can an avg student with a 251 match ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amherstguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i am an avg student but somehow i got really lucky and managed a 251 on the step 1. i go to a top 25 med school but have no research and no publications. i want to match ortho i dont particularly care where (though at a major city would be nice), first two years are completely P/F and i passed everything. third year maybe i anticipate a few high passes hopefully at least honors surgery. what do u guys suggest i do to match ortho? take a year for research, get a small project and apply?? where do you think i should shoot for aways??

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are fine, so at this point it's your personality and interaction with residents and attendings that will make or break your application.

You're in good position.

Couple things:

1) I have been told that you gotta honor Surgery.

2) Given that something like 70% of successful applicants participate in some kind of research, it would behoove you to get involved in something (anything). It's not hard. Search around, find an existing project, do some light work. Participating, even without a pub, is still an advantage. And you never know, sometimes their really nice to students and tack your name on a paper/poster just to help you out.

3) Aways are going to be crucial for you.

4) Make contact with your home program's Ortho Dept Chair. Sit down, talk to him, ask for advice. Do this now.