can an md learn omm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

als12179

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for someone going the allopathic route to somehow take an OMM course or in some way learn manipulation?

Members don't see this ad.

als12179 said:
Is it possible for someone going the allopathic route to somehow take an OMM course or in some way learn manipulation?
Warning:​

You are about to receive a flood of variations of the following:
"Do a search."
Sarcasm such as "No, MD's are incapable of learning that." "Why would you want to learn that if you're a real doctor?"
"Read the FAQ."
"Are you a troll?"
"This has been discussed ad nauseum, newbie."

or someone like me could actually be nice and just say yes they can. They can take a class and learn it just like we can go into all specialties. At the end of they day M.D.'s and D.O.'s can do all of the same things if they choose to.

Members don't see this ad :)
JimmyMallo said:
or someone like me could actually be nice and just say yes they can. They can take a class and learn it just like we can go into all specialties. At the end of they day M.D.'s and D.O.'s can do all of the same things if they choose to.

Thanks, so where can you take a class? I mean can you enroll in one at an osteopathic school, or do you have to do some sort of fellowship or something?

JimmyMallo said:
But they still can't do an Osteopathic residency! :D

Do a search on Harvard and OMM. They are maybe, kinda sorta, possibly considering having their own OMM course. I think mostly on an elective basis. Haven't heard any detail lately.

Or just wait five years (give or take). Harvard's a leader, and they've got followers. You'll probably see OMM courses at an allopathic school near you.

NS

I think that this is an excellent question. OMT is a very helpful tool that ALL physicians could use as a treatment option. Some Allopathic schools are looking into implementing OMT into their curriculum. The University of Kentucky (I am almost positive) is looking to implement OMT into their curriculum. One of the doctors that teaches OMT here at PCSOM is currently working with UK on developing a program that you are asking about.

I personally think that MDs learning OMT is wonderful. Believe it or not, it really does help the person receiving therapy. I am just a first year medical student and can already treat multiple musculoskeletal dysfunctions. I have been treated multiple times for expired ribs, A/O dyfunctions, and cranially and it helps me tremendously.

The only reservation that have about any professional learning OMT is this. It should be added into their two year curriculum. We have OMT for two straight years in osteopathic schools to help us develop our skills and understand the philosophy. You really cannot teach everything about OMT in a weekend seminar, simply because there is too much to learn and the skill takes some time and practice to develop.

Although it is an extra class for medical school (and we are already overloaded ;) ) it really helps you to learn Neuroanatomy, Gross Anatomy, and to develop your clinical skills such as performing physical exams on patients.

I dont mean to offend anyone by this statement, but if you are that interested in using OMT, maybe you would be best served by going to an Osteopathic School. Nothing against Allopathic institutions, because they are excellent as well, but you seem to be more interested in the Osteopathic approach to medicine.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to discuss OMT with you in further detail. I wish you luck in your medical training!

You could do an OMM fellowship. One of the pm&r docs at msucom is an m.d. and she did the fellowship.

Michigan St. does professional continuing education as does the Upledger Ins.

Aaron Earles said:
I dont mean to offend anyone by this statement, but if you are that interested in using OMT, maybe you would be best served by going to an Osteopathic School. Nothing against Allopathic institutions, because they are excellent as well, but you seem to be more interested in the Osteopathic approach to medicine.

It's often not that simple. I'm really into the DO philosophy and like the OP, want to learn OMT. I did apply to several DO schools, but I got into my state school and frankly though I do want to learn OMT, it's not worth an extra 20k in tution/year in my mind.

And lets not forget the fact that OMT aside, as an MD you have a slightly easier road into some specialties.

The bottom line is that it's an oversimplification to say that if you want to know OMT, you should be a DO. OMT is a treatment modality that I'd like to learn, nothing more, nothing less.

jkhamlin said:
Warning:​

You are about to receive a flood of variations of the following:
"Do a search."
Sarcasm such as "No, MD's are incapable of learning that." "Why would you want to learn that if you're a real doctor?"
"Read the FAQ."
"Are you a troll?"
"This has been discussed ad nauseum, newbie."

i think if MDs started to use OMT the word would spread about the DO philosophy and it would help give DOs a better reputation A lot of the misconceptions are just for lack of knowledge..