. Cough, night sweats, feel crappy, etc. Active TB would put you out of work because you could transmit it to others. That requires a three drug regimen (sometimes 4) and isolation.

People in their 20s are unlikely to have active TB unless they are immunocompromised due to HIV/AIDs or something like chronic steroid use.

Also FYI --- Latent TB found on PPD is way more common than you think. As a med student I have been exposed to multiple patients with TB (before they were in isolation) and know several nurses who ended up being treated for latent TB. If you work in a urban hospital or anywhere near the US-Mexico border you will likely be exposed to patients with active TB multiple times a year. It's a risk that goes with being a healthcare worker.

I had a positive TB test last year and was still able to volunteer in the hospital. When I got back my results I was a bit worried but my doctor basically said it's no big deal. She herself had tested positive and it never prevented her from practicing. As link2swim said latent TB is no big deal and pretty easy to pick up working with certain populations.

Well that was some really good information. Thank you. They just made it seem that If tested positive I was out of luck. I guess if they didn't allow people who had latent tb work the healthcare system would be pretty bare.