Can anesthesiologists charge more for "after 10PM" duties like ER docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aneftp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted something similar on the ER message board. But my wife had to go to the ER a couple months ago.

I got this ridiculous service cod 99053 (Looked it up and) it's really a service "surcharge" for physician services rendered after 10PM at the ER. It's only $34 but come on. This is outrageous.

I did some searching and some insurance companies actually pay for this.

Keep in mind, I already got bill 100% of the ER professional fee (no insurance discount)...he billed as out of network to began with. I will let him slide with that. And already paid the facility fee also.

But charging $34 for "surcharge after 10PM". If ER docs do this, why don't anesthesiologist surcharge $50 for epidurals after 10PM as well?

I know one of the Harvard hospitals ER physician groups decided to pay back more than $500K collected with these after 10PM surcharges.

And you think why healthcare costs are outrageous. This is very creative billing here.

Members don't see this ad.

I've always thought I should get paid more for working in the middle of the night. I've never tried this code though. And this has nothing to do with rising healthcare costs. Look to utilization fur those answers.

E for emergency = extra unit or two as I recall. Perfectly legitimate in most cases, including non-scheduled C-sections.

But simply a surcharge for after 10pm? Nah.

Members don't see this ad :)
The after 10pm charge is known as one part of the hospital subsidy.

This brings up all sorts of potential creative charging. I'm thinking of a surcharge for a lines I have to insert left handed. The high maintenance, primmadonna surgeon fee. Extra fee for working in the noon hour (hey it's lunch.)

Of course, you could send a bill for anything you want but I'm surprised the er's have successfully negotiated to get paid this fee.