Can an international student be considered URM?

Started by Orims
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Orims

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if some international students can still be considered URM? I was born and raised in Mexico but moved to the US for college 9 years ago. Whenever I tell people I am applying to med school (after my PhD, long story), they tell me I should have a fair shot since I am URM and have a compelling story/strong application (seen as if I was not international). However I am cautiously optimistic since I am still international and I know admissions for internationals are a lot more difficult. To this date I still don't have residency so next year I will be applying as an international, however I was wondering if international students can still be considered URM given their country of origin.